Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car should be delivered in 2 weeks. I need (OK, I want) to upgrade my 21" rear wheels/tyres to the staggered 265 setup on the original spec. The car has shipped with 245 tyres all round. Anyone else planning to do this?

My car should be delivered in 2 weeks. I need (OK, I want) to upgrade my 21" rear wheels/tyres to the staggered 265 setup on the original spec. The car has shipped with 245 tyres all round. Anyone else planning to do this?

Hi mhh,

You have mentioned that several times now and I am eager to know more about this.

Is this pure aesthetics to give the mean look bat mobile style?

Is it that noticeable?

Please de tell us more... Do you have any example photos or links!

Hi mhh,

You have mentioned that several times now and I am eager to know more about this.

Is this pure aesthetics to give the mean look bat mobile style?

Is it that noticeable?

Please de tell us more... Do you have any example photos or links!

Yes, I do tend to go on about some things.......:eek:

It's mostly aesthetics. Most of the cars I've had for the past 10 years have been sports cars or sports sedans and ALL of them have had the staggered set up. The BMW M5 and AMG E63 for example come this way. Admittedly they are rear drive but I do prefer the way the rear guards are filled out by the wider rubber. And AFAIK, all P85+ deliveries on 21" wheels had the staggered layout. Here's Tesla's take on it from another thread. My car didn't get the promised staggered fitment. When I ordered it, the specification stated staggered. I just want what I ordered and I'll pay the extra to get it if necessary. I've seen the 245 21" tyres on the rear of a Model S and they look skinny and wrong. This is a performance sedan - I want it to look line.

Suspension
All Performance Model S come with a suspension setup that is optimized for the performance and handling that Elon mentioned. P85D & P90D have stiffer dampers and suspension bushings than the standard suspension — this means the car has a sportier ride, with reduced roll, reduced suspension travel, and enhanced steering connection.
Tire Setup
We have at times delivered P85D on a “square” set up (same 245/245 wheels/tires on front & back) and not a “staggered” set up (wider wheels/tires in the rear: 245/265). With all-wheel drive , the necessity of a wider rear tire is reduced as torque is also delivered to the front axle. This means that the driving experience of the P85D will be just as exhilarating with the 245 tires on the front and rear, along with additional advantages associated with lower operating costs (i.e. Increased tire life, ability to rotate tires, etc.).
The staggered fitment tires do slightly enhance the handling of Model S in corners. Because of this, all P85D and P90D orders with 21” wheels will receive staggered fitment Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires,

My car didn't get the promised staggered fitment. When I ordered it, the specification stated staggered. I just want what I ordered and I'll pay the extra to get it if necessary. I've seen the 245 21" tyres on the rear of a Model S and they look skinny. This is a performance sedan - I want it to look like one.

Yes, I do tend to go on about some things.......:eek:

It's mostly aesthetics. Most of the cars I've had for the past 10 years have been sports cars or sports sedans and ALL of them have had the staggered set up. The BMW M5 and AMG E63 for example come this way. Admittedly they are rear drive but I do prefer the way the rear guards are filled out by the wider rubber. And AFAIK, all P85+ deliveries on 21" wheels had the staggered layout. Here's Tesla's take on it from another thread. My car didn't get the promised staggered fitment. When I ordered it, the specification stated staggered. I just want what I ordered and I'll pay the extra to get it if necessary. I've seen the 245 21" tyres on the rear of a Model S and they look skinny and wrong. This is a performance sedan - I want it to look line.

Suspension
All Performance Model S come with a suspension setup that is optimized for the performance and handling that Elon mentioned. P85D & P90D have stiffer dampers and suspension bushings than the standard suspension — this means the car has a sportier ride, with reduced roll, reduced suspension travel, and enhanced steering connection.
Tire Setup
We have at times delivered P85D on a “square” set up (same 245/245 wheels/tires on front & back) and not a “staggered” set up (wider wheels/tires in the rear: 245/265). With all-wheel drive , the necessity of a wider rear tire is reduced as torque is also delivered to the front axle. This means that the driving experience of the P85D will be just as exhilarating with the 245 tires on the front and rear, along with additional advantages associated with lower operating costs (i.e. Increased tire life, ability to rotate tires, etc.).
The staggered fitment tires do slightly enhance the handling of Model S in corners. Because of this, all P85D and P90D orders with 21” wheels will receive staggered fitment Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires,

My car didn't get the promised staggered fitment. When I ordered it, the specification stated staggered. I just want what I ordered and I'll pay the extra to get it if necessary. I've seen the 245 21" tyres on the rear of a Model S and they look skinny. This is a performance sedan - I want it to look like one.

Question: I got the stock standard 19" wheels. Does that rule out a staggered look? If not, is it less worth it?

I note you say Tesla has let you down (my words)... Does it simply mean buying new rear tyres?

This is all new to me...

Question: I got the stock standard 19" wheels. Does that rule out a staggered look? If not, is it less worth it?

I note you say Tesla has let you down (my words)... Does it simply mean buying new rear tyres?

This is all new to me...

I'm not sure what the wheel options are for 19" wheels. I was always a 21" wheel buyer, firstly on my P85+ order and then on my D. Tesla hasn't let me down - they have the right to change the spec at will. I suspect the "square" tyre arrangement is driven by a desire to simplify parts inventory, or because of a shortage of the wider tyres. As I say, I just want what I ordered. If are getting what you ordered, I'd leave it be. Going staggered involves new rear wheels AND tyres - both are wider at the back.

I'm not sure what the wheel options are for 19" wheels. I was always a 21" wheel buyer, firstly on my P85+ order and then on my D. Tesla hasn't let me down - they have the right to change the spec at will. I suspect the "square" tyre arrangement is driven by a desire to simplify parts inventory, or because of a shortage of the wider tyres. As I say, I just want what I ordered. If are getting what you ordered, I'd leave it be. Going staggered involves new rear wheels AND tyres - both are wider at the back.

It is interesting though... Because I was told I would be getting staggered tyres on my P85D car that I ordered in June, 265's on back, 245's on front, 21" with my 21" upgrade.

Hej Cynix,

I wonder if your 20 day production delay was really just filibustering in order to get you on the same boat as the rest of us... The only other notification would have been that you were in transit from the factory - but they couldn't say that coz you would be wondering if the boat had been overtaken by pirates by now...

I can see it now: Seal Team 6 - The Rescue of Cynix's Tesla

Yeah baby!!! Excited!!

WA-T3sla and Wattup your time is now!

Building Model S.png

Last edited: