Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

The DOJ Tesla probe has expanded to include EV driving ranges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean unless that's what they're basing the average on a mixture of city suburban and highway driving...
The EPA rated range is based on a mix. But even the highway test is not typical of what you would think: Detailed Test Information

The highway portion has an average speed of ~48 MPH:
1699024386249.png

Even the high speed portion averages ~48MPH:
1699024395513.png

The EPA rated range is based on a mix. But even the highway test is not typical of what you would think: Detailed Test Information

View attachment 987551

View attachment 987552
Interesting. I mean in reality any of the cars I have purchased in my lifetime have not been true to their EPA class, and have usually at least somewhat overstated their mileage ratings. I think that part wouldn't bother me much at all if I just had proper sensors on the car that actually made the auto driving work properly and the parking assist work. I mean what's the point of having parking assist or auto driving that I can't f
trust? Because than I can't, and shouldn't really ever relax at all with it. I might as well not have those features.
The crazy additional part is now after all this AI terminator chatter, wondering if at some point the car is going to decide it wants to go one way and I want to go the other- and it actually has the ability to wrest the wheel away from me? I guess all this talk about AI taking over (including from Elon himself in a recent shareholder report question and answer, mentioning that he was doing his best to make sure a terminator-like scenario did not happen- fully serious) makes me wonder if at some point I'm going to be arguing with the car about which way and how fast to go and the car is going to actually win. Not a relaxing driving mode.

Not sure why people are arguing against what is common knowledge in that Tesla overstates their range. I'd regularly take an 800 mile road trip in my 2021 MYLR (to my son at college and then back) in conditions from well below freezing to summer heat. The trip is all highway and the best miles per kW I ever got was 4.0 on a low 70's degree day. Now, I could calculate the range if I knew what the actual battery capacity spec was for my MY, but while Tesla doesn't officially provide that, it is believed to be a 75 kWh battery. In the best of conditions that equates to a 300 mile range at an average speed (thanks TeslaFi!) of 62 mph.

Am I angry that my car was rated at 330 when I bought it? Absolutely not. 30 miles of range in the grand scheme of things isn't going to alter my driving / charging plan anyway.

However, what it does do for those looking for their first EV - and this was my case - is have them choose the Tesla over a competing manufacturer because of range anxiety, and that IS wrong. Smart business wise, perhaps. But bad for the consumer. I do believe it's intentional by Elon/Tesla. As do I believe it's the reason there is no official listing (or wasn't for me) on my 2021 MYLR battery capacity. It's also the reason I think watt hours per mile is used instead of the EV standard miles per kw.
Um. "Common knowledge" is as good as, "They say."

My personal experience is that I truly, duly have gotten, and continue to get, the rated EPA numbers on a 2018 M3 LR RWD (now traded in after 55k miles), a 2021 MY LR AWD, and a new 2023 M3 LR AWD. Sometimes somewhat better, sometimes somewhat worse, but pretty much centered.

About the only exception, I suppose, was the 2018 M3 which, not having a heat pump, did considerably worse during the winter (330 W-hr/mile vs. 260 W-hr/mile); but it wasn't like Tesla didn't warn people about that. But the EPA doesn't rate their numbers for winter driving and ICEs get worse during cold as well.

I don't consider myself a hypermiler.

So, that's a data point of one (1) person. Now, get verified large numbers of cars, how they were driven, and throw out that, "We're making stuff up! Here's our methodology! It shows that this car doesn't meet the EPA numbers!" crud that Consumer's Union and others push. That is, literally, comparing apples with oranges.

View attachment 987551

View attachment 987552
How can they use 48 mph on a highway? That's not even legal speed on an interstate, having a 55/70 min/max.
What are they considering a "highway"? It says a "mix of rural and interstate". Why combine those? That's stupid.

Why not just use mph? Do separate tests on an oval, with cruise set to 35, 45, 55, 65, whatever, and then just tell people those results. And then people can just adjust those results to their own real life driving.
There are just too many variables to ever have any good "average" real world examples.
But if a person knew their own rough habits, and then knew if they drove 65 for half their trip, they'd know the range of that half at least.
This is just typical government BS. How do we convolute these tests so we have so many possible options we can hire more people and keep them full of busy work. It's a complete waste.

How can they use 48 mph on a highway? That's not even legal speed on an interstate, having a 55/70 min/max.
What are they considering a "highway"? It says a "mix of rural and interstate". Why combine those? That's stupid.

Why not just use mph? Do separate tests on an oval, with cruise set to 35, 45, 55, 65, whatever, and then just tell people those results. And then people can just adjust those results to their own real life driving.
There are just too many variables to ever have any good "average" real world examples.
But if a person knew their own rough habits, and then knew if they drove 65 for half their trip, they'd know the range of that half at least.
This is just typical government BS. How do we convolute these tests so we have so many possible options we can hire more people and keep them full of busy work. It's a complete waste.
i dunno the EPA graph looks alarmingly similar to my typical commute:

