Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The interior door latch that we shouldn't use??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, wire the microswitch in parallel with the "real" door unlock button. So, as you raise the manual releases, the microswitch hits the unlock button for you. Unless you pull on the manual release really quickly, the window should already be in motion and out of the way before the glass hits the frame.

Either that, or get a small electric fence controller and wire that to the manual release. :)

Reactions: iwannam3
Turn on the child safety lock for the back doors that way you only have to explain to the front passenger. :p
Back doors don’t have the manual release. And yes, that’s a whole ‘nother issue that has been debated to death :D
Even better: just put all passengers in the rear seats. Only "trained personnel" should be allowed in the front seats...

Has anyone actually experienced any verifiable damage related to the emergency pulls? Scratched glass/tint? Worse?

Wondering how many times it would take to actually break something, or if it’s a stochastic problem that could happen the very first time, if unlucky...

Wondering how many times it would take to actually break something, or if it’s a stochastic problem that could happen the very first time, if unlucky...

Uhhh... sorry but had to ask. Is 'stochastic' a word used often in Hawaii? Haven't been there in two years, but apparently things have changed.

When passengers start fumbling for the door handle I just tell them to push the red button. (red reflective tape)
Works every time.
doorhandle.JPG

The button design on the rear seats in the model 3 is terrible, they should redesign it. When I sat in the backseat of a m3 at the tesla sales office, the emergency button had been pressed so many times.

It's just unclear how to open the stupid rear doors, they need something, like a flashing light, because you think those are probably window controls. Like a picture of a car door on it.

I haven’t had an issue. I usually am quick to tell them to push the button when I park. When I forget to tell them, no one has pulled the latch they all just look around lost until I say push the button. The button isn’t intuitive but the latch isn’t either, in my experience you have plenty of time to tell people how to get out before they figure out either method.

The button design on the rear seats in the model 3 is terrible, they should redesign it. When I sat in the backseat of a m3 at the tesla sales office, the emergency button had been pressed so many times.

It's just unclear how to open the stupid rear doors, they need something, like a flashing light, because you think those are probably window controls. Like a picture of a car door on it.
What emergency button? The rear seats don’t have an emergency latch. o_O

It's just more silly minimalism run amok.

"Oooh lets be all cool and trendy and put no labels anywhere for anything." Oh Great. You're an idiot.

I am not sure why people would have so much trouble. Whenever there is a new person sitting at my passenger seat, I have to teach them how to open the door from the outside. Once they know that the car is not "normal", they usually don't try to press or pull anything inside without first asking for direction, and that includes getting out of the car. I just say to "press the button at the top of the handle bar". I have to admit, there were a few that will look at the door and look back at you again.. then I just point to the button next to me and said "this one".

Reactions: Big Earl
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it only a problem using the manual lever when there is no power? That is when the window will not go down the small amount when you open the door. Otherwise it should be fine using it. Even if the window doesn't go down, the door should open ok, even though it would hit the trim. Closing it is more of a problem. We have had our windows ice up in our Model S and when they don't go down they hit the trim. You can still close the door if you push on the window towards the car as you close it. Haven't had a problem with damaged trim yet. So don't sweat people using the manual lever.