Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the entire premise of this thread....

The "premise" of this thread is "M3 Terrifies BMW".

Just the opposite of course as the BMW notes. The T3 gives BMW a great selling point for a performance plug-in hybrid that would allow someone to have a high priced, high performance status car like a Tesla now and not have the range anxiety issues.

The T3 is a marketing opportunity for BMW. It's exactly what Tesla wants, other car mfg's building electric cars, cutting emissions. More people buy any of BMW's four electric vehicles, the more BMW will make and sell and the fewer emissions.

The publicity around the T3 makes people consider BMW 300e.

Chuckle...20 pages of hysterical rants over the BMW 330e say otherwise. BMW's 330e is for people who want to cut their GHG emissions now by 30-100% vs. three years from now, run on pure EV for 60% of their driving and (so important to some Tesla fans) have a "performance" car that can do red light racing and merge lane mania plus have the status of being expensive as a Tesla.

72 MPGe for the 330e
89 MPGe for Tesla 70D.

The 330e's 14 miles on pure EV would mean, even charging just from home, average person (12.6 mile one way commute) could do their AM commute as an EV cutting their daily emissions by 60%. Work charging and they are 100% EV for 50% of their driving. Likely near 80% of their driving (local market, kids school and sports) in EV mode. Nice work and high tec, high status car (important issues to many Tesla and BMW owners alike).

The only thing "crippled" is the one-dimensional thinking of some Teslarati snobs.

You do understand that the MPGe rating you just quoted for the 330e is only for the battery portion of the drive, right?

If you only drive 14 miles at a time and keep your speed and acceleration down, you can drive the 330e on electricity only - and use 24% more electricity than the worst Tesla (the one you picked) would for the same drive.

If you go further or faster, it gets much worse for the BMW as you start mixing 31 mpg gas miles into the total.

And the BMW 330e also gives you ICE: upkeep, oil changes, tuneups, polution, complexicity. If one is going to include a battery and electric drive chain, then why add ICE complexity, complications and tailpipe?

Because, as BMW points out, you can buy it now, get great "performance", get status of expensive purchase and get as low CHG emissions as a T3.

You do understand that the MPGe rating you just quoted for the 330e is only for the battery portion of the drive, right?

You do understand that the MPGe range I quoted for the 330e is only for the battery portion of the drive, right?

If you only drive 14 miles at a time

You do understand that the MPGe range of 14 miles is greater than average commute of 12.6 miles, right?

If you go further or faster, it gets much worse for the BMW as you start mixing 31 mpg gas miles into the total.

You do understand that if you go further and faster in a T3, it gets much worse for the Tesla as you start needing to change plans to accommodate location and availability of charging stations and the time it will require to charge, right?

You do understand that a top 20% income earner could buy a BMW300e now versus waiting two-three years for a T3 and cut their emissions by 80% over the next two-three years, right?

You do understand that cutting GHG emissions is the goal, right?

Chuckle...20 pages of hysterical rants over the BMW 330e say otherwise.
What you call "hysterical" I call "based on reason and logical analysis".

The 330e is a half-assed attempt by BMW to conform to ever expanding regulations in European cities to exclude vehicle that are only powered by an ICE. BMW isn't serious about BEVs and has yet to make a viable Tesla competitor. BMW is locked into a 20th century mindset and is desperately postponing going pure electric because it is hooked on fossil fuels and the near term profits that flow from their current ICE vehicle line.

By the time BMW does make a real BEV, years from now, the company will have lost so much market share to Tesla that it will never recover.

You are welcome to disagree. We shall see whose predictions are more accurate 5 years from now. But your sarcastic and dismissive attitude does not serve you well.

Guys, can we all get our heads together and form a company? The troll is eating up whatever you're feeding it. I'm pretty sure we'd kill in the marketplace!

On a serious note, how does the 330e fare against the i3?

What you call "hysterical" I call "based on reason and logical analysis".

