Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The DOJ Tesla probe has expanded to include EV driving ranges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does that challenge have to do with what this discussion is about — which is the stated range. We’re not talking about driving 1000km and how many stops and how long you need to charge.

It’s just a simple question of Tesla saying, your vehicle should drive this many miles per charge and it coming up well short.

If I’m driving a constant 45 - 50 miles per hour; I can hit around 180 - 200 wh/mile depending on the temp, which is right on top of the EPA suggestion for range. But that is not sustainable on the highway.
More to the point if the feds dig up some internal emails wherein Tesla execs are talking about intentionally gaming the system... that’s going to be a problem.

Reactions: cdub
ev6 gt, 255/40/21
ive found the tires matter less when your driving at highway speeds as the aero drag is such a bigger factor at 75+ mph than the tire drag/friction

the city rating certainly takes a hit from the increased tire drag with tires like all terrains but the highway does not take as bad as a hit

its a little hard to measure in my case though as i put the bigger treads on in the winter when efficiencies would be worse anyway

Reactions: Unobtanium
More apples to oranges testing:
"In short, this is the approximate number of miles that a vehicle can travel in combined city and highway driving (using a mix of 55% highway and 45% city driving) before needing to be recharged, according to the EPA's testing methodology."

"Edmunds begins with full battery charge and drives an electric vehicle on a mix of city and highway roads (approximately 60% city, 40% highway) until the battery is almost entirely empty. (We target 10 miles of remaining range for safety.) The miles traveled and the indicated remaining range are added together for the Edmunds total tested range figure. "

So they do more highway, stop with 10 miles listed left, and ignores the safety buffer (if any) that EPA uses.

This helps explain the discrepancy between lower than rated range and lower than rated Wh/mile.

Model, difference from EPA in miles, % range, % consumption
3 LR, -8, -2.3, -2.6
S Plaid, -3, -0.9, +2.7
S Perf, -8, -2.5, +6.3
Y LR, -9, -2.9, +3.0
3 Perf, -54, -17.4, -3.8
X LR, -34, -10.4, 0.0
3 SR+, -18, -7.2, +4.2

If Tesla has a 10 mile buffer after 0% SOC, the vehicles hit their range except for X long range, 3 P, and 3SR+.

The X data is really strange since it should have been able to go the full 328 miles using 94 kWh out of the 100kWh pack.
Similarly, the 3SR+ had better Wh/mile, but lower range. This could indicate a higher % buffer.
There is a 4.5% buffer below 0% SOC. Which might be significantly more than 10 miles. EPA runs it to true empty.

It might be that Tesla is more conservative in the in-car display of battery %age than others, and then uses EPA test aggressively without any deductions.

All manufactures overrate mileage. I’ve owned a lot of new cars in my life, none of them get near the mileage on the sticker.

I‘m not defending Tesla, I think Tesla’s are overrated across the board. All Estimated EPA Mileage needs to be fixed.
I've owned over a dozen gasoline-powered automobiles since the EPA adjusted its testing methodology in 2008. Each of them has met and some of them have exceeded their EPA ratings.

For example, the 2021 Ridgeline that my Model Y replaced was rated at 21 MPG combined. It averaged exactly 21.0 MPG over 30,358 miles.

The EPA says my 2019 MX-5 Miata averages 29 MPG combined. Over the four years I've owned it, it has averaged 33 MPG.

So, these two gasoline-powered vehicles get 100-114% of their EPA rating, but my Model Y gets about 80% of its EPA rating with the same driver and same driving.

I knew before I bought my first Tesla that I would not get the advertised range, but I rarely drive more than 40 miles per day. When I take a road trip, the trip planner successfully guides me to Superchargers before the battery dies, so this is a mostly a non-issue for me. However, my OCD would appreciate a more realistic advertised/indicated estimate. :)

There is a 4.5% buffer below 0% SOC. Which might be significantly more than 10 miles. EPA runs it to true empty.

It might be that Tesla is more conservative in the in-car display of battery %age than others, and then uses EPA test aggressively without any deductions.
I managed to go 20 miles after the car hit 0% during the snowpocalypse of 2019.. 30 mph, behind a truck, hypermiling, but still it was impressive.

2018 M3 LR

don’t try this at home.

I'm morbidly curious... Were you able to make it to a charger or did you have to be towed to one after that 20 miles? :D
Made it to Kettleman City from Paso Robles SC (where the wait at the time was 3-4 hours!) just fine (it’s 52 miles, had ~ 38 remaining, but it dropped pretty quickly when heading east over the hills to Kettleman.. the final 20 at 0% was either mild sleight downhill or flat. Hypermileling and trailing a truck that was SLOW helped I think… I have NO idea how much more I could have done.

