Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The four cameras saved me $1000 and my driving record...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the same. Although it is DEFINITELY 100% the other guy's fault - no question - it was clear that he was a boneheaded driver that was already starting to straddle the line. I'm not saying it was 100% avoidable, but I likely would have had extreme caution to the point where I would have been predicting him to do something as dumb as what he did - assuming I myself wasn't distracted or didn't have my focus elsewhere.

Again - not your fault - definitely his fault - but I did think, "Wow, the signs were all there that he was a horrid driver who could do something ridiculous at any point - especially when side-by-side with him."

I will also point out it is easy to state this while having all the time in the world to review the video from the leisure of my chair - lol - which of course is a different environment than things happening live.

Very true - maybe drivers are so bad in my area I am just trained and ready for this to happen to me 10x a day at a minimum.

Reactions: MattUNI
I think the insurance would have believed him too. Usually when there is a collision between the front side of one car and back side of another car, it would be the fault of the car with back side damage, because the other car is in the blind spot. I don't understand how he could hit your car like that... did he just not look at all??

Looks like the accident was small with only cosmetic damages? If so hopefully the body shop will let you keep your car while they wait for new parts since it can take a long time for parts to arrive from Tesla.
There is no small cosmetic damage in a Tesla at least in cost to repair.

Backed into from parking lot less than 5mph and dent on driver side passenger door. Result? Replaced door, repainted adjoining panels to color match.

Rear ended on freeway after person behind was not paying attention and braked hard at the last second resulting in minor indentations in bumper from their license plate. According to Tesla authorized collision repair, the black plastic piece directly under it which you can barely see so I asked to keep the part they were to replace. Anyway, I think that was over $2500.

This is on a Model S.

(From OP) Thanks for all the good words. His insurance adjuster and I had a good laugh about his claim that I hit him. I didn’t even notice that he hit me twice. It was really a scraping sort of impact; nothing that would have injured anyone. 75% of the traffic turns left to go to the highway and that’s the direction the other guy lives in.

Damaged the left rear door, quarter panel, and bumper. Estimate (from the premiere Tesla repair business in town) was only $4000. I thought it would be much higher, given some other comments I seen in TMC. I’m scheduled for repair in early December and they want the car for two weeks.

I wonder how high the other drivers rates will go up
I wouldn't be so quick to presume the other driver even has Insurance necessarily. Not in this case, but statistics in many states are one out of five drive around insurance free. A good size contingent of those do so because they've lost their driving privileges for such acts of recidivist stupidity.

• Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno
Being the Devil's Advocate here. It looked like you were passing him on the right and were in his blind spot when he turned. He hit you, no doubt about it, and he didn't signal, which he should have. But a little defensive drive horse-sense may have avoided the accident all together.

• Disagree
Reactions: focher and afadeev
Are there diffrent degrees of diminished value between a scrashes along the side to replacing the rear or front end. I mean when you go to sell your car will it depict that on the carfax. Will there be a diffrence in the monetery value as i did get rear ended last week and there looking to replace the bumper and trunk as of now.

I had an accident in the two-lane exit road from a parking lot. A car in the left lane tried to get around traffic by using the right lane, which I already occupied. His right front impacted my left rear.

The other driver told his insurance company that I turned into him. There were no witnesses, but I had the model 3 cameras! I sent the below message to both insurance companies and his insurance company quickly accepted liability for repairing my model 3. So, I don't have to pay the $1000 deductible or have it cont as an accident claim on my insurance. (Note that the insurance company asked my to upload the video to YouTube; this eliminates them worrying that my files might contain a virus or malware.)

Here are three YouTube videos showing the accident. They are automatically captured by the Tesla Model 3 cameras. The impact occurs at 00:05 in each video.
We are in a line of vehicles moving to exit the parking lots of Del Monte Center. The other vehicle (V2) is in front and moves to the left lane. He is intending to turn left at the end of the exit lanes. My vehicle (V1) continues in the open right lane to turn right at the end.
V2 decides to pass the other left-turning vehicles and drives right into my lane, impacting my left rear side.

Front View
https://youtu.be/KeiC1q_X-to
shows V2 moving completely into the left lane while V1 continues straight in the middle of the right lane.

Back View
https://youtu.be/2gze94YoKTI
V1 is passing V2. V2 tries to move into the right lane, impacting V1.

Left View
https://youtu.be/uJtIdad6zFI
shows the impact of the front of V2 into the rear of V1. V2 has clearly crossed the traffic lane lines to impact V1.
Forgive my ignorance, but how did you obtain those videos? Are they part of the Tesla's camera system, or was this a separate dash cam?

In EU, as soon as accident happens, no matter where, both parties have to STOP immediately. Driving "to the side of the road" or "next safe place like parking lot" is counted as hit-and-run.
You stop. You do photos as a minimum. If damages are huge you stay there until police arrives or the one at fault has signed the liability paper. Camera helps in situations where you do not stop.
NEVER be afraid that you are creating a traffic jam. Later on you pay thousands if you mess it up (like not having dashcam or corrupt video).

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
In EU, as soon as accident happens, no matter where, both parties have to STOP immediately. Driving "to the side of the road" or "next safe place like parking lot" is counted as hit-and-run.
You stop. You do photos as a minimum. If damages are huge you stay there until police arrives or the one at fault has signed the liability paper. Camera helps in situations where you do not stop.
NEVER be afraid that you are creating a traffic jam. Later on you pay thousands if you mess it up (like not having dashcam or corrupt video).

That is really an inconsiderate law. Assuming it happened on a 2 lane highway, you could potentially back up traffic in both directions for miles, or create such a log jam it takes much longer for police to arrive on scene.

Last edited:

Interesting, here they even have signs up on the freeway that read like "fender bender? Move vehicles to shoulder.".

pz52rwmmktdwfoavyntm.jpg

Interesting. Many places here in the US have signs like this along the highways directing you to move your vehicles out of traffic for minor crashes. That is pretty common practice for safety when the vehicles are drivable and there are no injuries.

Edit: I see somebody was thinking the same thing haha
1769478.jpg