Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But they ARE held up. My MS 85 has slipped about a month.

Ray

Yes - I agree they ARE held-up by the ships. Elon Musk literally said that they were in the latest Q4 report. "... with actual ships..." a reference to the current dock dispute. I just fear that that is not the only reason that has delayed the production of the DUEL motor vehicles. But I confess that I am a pessimist!

-----

Nice idea about travel by air but quite implausible of course. The Factory is producing around 1000 cars a week. Assuming only half go overseas - even the American Military would have trouble flying that many cars!

Do you guys reckon the Tesla factory goes slow and twiddles their thumbs because they don't want to store the cars at their end whilst the dock dispute sorts itself out? Maybe they have leapfrogged the overseas batches of cars to be produced with Local Orders because they only need to truck them instead of sail them? Well I suppose that is a plausible theory. It doesn't quite sit well with the others who are currently waiting for their arrival (in transit) on the high seas - but I guess you would argue that they are just the lucky few that have gotten through the bottleneck.

I am not attempting to diminish the dock dispute. I am only trying to accentuate the factory problems IN ADDITION to the dock dispute - and that is what I mean by being a pessimist. I fear that I may be bumped to September!

Haha sorry I thought you disagreed with my theory at first.

Anyway, it would be extremely nice if they can ship it by air, but I'd imagine even if they agree to do that it would be at a significant cost to the owner.

I suppose, if you were rich enough, you could get FedEx to rock up knocking on the factory's door, "Excuse me.. I'm here to pick-up VIN 123 - special delivery to Australia!"

That would be nice!

I'm afraid folks that that is WISHFUL thinking. I fear the problem is more fundamental than that. Consider:

The Australian Tesla website (re ordering/designing the Model S) has a Late May estimate for NON-DUAL cars, but a SEPTEMBER estimate for DUAL cars - WHICH RECENTLY CHANGED FROM JUNE.

We know from a previous Tesla press release that when Tesla upgraded their factory in November last year, they introduced a new assembly line for the DUAL cars.

Since, the standard Model S NON DUAL cars are not delayed, then we can presume that something must have happened to delay the DUAL assembly line, and thus delay the next Australian production batch from commencing.

The good news is that we all appear to be in the Production Queue for the forthcoming batch - as opposed to the one after that that is expected in September if we were to order the car as of today.

------
SteveWest - please clarify. I thought you got a P85+ delivered in September last year. Did you get a P85D as well - expected now in late July??

Could blow out of dual motor timing to September be due to Model X Beta or release candidate car production? With a Q3 release for the car they would need to be building a decent number of model X cars towards end of Q2 this year?

I think what happened to the Dual production line is that they are going to be producing Model Xs on it.

My reading of the tea leaves is that the model x has been delayed and the factory will expand to create a new line for them...

when Paul Keating said that Australia was the arse end of the world.... He must have been waiting on a car to arrive from the US...

I have a car import dealer that I've used here in Sydney. He regularly ships cars in by air and get this - it cost him about $2500 max.
he charges me an additional $1000.
But seriously, who here would be prepared to pay the extra $2-3k for earlier delivery when we'll get the car soon-ish anyway??

Me, at those numbers. That sounds unfeasibly cheap though. I enquired about airfreight for a new Ferrari last year and it was nearly $20K from Italy - so I waited for the ship.

Mine is now showing Late July and I know another kiwi Chris Were whose expected date is now August

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing as you'll be registering it in NZ and not the nanny state, do you get access to the browser and homelink, or is it the Australian package with no tweaks?
No such luck, as its final destination is officially unofficial, if you know what I mean.