My last charge was 18%-51% used 27 kw/h during the charge. When the car was at 13% I drove 86 miles and the car said I used 23kw/h I used about 31kw/h. This is the only real way to check your range due to Tesla not accounting for all energy usage. Projected out I would of gotten 226 miles on a 23 MYP. I 110% drove with a heavy foot during this test. I'm doing the same thing again now and driving normal, I am on pace to do 270 miles on a full charge. I never paid much attention as I have solar and still have 2k SC miles for free. If I can get 260 per charge avg I will be happy. My lifetime is 4,122 miles using 1,112 Kw/h and 270wh/mi, per the car base don 76kw battery its getting 281 per tank. That is 100% not true.

I am (have become) a big Tesla fan. Driving experience and the tech (and the Supercharger network) are unparalleled. But I have to say: EPA numbers on Tesla are unrealistic. Not even close.

I have the 2023 Model Y Performance, rated at 303 miles range. In best times, I get 260-270 range, mixed suburban driving and highway traffic, mostly congested during commuting times. And it’s not even winter yet.

On the other hand, my wife’s IONIQ 5 SEL (also 2023) is rated at 264 miles range from EPA, but in real life I get close to 300+ miles range

Its never been a secret that Tesla overrates their ranges.
I don't know about that. I didn't realize it was complete BS before I bought the car. I did research but clearly not "the right" research because I'm getting an awful lot of surprises here. Tiresome. Hindsight's 20/20 and not helpful to hear that "You should have known better". At this point it is what it is but I don't think it's fair to say that everyone already knew this. And either way I'm glad CR is calling them out on it. Maybe it'll help somebody else going forward.
Me, I'm just going to have to deal with it. Life happens but I don't appreciate being fooled by a car company about so many things, including the features that I thought were included. At the end of the day though it's not going to make or break me. I'll make the best of it and supposedly Tesla will improve, which is one of the great advantages of the company- that we actually get updates that could turn the car around in a day. Now that'll be something to look forward to.

Last edited:
The same speed that CR used. Speed limits around here are mainly 65. I set the AP at 70 mph.

Even so, CR is still testing all EVs under the same conditions, so that point is moot.
And there's your problem. Efficiency drops dramatically over 55-60 MPH. I've posted this several times before but I routinely get the rated efficiency or at least close to it driving to and from our cabin in northern Wisconsin. There are two routes I can take - one goes up I35 driving 70 MPH. The other takes state highways through WI, driving 55-60 MPH. I always get better milage staying off the interstate. Even dropping the speed from 75 to 70 mph makes a noticeable difference.

Another factor is whether you drive in chill mode or not. It was revealed recently that the car spends more energy heating the battery in regular mode than in chill mode so there's more 'parasitic' power draw, decreasing range.

Last edited:
I have found CR to be useful for things such as appliances. I have not found any of their vehicle reporting useful or trustworthy, even in the ICE world. They weight a broken volume knob just as heavily as a blown engine for determining reliability.
yes. They are another source of data but IME they're not nearly as unbiased as they claim to be and often times their ratings don't match real life.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
And there's your problem. Efficiency drops dramatically over 55-60 MPH. I've posted this several times before but I routinely get the rated efficiency or at least close to it driving to and from our cabin in northern Wisconsin. There are two routes I can take - one goes up I35 driving 70 MPH. The other takes state highways through WI, driving 55-60 MPH. I always get better milage staying off the interstate. Even dropping the speed from 75 to 70 mph makes a noticeable difference.

Another factor is whether you drive in chill mode or not. It was revealed recently that the car spends more energy heating the battery in regular mode than in chill mode so there's more 'parasitic' power draw, decreasing range.
It’s not a “problem”. Interstates are for traveling long distances at a relatively high rate of speed. It’s normal for people to drive at that rate of speed.

I did not buy an EV to drive a slower route than I would with an ICE when the interstate is readily accessible.

As I’ve said multiple times, my issue is not with higher energy consumption at higher highway speeds. My issue is with competitors being able to more accurately predict and hit/exceed the stated EPA driving range under the speed conditions of typical Americans versus Tesla.

If anything, I’d expect Tesla to be BETTER, because they’ve been at this EV game much longer.

I’ve owned Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Subaru and Audi ICE vehicles in my 27 years of driving. They’ve all met or exceeded their EPA estimates on the highway when driving at around 70 mph. The VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI I had was especially good at hitting 43mpg+ at those speeds versus its 39mpg rating.

Our Model Y and 3 are the only vehicles to come up short by 20 to 25 percent.

Reactions: JonDarian