1699027978113.png

top speed ~78 average speed of 45.5 mph

Attachments

• 1699027914633.png
    1699027914633.png
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • 1699027960584.png
    1699027960584.png
    1 MB · Views: 13
Not sure why people are arguing against what is common knowledge in that Tesla overstates their range. I'd regularly take an 800 mile road trip in my 2021 MYLR (to my son at college and then back) in conditions from well below freezing to summer heat. The trip is all highway and the best miles per kW I ever got was 4.0 on a low 70's degree day. Now, I could calculate the range if I knew what the actual battery capacity spec was for my MY, but while Tesla doesn't officially provide that, it is believed to be a 75 kWh battery. In the best of conditions that equates to a 300 mile range at an average speed (thanks TeslaFi!) of 62 mph.
If you check the nominal efficiency, say 4 mi/kWh or 250 Wh/mi, and take the EPA range of 330 miles, then 0.25 kWh/mi * 330 mi = 82.5 kWh battery size. See, it's not hard to find out the nominal usable battery size in Tesla.

i dunno the EPA graph looks alarmingly similar to my typical commute:

View attachment 987565
top speed ~78 average speed of 45.5 mph

I'm sure it's similar to many. That's why they use it.
But it'll never be a true average for all. That's all I'm saying.
No one wants to do the research/work to get their own figures, so they just look at EPA and such. Then they get pissed when their experience doesn't match that figure.

Reactions: zoomer0056
True, but what had me walk into the Tesla dealer before the Ford dealer at that time was the 50 mile difference in range between the two. What sold me on the Tesla is when the rep pulled up the map and I saw all of the red dots to which he said "and those represent all of the places you can charge".

Both are great cars, as is the Rivian, Ioniq, ID4, etc. There should be a method of standardized testing so consumers can truly compare apples to apples though.
The EPA supposedly did the same tests on Tesla and other EVs. I don't buy that bs (pardon) that other manufacturers decided on their own to list lower EPA numbers than they could just because they are so fair to consumers. The only realistic reason for that I see is that many other EVs are NOT as efficient as Tesla driving slowly in town. Maybe they have problems with energy recuperation, maybe they waste too much energy on other tasks unrelated to driving (hvac, computers, etc.). What I know is that if I drive Tesla in town at 40-45 mph average speed on dry 70F day, I consistently beat the rated Tesla range by a significant margin. Do we actually have a head-to-head comparison of a Tesla vs anything else (Mach-E, Ionic 5, etc) on city road efficiency?

Regarding marketing, I am more sorry for people who purchased Ford EVs buying into their marketing campaign that they have all country covered by EA and other chargers, so charging will be a non-issue. That was a devastating lie.

Last edited:
Reactions: gt2690b
Good to know about these tests actually being based on a 48 mph range I mean how realistic is that in any kind of real case driving? You're either in a city suburban area and going around 30-35, or you're on a highway doing 60 and above. I mean unless that's what they're basing the average on a mixture of city suburban and highway driving...
The EPA publishes the test data, so you can make your own estimates based on drive pattern.
The Wh/mile are in the comments

UDDS urban
CVS 75 urban
20F cold (heater)
HWFE highway
SC03 high temp (air conditioning)
US06 high speed

For Range they run the charge depleting cycles of UDDS, highway, and 20 F

3 AWD and Performance
https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=54290&flag=1

If you check the nominal efficiency, say 4 mi/kWh or 250 Wh/mi, and take the EPA range of 330 miles, then 0.25 kWh/mi * 330 mi = 82.5 kWh battery size. See, it's not hard to find out the nominal usable battery size in Tesla.
You'd think so, but the range test is almost completely different from the Wh/mile test, so the numbers don't correlate.

For an ICE, range = MPG * manufacturer reported tank size

For what it's worth... 2024 Model 3 Highland

While we are still waiting on official EPA estimates for the new Model 3, we ran this Stealth Gray example through MotorTrend's road-trip range test and saw disappointing results: just 211 miles, short of not only the old Model 3's EPA estimate but also the anticipated number for the new EPA estimates. In other markets, the 3's official range figures rise by about 10 percent, an improvement Tesla hasn't disputed could happen here in America. The also updated Dual Motor Long Range Model 3 didn't fare much better, its 250-mile performance in our test falling shy of the old Dual Motor's 333-mile EPA range estimate.

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
Reactions: Big Earl
I didn't read it all ... too long. But it's a comparison between a Prius plug in hybrid and Tesla Highland. Like comparing a hot dog to a filet mignon.
Are you honestly saying that people wouldn't cross-shop a plug-in Prius with a Model 3 RWD priced around the same price -- especially for those apprehensive about going fully electric?

Ohhhhhkay :cool:

Before we settled on our Model Y, we looked at the ID.4 and the Highlander Hybrid. The $7,500 federal tax credit pushed us toward the Model Y.

EPA range is highway & city combined. Highway only at 70 is less. MT tests to 5% presumably indicated on display. EPA tests to physical battery empty, which is a few percent below 0 on display. (When new cars have a 4.5% buffer below 0).

Unfortunately EPA website doesn't make highway range or MPGe apparent, unlike ICE cars.

Are you honestly saying that people wouldn't cross-shop a plug-in Prius with a Model 3 RWD priced around the same price -- especially for those apprehensive about going fully electric?

Before we settled on our Model Y, we looked at the ID.4 and the Highlander Hybrid. The $7,500 federal tax credit pushed us toward the Model Y.
So you went with the filet mignon instead of the hot dog. 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: alexgr

You understand that the Prius Prime XLE is over 40k, right? Model 3 standard range is about $31k after tax credit now. Also, honestly, no. When I was shopping in 2019 I tested both Model 3 and Prius (not Prime though). Prius was feeling cheap-cheap-cheap and about 20-year old tech. Sorry,