Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The many ways to open a MY door from inside or outside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RyMY

Apr 26, 2021
NY
What are some of the ways your passengers have done to try to open the door from the outside or inside?

Delivery date, my wife gets in the front passenger seat, closes the door and opens it from the emergency release. I had already explained to her how to open the door from the inside. LOL. Luckily, I think the new software drops the window also when using the emergency latch.

She also had some trouble opening from the outside. I tried showing her with the back door while she’s opening the front door. With her thumb she pushes the handle in. Now the door is open but still against the frame. She then uses her index and pushes in the same area and attempts to open the door with her index pressed against the edge of the door, where it meets the handle. Hahahaha

At least my 5 year old knows how to open it. She’s always the one to show people.

Reactions: Indecisive
Yeah, door opening re-engineering on the model 3 (and Y) was pushed a bit far. The emergency handle inside has been lowering the glass for a while now but there's still a risk if people open the door very quickly. The button has some wait built-in so it's the better option.
Everyone struggles with the outside handle the first time. As someone else said here on the forums: push the fat, pull the skinny is what you have to tell them :cool:

shopping
Don't know why Tesla had to reinvent a perfectly good "aerodynamic" door handle, that has been around since the late 60s.

shopping
Don't know why Tesla had to reinvent a perfectly good "aerodynamic" door handle, that has been around since the late 60s.
I liked Subaru XT coupes.. (best pic I could find in short notice). bottom flap would stay open when you pushed it in, then when you opened the door, it would flip up leaving a flush door

Attachments

• 04-1991-Subaru-XT6-Down-On-the-Junkyard-Picture-courtesy-of-Phil-Greden.jpg
    04-1991-Subaru-XT6-Down-On-the-Junkyard-Picture-courtesy-of-Phil-Greden.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 1987-subaru-xt-gl-2-door-coupe-3.jpg
    1987-subaru-xt-gl-2-door-coupe-3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: CyberGus
Can someone explain how it is difficult to open these? For the driver's door, I stick my left thumb on the back of the handle and grasp the handle when it pops out. On the passenger side I stick my right thumb on the back of the handle and grasp the handle when it pops out. Is it really so difficult to do this with your non-dominant hand?

I agree that the handles are probably needlessly complex but there were never a consideration in my purchasing decision and I would say they aren't hard to open (only hard to find in the dark occasionally).

Reactions: WillwayGTO
Can someone explain how it is difficult to open these? For the driver's door, I stick my left thumb on the back of the handle and grasp the handle when it pops out. On the passenger side I stick my right thumb on the back of the handle and grasp the handle when it pops out. Is it really so difficult to do this with your non-dominant hand?

I agree that the handles are probably needlessly complex but there were never a consideration in my purchasing decision and I would say they aren't hard to open (only hard to find in the dark occasionally).

My only issue is if I'm holding something in my right arm and need to open the passenger side doors. Its not anything I'd complain about though, but it does require a different technique to open the door.

I agree. I grew up with door handles list this and the MY work the same, with just a little delay as to when to grab the door handle.

1639155473801.png

Reactions: AlexHung