Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The deal breaker...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question, what would be the deal breaker for you and the Model S? or what is the one thing that would make you walk away from the Model S if pricing was not an issue? It would be interesting to read your comments.

As for me... the deal breaker would be Tesla Motors dropping its center touch screen console or a drop in battery range (50 mile or greater across the already stated ranges).

I suspect there will be a significant drop in range once the EPA gets a hold of it. But Tesla will probably stick to their number. Both numbers will be "right", it just depends if you want the number to tell you best case or worst case. :)

The DC Fast Charge port could be a deal breaker. The Model S will be my car for long trips. Many CHAdeMO/TEPCO stations are being installed this summer on the West coast (two are already in). Tesla won't say what port they will use. But I won't buy a trip car that can't use existing DC Fast chargers. I don't see how the SAE's alternative could be ready in time for the Model S anyway. I wish Tesla would just commit...

Well, my wife is going back and forth on whether she wants to drive a "car". She currently drives a biodiesel Jeep Liberty and likes the tall vantage point. So at this point we're going to wait and drive a Model S and RAV-4 EV and see which one she likes better. We may even wait for the SUV body on the Model S chassis.

So, nothing Tesla can do - just dealing w/ personal preferences.

Center touch screen console for me too (with free lifetime 3G/4G access?! :smile:). If that's either dropped entirely or isn't provided as part of the base Model S price, I'd be terribly disappointed.

Fine with the range fluctuations as I'd be using it mostly for my ~50 mile roundtrip daily commute and the occasional < 100 mile weekend expeditions.

Oh, if the betas / test drive cars don't drive and handle like say, a 5-series BMW, I cannot justify to myself paying that price despite my "green heart"! I don't want an overpriced and oversized golf cart! :eek:

Maybe not a dealbreaker, but I definitely want to get those two jump seats in the back so it can seat seven. I've got 3 young kids, and with friends and such I need to have the ability to drive more than 5 people around at times.

Oh, and if they added an ICE a la Fisker or the Volt to help charge the battery :tongue:

I will be very disappointed if the options and option packages are linked to the battery pack tier. Will I walk away from it? No, probably not.

But just because I don't need or want a 300-mile battery pack does not have anything to do with my desire for all of the other options.

I understand it's too early for these matters to have been decided, and therefore no one at Tesla that I've asked can answer my inquiries. But since you asked, this is definitely the thing about which I am most uncertain and worried. To me there would be no reason to limit options by battery pack tier, but this is the auto industry we're talking about. "Oh, you want the sport package? That's only available on the V8." Tesla, prove that you're above that, please.

I was at the preview of the car in Portland. Loved the looks but I was just surprised how big, especially how wide it is. I know it's trying to "compete" with 5 series Bimmer, but it is much bigger. I hate to say it, because I've had a deposit since the first day they were accepting them, but after seeing the size of the car, I'm thinking of not getting it. Did any one else whose seen the car have this impression that it's really a large car. More like a S series Mercedes, A8, or 7 series BMW.

I was at the preview of the car in Portland. Loved the looks but I was just surprised how big, especially how wide it is. I know it's trying to "compete" with 5 series Bimmer, but it is much bigger. I hate to say it, because I've had a deposit since the first day they were accepting them, but after seeing the size of the car, I'm thinking of not getting it. Did any one else whose seen the car have this impression that it's really a large car. More like a S series Mercedes, A8, or 7 series BMW.
That's my biggest concern as well. I hope to see the car in Frankfurt (IAA) in September, but when checking the specs I was like: Wow!

Driving with such a car through the old city centres would be a ..... challenge, don't even start about parking it in the tiny parking spaces we have here.

Sorry if we are going OT here but, if size could be a deal-breaker, then, here's a comparison - doesn't look that much bigger than a 528i; about 3" longer and maybe, an inch or two wider while compensating for the side mirrors?!

My guess is the massive hatch makes it "look" much larger but, maybe, it's really not?!

BMW 528i

Overall Length (in) 193.1 (so, 16' 1.1")
Overall Width (in) 73.2 (so, 6' 1.2" without side mirrors)
Overall Height (in) 57.6
Wheelbase (in) 116.9

Model S

Overall length 16’4" (4973 mm)
Overall height 4’8" (1426 mm)
Overall width with mirrors 7’2" (2189 mm)

For me it's hard to exclude price because the price is so high. In other words the price is high enough to really stretch my budget and hence I'm a lot less willing to accept compromises to what I think is a perfect car.
Hitch option, as well as size (too big) is two big issues for me.

Cobos