Most hysterics think their fears and subsequent behavior are justified. In this case, a performance car with a 72 MPGe now vs. a performance car with an 89 MPGe later, there's no reason for the hysteria of a buyer choosing one excellent low emissions purchase over another.

The more BMW sells high MPGe vehicles, the better it is for the environment, better for everyone who wants to see more low emissions vehicles on the road. If BMW can sell a bunch of 300e's now, it will be encouraged to design and build more low emissions vehicles. In 2019 when a person can purchase a T3 in a reasonable time (90 days), if BMW is encouraged by 300e sales, the 2019 300e could have an EV range of 35 miles and cover 100% of most people's commute and around town basic driving.

Some Teslerati have hysterical fears over BMW and other mfg's offering plug in vehicles when that is exactly what we want Tesla's success to accomplish. They have taken their eyes off the prize (cutting CHG emissions) for a childish defense of their sandbox at the expense of reducing GHG every way we can as fast as we can.

Some Teslerati have hysterical fears over BMW and other mfg's offering plug in vehicles
Your idea that some Tesla supporters have "hysterical fears" of hybrids is misplaced. The hysteria is simply amusement and outright laughter because BMW is trying to convince people that an ICE hybrid with minuscule EV range is a better car than a Tesla.

In reality, BMW is terrified of losing market share to Tesla, and that causes BMW to release pathetically absurd ads. In the meantime, Tesla keeps selling increasing numbers of BEVs and moves inexorably towards Model 3 mass production.

Now if BMW launched a long range BEV with a high speed charging network at a price competitive to Tesla, I would applaud them. But BMW is obviously incapable of doing that now or for several years to come, and I am certain that over the next decade BMW will not build a high speed charging network for their BEVs that'll at some point they will have no choice but to produce.

This seems relevant to the thread: Benzinverbrauch: BMW - 3er - Spritmonitor.de

In Germany the average consumption for a 330e is 5.6 liters per 100 km, or 42 MPG. That doesn't include the electricity used.

It's an absurd thought that the 330e would inspire enough Model 3 reservation holders to get a 330e that BMW would break even with their ad budget. Not going to happen.

You do understand that cutting GHG emissions is the goal, right?
For whom ? Head over to the the BMW forums for an hour and tell me what fraction of posts over the past week mention AGW is some way other than to deny it's existence. If plug-ins are mentioned, I'm willing to wager the rationale is HOV access.

My opinion -- The BMW330e will steal VERY few TM3 sales. Not enough to even bother counting. OTOH, if BMW convinces it's customer base to hybridize or plug-in a little, that is cool. After all, the alternative is crappy BMW ICE all the way.

Reactions: Red Sage
For whom ? Head over to the the BMW forums for an hour and tell me what fraction of posts over the past week mention AGW is some way other than to deny it's existence. If plug-ins are mentioned, I'm willing to wager the rationale is HOV access.

My opinion -- The BMW330e will steal VERY few TM3 sales. Not enough to even bother counting. OTOH, if BMW convinces it's customer base to hybridize or plug-in a little, that is cool. After all, the alternative is crappy BMW ICE all the way.

I had trouble finding any discussion of the 330e on BMW forums, but here's a 5 page thread on a UK based forum about the car and ordering it:

So who has ordered a 330e so far?

As you surmised, there's only one even tangential mention of reducing GHG - by a gentlemen who bought one and assures us he's not a polar bear hugging eco warrior, but not a non carer either, and bought the car for the tax savings mostly - a fairly common motivation in the UK it seems.

Reactions: Red Sage
I would rather see TM3 reservation holders who can't wait any longer buy a 330e than an ICE. At least they will be more inclined to buy a full BEV on their next purchase after that. We know that plug-in hybrid owners typically move to full BEVs on their next car because they now understand benefits of electric drive and realize that even the small range is usually enough for most commutes. They also learn that 200+ miles is typically way more than enough.

Reactions: SageBrush