Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The DOJ Tesla probe has expanded to include EV driving ranges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They do drive it for hours, but it's on a dynamometer the entire time. The 5 cycle test includes hot and cold along with higher speeds.

Hard to game when EPA controls the variables. Coast down can be verified, so it's only the adjustment factor that can be tweaked.

70 vs 55 is 62% more aero load. Of course, aero is not the only load, rolling is in play also and that's fairly constant on a per mile basis. If aero started as 1/3 of the energy usage and Wh/mile were 240:
80 Wh/mile aero * 1.62 = 130
160 Wh/mile rolling = 160
Total: 290, for a 21% increase in consumption or 21% drop in range.
Missed it by 1%.. ;-)

I do think that EPA does a driving test for EPA EV range testing and not just on the dynamometer..

Even that test didn’t drive the car to empty. Look if you’re going to complain about not getting EPA mileage, then bloody well test to the EPA end limit, which is drive until the car stops. Or complain about EPA methodology, but stop complaining about the car.

For myself, I drive fast on the freeway (when I can), so I never expect to get rated range on either my Rivian or my Teslas. I make sure to get a vehicle that has more than 300 miles EPA range and that is more than enough to drive quickly between Superchargers before I need a break, or to drive to more remote places or even to tow when I very occasionally need to do that.
well...first, I am not complaining...at all. Just posted that test in the interest of discussion. As I said, people do not drive like the was the test was done, but it is possible certainly and obviously..to get more miles out of a charge. I too, when on a trip...do the " short drive/charge often/ minimal time/ method. Enjoy.

What do you mean? 70 mph steady highway is how a lot of people would drive on a road trip, if not faster. And a road trip is really where that range figure is most important.
What I mean is at a precise and regulated speed, as in the test.. It is difficult, at least for me..to do that. Getting stuck behind a Semi..then into the fast lane and at 80+ to keep up with traffic, then slowing down...but maybe you can do it,,,I can't.

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
Lol on the cadet test😏
The instant torque is definitely a big selling point for me, and one in which it was true to its word. The multiple test drives I took definitely sold me there. I actually do consider it a needed safety feature. The amount of times that my hybrid hesitated for three or four seconds when I was pulling out onto a highway, turned me into somebody who became one of those folks who waits annoyingly long to get a super clear spot to pull out into, which is annoying and ridiculous long-term. I have to smile every time I'm in a tight spot and simply accelerate leaving everyone behind in the rearview mirror 😁

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Tesla could be using the 5 cycle test while ford is using the 2 cycle test.. either way.. the consumer deserves better

EPA allows companies to do either a 2 cycle test or 5 cycle test. Most companies do the 2 cycle. 5 cycle yields higher numbers.
First off, either EPA test method is far less bullcrappy than the WLTP test. 421 mile range on a Model 3?

But there needs to be ONE standard for all manufacturers selling EVs in the USA. (I'm being USA-centric since this is a USA DoJ probe, I'm aware Canada and the EU have different standards.)

Until anyone drives it till it dies like the EPA test we may never know
Car magazine people: If you're gonna test it, test it! Have a damn tow truck, or someone with a generator in their truck bed follow you. Don't have the truck in front, drafting will screw up your test results.

In July 2019, I drove my used 2015 P85DL (28K miles, 4 years old) from 100% to "Damn this is a heavy car to push, good thing it died in the Supercharger parking lot." 240.3 miles while driving conservatively (299 Wh/mile.) This was for a car that was rated at 253 miles new.

I never tried the same thing with my M3P when it was new.

Fair.

The reality is, we probably need a completely revamped way to test EV's altogether.
They're just different, and should be tested as such. No more comparing to ICE.

Everyone should be looking for real world examples, many of them, before being comfortable about an EV's range. EPA should not even be in the equation when deciding to buy. Can we all agree on that at this point?
No, EPA efficiency does matter.

As for these CR "tests", waaay too many variables they've tried to "level". Reducing the regen to each car's "lowest setting"? I mean each car could have a different lowest setting. Furthermore, that's not really the "real world" setting, is it?

Each car is going to have it's own strengths and weaknesses.
If any test is going to remove any of those, then it's a sh!t test if you ask me. I want know, with the settings at the most common/popular, how does each car perform.
That is the EPA rule: test the default/common mode.

I think it also may be a reason why the Porsche Taycan EPA is so bad compared to what they actually experience given the size of the battery and great aerodynamics: the Taycan default mode is weighted towards performance, not efficiency. Which is what you expect to sell them and what the buyers---very wealthy and far more sophisticated about vehicles than average---can deal with. They don't want someone to test drive one (set to default of course) and come away disappointed in performance.

If regen is a strength of one model, but a weakness of another, the test should reflect that. That's the whole reason we have separate ratings for city vs hwy.
This CR "test" is being portrayed as some kind of all-encompassing final result.
But really it's only good for one scenario, under one set of parameters.
It's a single data point on a graph that needs dozens (at least) of data points before any real conclusions could be made.
So at best, I'd call it incomplete.
That's why the EPA 5-cycle mode is better. It does try to be more scientific and diverse than any other car-magazine or non-car magazine tests, and it is.

