Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke with my DS today, who informed me that although the "security packaged" is included on my invoice, they cant provide it to the Australian market.

I also spoke with a buddy who ordered a P85D the day before me, and he has just got his VIN. The DS agreed that it's likely we will all get the cars in the same delivery.

Apparently VIN's are allocated 4 to 6 weeks prior to production. This seems to reinforce the speculation that our cars will go into production from around the 20th of June, because of the end of quarter delivery/reporting.

I would love to do the factory tour. It's a pity you can't take photos to show us.

Hej Trav,
I'm sure I read somewhere from a Tesla official site that VINs are typically allocated around 7 weeks before production commences.

I can't understand how VINs are allocated (or reservation numbers for that matter). Seems to be completely arbitrary. Maybe its dependent on user options, current volume of paint colors (sic), phases of the moon, whatever...

My DS says that they don't actually get informed about VINs being allocated - we are first to get that on the MyTesla website. But he seems to have some insider knowledge direct from Fremont that the Aussie cars, with the consent of the St Leonards staff agreeing to work above and beyond the call of duty, are all scheduled to arrive around the same time in the month of September. That is instead of an original planned staggered delivery from Sep to Late Oct.

So it does seem we are all in the same boat... and we are all a little sea sick.

But when all is said and done... I STILL DON'T HAVE MY VIN YET....

P.S. I don't really understand the security package option either - I mean these days cars are not able to be stolen unless the key itself is stolen. (Unlike the days when everyone had a crook lock!) So why do you need an alarm which everyone ignores anyway?

My DS says that they don't actually get informed about VINs being allocated - we are first to get that on the MyTesla website. But he seems to have some insider knowledge direct from Fremont that the Aussie cars, with the consent of the St Leonards staff agreeing to work above and beyond the call of duty, are all scheduled to arrive around the same time in the month of September. That is instead of an original planned staggered delivery from Sep to Late Oct.

If it happens it will create an interesting blip on car sales numbers, I wonder how many cars they are bringing in.

If it happens it will create an interesting blip on car sales numbers, I wonder how many cars they are bringing in.
Tesla reports sales for the quarter and yes, it allows the sales to compete before end September. But no blip on sales numbers because it will be balanced against the lack of completed sales at the beginning of the quarter whilst our cars are on ships as opposed to just being delivered immediately to local US customers.

Still no VIN

Just confirming. You know you have a Vin when the "reservation number' at the top LHS of your MyTesla (bottom LHS of picture of car) changes to a Vin right? Not shown in some other place that I am missing?

Last edited:
You are spot on ZTrekus.

After you sign into my tesla, on the first page just under the picture of your build. They number is under "model S". When the order was first made is starts as a RN with only a few numbers. When the VIN is issued it changes to a much larger number like this one. 5YJSB7H46FFxxxxxx

You are spot on ZTrekus.

After you sign into my tesla, on the first page just under the picture of your build. They number is under "model S". When the order was first made is starts as a RN with only a few numbers. When the VIN is issued it changes to a much larger number like this one. 5YJSB7H46FFxxxxxx

Hey Trav,

When you ordered your next gen seats on 31 March, 2015 did they apply to the backseat as at that date?

What is the minimum time between order and delivery for a left-hand-drive customer? 4 weeks or so? That would mean none of us will see our VINs until approx. week 1 June as they'll be putting all LHD orders ahead of ours in order to make the quarter. Once they pass the minimum production lead time for LHD vehicles they should start putting ours in the production program (here's hoping).

What is the minimum time between order and delivery for a left-hand-drive customer? 4 weeks or so? That would mean none of us will see our VINs until approx. week 1 June as they'll be putting all LHD orders ahead of ours in order to make the quarter. Once they pass the minimum production lead time for LHD vehicles they should start putting ours in the production program (here's hoping).

I JUST GOT MY VIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok that was a little excited, let me rephrase,

I just got my VIN.