Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

The DOJ Tesla probe has expanded to include EV driving ranges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be missing something here, with the EPA vs. the rest of the world.

I've read the odd article and post over the past decade or so that stated that the mileage estimates that were official in the EU were 'way off from reality. In fact, I remember reading that official testing, as carried out by $RANDOM EU auto companies, including doing things like taping over the door cracks, door handles, and other such unlikely things. The results of these shenanigans was that the mileage numbers were off by, I dunno, something like 20%.

In various articles it was pointed out that the EPA, for whatever reason, Wasn't Like That. There was a point made somewhere that the EPA did all their testing indoors on a dynanometer; which sure sounded odd to me when I read that, since wind resistance is a Thing. But, in any case, if one wanted to get realistic mileage numbers in the world, the EPA was fairly accurate.

Add to that my experience in being able to meet those EPA numbers in normal running around. So, I've had this idea that the EPA was doing whatever-it-was and coming up with accurate results.

Isn't the WLTP the standard that everybody complains about that has numbers under that aren't anywhere near reality?

In various articles it was pointed out that the EPA, for whatever reason, Wasn't Like That. There was a point made somewhere that the EPA did all their testing indoors on a dynanometer; which sure sounded odd to me when I read that, since wind resistance is a Thing. But, in any case, if one wanted to get realistic mileage numbers in the world, the EPA was fairly accurate.
They do outdoors coastdown tests to calculate the 2nd order dynamometer coefficients that simulates the load the car would experience.

no i went about a year without it.. thought i'd use youtube and spotify more but i usually just use the radio and could hotspot for youtube when idle
I meant that the car still uses live traffic. Real question: can you hotspot everything that was missing including all navigation/traffic and streaming? ... except live view perhaps.

I meant that the car still uses live traffic. Real question: can you hotspot everything that was missing including all navigation/traffic and streaming? ... except live view perhaps.
No. Hotspot lets you use third party music streaming like Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal. And video streaming while parked. The Tesla music streaming service requires premium connectivity to access.

The other features of premium connectivity do not work over WiFi/hotspot. Eg satellite maps, traffic info display on map, live camera views.

• Informative
Reactions: gt2690b and alexgr
my 21 myLR has lifetime standard connectivity.. perhaps that is why i get traffic navigation but not live map traffic or sat. view as @E90alex points out... when standard connectivity runs out for people i wonder how crippled the car will be

Reactions: alexgr
I just looked through the 2022 MSLR manual. Premium connectivity gives you these things:
-Live camera view
-Satellite imagery map display
-Live traffic conditions
-Streaming audio
Thank you! Although I thought I clicked on the camera icon the other day and it still worked to see the left right and rear cameras. But the other things are definitely missing and I'm not sure I really need it any of those

Tesla is the leader when it comes to many aspects of EVs, but unfortunately also in terms of inflating range. No doubt about it.
Hopefully most people have done their research and know that before buying.
This is exactly it. The ratings as BS but I knew it going in. And what my Model Y LR gets is enough. Small issue given the high points of owning the thing, superchargers etc.

Not sure why people are arguing against what is common knowledge in that Tesla overstates their range. I'd regularly take an 800 mile road trip in my 2021 MYLR (to my son at college and then back) in conditions from well below freezing to summer heat. The trip is all highway and the best miles per kW I ever got was 4.0 on a low 70's degree day. Now, I could calculate the range if I knew what the actual battery capacity spec was for my MY, but while Tesla doesn't officially provide that, it is believed to be a 75 kWh battery. In the best of conditions that equates to a 300 mile range at an average speed (thanks TeslaFi!) of 62 mph.

Am I angry that my car was rated at 330 when I bought it? Absolutely not. 30 miles of range in the grand scheme of things isn't going to alter my driving / charging plan anyway.

However, what it does do for those looking for their first EV - and this was my case - is have them choose the Tesla over a competing manufacturer because of range anxiety, and that IS wrong. Smart business wise, perhaps. But bad for the consumer. I do believe it's intentional by Elon/Tesla. As do I believe it's the reason there is no official listing (or wasn't for me) on my 2021 MYLR battery capacity. It's also the reason I think watt hours per mile is used instead of the EV standard miles per kw.

In the best of conditions that equates to a 300 mile range at an average speed (thanks TeslaFi!) of 62 mph.

Am I angry that my car was rated at 330 when I bought it? Absolutely not. 30 miles of range in the grand scheme of things isn't going to alter my driving / charging plan anyway.
I think it would be good to reiterate that the rated range of 330 miles is based on the EPA ratings, and even the highway portion of the EPA tests have an average speed of 48 MPH. So even 62 MPH is significantly faster than for what the rated range was calculated.

I think it would be good to reiterate that the rated range of 330 miles is based on the EPA ratings, and even the highway portion of the EPA tests have an average speed of 48 MPH. So even 62 MPH is significantly faster than for what the rated range was calculated.
True, but what had me walk into the Tesla dealer before the Ford dealer at that time was the 50 mile difference in range between the two. What sold me on the Tesla is when the rep pulled up the map and I saw all of the red dots to which he said "and those represent all of the places you can charge".

Both are great cars, as is the Rivian, Ioniq, ID4, etc. There should be a method of standardized testing so consumers can truly compare apples to apples though.

Good to know about these tests actually being based on a 48 mph range I mean how realistic is that in any kind of real case driving? You're either in a city suburban area and going around 30-35, or you're on a highway doing 60 and above. I mean unless that's what they're basing the average on a mixture of city suburban and highway driving...