Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great Key fob unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I truly am sorry for those of you that need the fob. I guess we are lucky that our phones are working pretty well for us. When I got a loaner S recently, I found the use of the fob to be very clumsy. Boy do we get used to modern conveniences (when they work) awfully fast!

Reactions: preilly44
I truly am sorry for those of you that need the fob. I guess we are lucky that our phones are working pretty well for us.

Nice for you, but believe it or not, there are still people who buy an EV yet don't want to carry a phone with them everywhere!
And don't get me started about the keycard, which is a joke in itself.
The Model 3 fob is the second greatest bit of news to me right after the CCS charge port and Supercharger CCS retrofit. Means in future I can also charge my e-Golf at convenient Supercharger locations.
Great!

Awesome. I have a Tesla lanyard I’ll use for the fob

Attachments

• 5F8D4AA0-FEC9-4D06-AEE8-2143F51C5F67.jpeg
    5F8D4AA0-FEC9-4D06-AEE8-2143F51C5F67.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Nice for you, but believe it or not, there are still people who buy an EV yet don't want to carry a phone with them everywhere!
The Model 3 fob is the second greatest bit of news to me right after the CCS charge port and Supercharger CCS retrofit. Means in future I can also charge my e-Golf at convenient Supercharger locations.
Great!
You'll never get the Supercharger to charge your e-Golf, even if you can plug it in, unless VW make an agreement with Tesla.
Just because it's the right port, doesn't mean it will work.
Even with the CCS port, only Teslas will be able to charge at Superchargers unless agreements are made between automakers or Tesla opens the network to all cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Joe
You'll never get the Supercharger to charge your e-Golf, even if you can plug it in, unless VW make an agreement with Tesla.
Just because it's the right port, doesn't mean it will work.
Even with the CCS port, only Teslas will be able to charge at Superchargers unless agreements are made between automakers or Tesla opens the network to all cars.

You're right, I hadn't thought of that. Otoh, if a CCS equipped Model 3 can charge at an Ionity charging station, why should a CCS equipped other BEV not be allowed to use a Supercharger?
In the end it might be a case for the Eurocrats to demand an open architecture for everyone.

Great!
Austin, question, have you been around Tesla stuff long enough to remember when there was no X and the S owners were complaining that they wished the fob was smaller, thinner? Their shouts were for a smart card. Something they could carry in the wallet. And another group at the time wanted to simply use their smartphone - passing on the smart card hoping the phone only method would happen sooner if they didn't ask for the smart card. After a while the complaining faded into the background and we heard no more about a smart card from these folks.

Now jump ahead three+ years and the 3 folks got only smartphone and smart card connectivity. And they have learned its not fun to use. And they wish they had the fob that the S folks didn't want. I personally am glad the 3 folks are getting the fob and the option of getting the fob if they want it. Those that are not unhappy can continue to use the smart card.

So what's my point? I think its simply ironic that those S owners that wanted a smart card are very quiet now harvesting the dislike from the 3 folks that really don't like not having the fob. Sometimes we just don't know how good we have it until someone reminds us we are well off, huh? :)