Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "Federally compliant for incentive" Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone should order now before this program gets cancelled/drained of funds. The federal government intended this program to last 3 years and the model 3 was specifically excluded because of this.

For a reference point here here's the some stats on EV sales:

Electric vehicles sales update Q3 2018, Canada

Looks like the Liberals are attacking hard on the climate change angle vs the Federal PCs. Smart use of the flood news cycle to hammer home the need to make the transition to Green Economy. Will they turn die-hard PCs who love trucks?

I don't think anyone will order it, its just so the SR+ becomes eligible. They listened ! :)

I don't think Tesla wants anyone to order it. That's probably why it's only 93 miles - too many people failed to take the hint and actually ordered the $35k version instead of the $37k SR+ they wanted to sell stateside, so Tesla made it clearer this time.

But it means that if SR+ is considered an option to this car, pretty much any SR+ configuration is also eligible...

So there are actually 2 Federal programs: One is for consumers, and gives you 5k off the price of the vehicle at time of purchase. The other is a tax rebate allowing you to write off the ENTIRE cost of the car if you are a business. You cannot claim the 5k rebate if you want to use the tax write-off. I also do not see a price cutoff on the federal website for the tax rebate option, so I'm not sure if other vehicles over the 45/55/60k threshold count?

My queston is whether Tesla will actually take the 5k off at time of purchase? In Ontario, you had to apply for the 14k incentive separately. The federal program seems to suggest the dealer needs to fill out the paperwork on their end, so in theory we should get the money off at time of purchase.

Also, for those wondering about delivery timing, the federal website states that as long as the bill of sale lists May 1st or beyond as the date of purchase, you are eligible. Doesn't matter when you put deposit down (they actually have a FAQ with the deposit question specifically addressed)

I called Tesla just now to ask about how the crippled SR can be upgraded to a standard offering SR. They currently do not have this information and are waiting for details from Tesla HQ.

Just another case of Tesla HQ making changes and not informing their staff.

From the federal rebate website, it seems that the "trim" needs to be under 55k. Colour, wheels, FSD all fall outside of those requirements, and are options that don't seem to play into the max price. From the website:
"A vehicle trim level is a pre-determined package of different equipment and finishes offered for a particular vehicle model (e.g., base, sport, touring, etc.). A vehicle model can have multiple trim levels. Different trim levels will typically have a different Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP)."

Also:
"You will still be eligible for the incentive even if delivery, freight and other fees, such as vehicle colour and add-on accessories, push the actual purchase price over these set limits."

Looks like the Liberals are attacking hard on the climate change angle vs the Federal PCs. Smart use of the flood news cycle to hammer home the need to make the transition to Green Economy. Will they turn die-hard PCs who love trucks?
ummmm....nope. Conservative Party member, and F250 owner (as well as an S85D since 2015). The Libs made it perfectly clear that they HATE small business owners. Count me out, I'll vote Green, Conservative, Libertarian, Rhinoceros, NDP before I'd vote Liberal.

Still slightly confused about what you can get away with and still qualify. It seems like the most expensive car that will still qualify is the SR+ with no options ($53,700). Is that correct? We really wanted to get the white paint option (extra $2,000) but it sounds like that would push it over the limit ($53,700 + $2,000 = $55,700) or am I misunderstanding this?

Still slightly confused about what you can get away with and still qualify. It seems like the most expensive car that will still qualify is the SR+ with no options ($53,700). Is that correct? We really wanted to get the white paint option (extra $2,000) but it sounds like that would push it over the limit ($53,700 + $2,000 = $55,700) or am I misunderstanding this?

It looks like paint and add ons are not part of the equation. It's all based on the MSRP of the trim level. In this case, the SR+ would be the trim level, then you can add options on top of that
Zero-emission vehicles - Transport Canada

A vehicle trim level is a pre-determined package of different equipment and finishes offered for a particular vehicle model (e.g., base, sport, touring, etc.). A vehicle model can have multiple trim levels. Different trim levels will typically have a different Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP).

Reactions: Gen3