I think most on here would be happy if Tesla included an "estimated" range option similar to what they have on their energy screen that one could set the car to

the estimated could be based on a trip (or last 1000 miles) and/or lifetime average efficiency for that driver.. that is something they could easily add in an OTA update
Agree. I think a 30-mile projected range can be good enough for those who can't or refuse to use the EPA rated range. I think Tesla may include it as a third option for the always-on range display (rated/%/projected). Problem solved

I am more curious why the EPA range of many non-Tesla EVs is so low compared to CR (Edmunds, and other paid publications). If the EPA range is established presumably at much less demanding driving conditions than the "pseudo-real" tests, it can indicate that other brands have a problem with energy drain not related to actual driving.

Reactions: gt2690b
Agree. I think a 30-mile projected range can be good enough for those who can't or refuse to use the EPA rated range. I think Tesla may include it as a third option for the always-on range display (rated/%/projected). Problem solved

I am more curious why the EPA range of many non-Tesla EVs is so low compared to CR (Edmunds, and other paid publications). If the EPA range is established presumably at much less demanding driving conditions than the "pseudo-real" tests, it can indicate that other brands have a problem with energy drain not related to actual driving.
coming down from the mountains around here even the 30mi range is complete hogwash for awhile

This reminds me of the Kia mpg suit, where the owners sued them after EPA caught them for faulty testing and misrepresenting their MPG on the sticker. I can't remember the outcome. Guess I should go look around and see. Only remember as a co-worker had a Soul and she was all giddy for what they were to receive in the settlement.

I had read a few tests on range.. and the Model 3 LR was pretty close in quite a few of them, within 20miles range or less. That's all I needed to purchase, albeit it used. I drive it too sporty to get close to range estimates. I also travel 78 on interstate most of the time for 30miles +. I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
Reactions: gt2690b
In one off unofficial testing, the Y Performance had 4.1kWh:34km and the 3 SR+ had 6.9kWh:56km buffer below 0 SOC.
Watch Tesla Model 3 (LFP) Driven Until It Stops: Fully Discharged

In an Edmund's test, the past 0% range was
Y Performance: 12.6 miles
3 SR+: 17.6
3 LR: 25.9
Note: their summary is sort of decent.
Testing Tesla's Range Anxiety: Tesla Model Y, Model 3, VW ID.4, Ford Mach-E | Edmunds
i dont like the swirling wind in the test plus going in a circle invokes additional tire friction that would otherwise not exist in a straight line but at least they drove it past 0

dont any of these magazines have access to a dyno??

Reactions: Cosmacelf
This reminds me of the Kia mpg suit, where the owners sued them after EPA caught them for faulty testing and misrepresenting their MPG on the sticker. I can't remember the outcome. Guess I should go look around and see. Only remember as a co-worker had a Soul and she was all giddy for what they were to receive in the settlement.

I had read a few tests on range.. and the Model 3 LR was pretty close in quite a few of them, within 20miles range or less. That's all I needed to purchase, albeit it used. I drive it too sporty to get close to range estimates. I also travel 78 on interstate most of the time for 30miles +. I'm a happy camper.
Wonder what she received in the settlement? I have to admit I'm a little confused, because we've been talking about the EPA itself testing for and setting these estimates but that suit makes it sound like the car maker sets it.

Wonder what she received in the settlement? I have to admit I'm a little confused, because we've been talking about the EPA itself testing for and setting these estimates but that suit makes it sound like the car maker sets it.
Kia revised the EPA label up 12mi on the ev6 gt for 2024, going from 206 to 218mi range. No changes to the car were made. My lifetime average of 3.0mi/kwh from a 74kw usable battery still indicate this as very low, as my usage is highway, hooning around, and I spent the first nearly 10k mi driven in gt mode, lol! Normal summer range at 100% has been 240-255mi in Normal mode with hvac on, and 250-270 in eco.

Kia revised the EPA label up 12mi on the ev6 gt for 2024, going from 206 to 218mi range. No changes to the car were made. My lifetime average of 3.0mi/kwh from a 74kw usable battery still indicate this as very low, as my usage is highway, hooning around, and I spent the first nearly 10k mi driven in gt mode, lol! Normal summer range at 100% has been 240-255mi in Normal mode with hvac on, and 250-270 in eco.
Isn't 74kwh/333wh/mi = 222 mi?

I don't think the OP's asking for pity. Posts like this actually may be part of what educates future consumers who are interested in Tesla or any of the other EVs. And part of research is actually looking at the EPA range and comparing them. Pretty harsh to take a "they get what they deserve" stance. I'd like to see what they're referring to, the CR report, actually lead to some more accurate EPA data. This is an increasingly difficult world to do accurate research in and I can't think of anybody that hasn't been fooled at one point or another. Live and learn and move forward

Exactly, I'm not asking for a pity party. Our Model Y and Model 3 are the best vehicles we've ever owned -- period. My Model 3 replaced a 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Prestige with Sport Package. My wife's Model Y replaced a 2017 Subaru Outback Limited. For the price, the Teslas were the best vehicles on the market for our needs.

That doesn't mean that we don't have disappointments, with highway range being one of them. No car is perfect and that's something that we all accept with any purchase.