Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 - 2020 Q3 Order Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could just be a later DAHLIA booking - it’s just that 16/17 days after DAHLIA arrives seems a little late for my booking, and was told on vin match day that the car was about to leave the US, 1 day before CAPTAIN sailed.

Guess it doesn’t really matter once you have a VIN and a collection date booked - the car won’t care which ship it arrived on :D Just track both ships for extra fan points :cool:

Reactions: DanAndTheBeard
I’ve seen a lot of people mentioning an early September collection/delivery and saying it must be on GLOVIS CAPTAIN. My delivery is on 2nd September and I have been explicitly told by Tesla that my car is on the GRAND DAHLIA (though, not saying this is a definite just what I’ve been told).

Not sure what to believe right now
I’m in the same boat, probably literally. I was told by Tesla my car was on the Grand Dahlia and I have a collection date of 1st September. It does sound like the Captain cars are going to be ready at a similar time. If mines ready earlier I want it earlier!

Reactions: DanAndTheBeard
Being completely honest, I would rather wait 2-3 weeks and get a full PDI than be bothered about getting it super-fast and it not have been checked. All of the time between ship docking and centre arrival/collection day is freight logistics - when you order a car from most other places it can be 1-2 weeks for this part then another week for PDI. At least.

If the first thing you have to do is book appointments for corrections I see no value/benefit in that, let’s hope all the cars arrive as they should and are being checked fully :)

Being completely honest, I would rather wait 2-3 weeks and get a full PDI than be bothered about getting it super-fast and it not have been checked. All of the time between ship docking and centre arrival/collection day is freight logistics - when you order a car from most other places it can be 1-2 weeks for this part then another week for PDI. At least.

If the first thing you have to do is book appointments for corrections I see no value/benefit in that, let’s hope all the cars arrive as they should and are being checked fully :)
That's a very sensible attitude.

While waiting for my car during lockdown I saw several posts or YouTube vids (not just UK) about whirls or dull circles on paintwork which subsequently needed a service appointment to buff out.

I was half expecting to see the same when my car arrived but the paintwork was actually faultless apart from a tiny blob of dust under the paint on a wing mirror (moulded housing since replaced by a mobile ranger).

When I spoke to my Service Centre sales contact he told me that in normal times he would be responsible for PDI & that the darker colours (rarely white) sometimes have these dull patches where the factory have rectified a blemish they are not buffed out properly - the SC then do that during PDI. Apparently there are often smears around some of the glass roof panels where black sealant has squeezed out & sticky residue on paintwork/interior trim from protective tape applied during transit - both easily rectified by the customer but the SC like to try and make the car as faultless as possible beforehand.

My car did appear to have been fully checked, cleaned & polished at West Drayton even though delivered on a low loader so I agree that it's ultimately going to be better to wait a little longer and get a car that doesn't need a service booking.

Reactions: LongRanger
My car had 48 hours for PDI. I assume it's the same for all.

They explicitly said "the car needs to be brought up to Heathrow (from Southampton) on date x, then needs 48 hours for inspection, so delivery will need to be after that".

I don't think anyone is getting more PDI time just by waiting a few weeks for the next boat or whatever - they'll be doing the standard inspection and then just trying to deliver asap.

Also, it's not as though they do the inspection and then tell you to wait till they fix something - they're going to give it to you anyway! (Unless the car actually does not drive). From their perspective most customers aren't going to reject the car and they know they can just deal with stuff via service appointment afterwards.

Tesla methodology :)

Reactions: Neilio

agreed. They can take as long as they want if it means I’m not going to get a lemon

I’ve seen a lot of people mentioning an early September collection/delivery and saying it must be on GLOVIS CAPTAIN. My delivery is on 2nd September and I have been explicitly told by Tesla that my car is on the GRAND DAHLIA (though, not saying this is a definite just what I’ve been told).

Not sure what to believe right now
Same here, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I'm hoping as I've got the delivery date and they told me Dahlia it should be just that. It's interesting others who have a similar delivery dates to be on the captain. Tbh as long as it comes I'm not bothered which ship, however, I've tracked Dahlia since she set sail.

Reactions: Neilio
Same here, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I'm hoping as I've got the delivery date and they told me Dahlia it should be just that. It's interesting others who have a similar delivery dates to be on the captain. Tbh as long as it comes I'm not bothered which ship, however, I've tracked Dahlia since she set sail.
I'm the same. I'll actually be in Southampton when she docks. What are the chances of me going to say hello to her?

a data point:

Had it confirmed to me that my car is indeed on the Glovis Captain. Delivery date 3rd Sept, Brum. The earliest 70 reg plates will be issued is 26th August.

I strongly suspect that all those who received VIN matches early last week along with delivery booking SMS' last week are also on the Glovis Captain.

If you get through to Dean on the phone then you're in luck! He was happy to text me my VIN too, 76****

Web chat with Tesla today and have been told my car is on the Dahlia.

I have the VIN but no text to confirm delivery date although lease company is saying 1st-4th September.

So what dates are being suggested to you guys with cars on the Dahlia. ??

many thanks

h

Web chat with Tesla today and have been told my car is on the Dahlia.

I have the VIN but no text to confirm delivery date although lease company is saying 1st-4th September.

So what dates are being suggested to you guys with cars on the Dahlia. ??

many thanks

h
Mine is meant to be on the Dahlia with a collection date on the 1st of Sept but had 1-3 Sept as an option.

Hm so I received my VIN today - 77****. She mentioned that the VIN was assigned 8 august and delivery likely end september. based on VIN it appears vehicle was manufactured in the US.

What's the chance of it being on the Dahlia for a start sept delivery?

Hm so I received my VIN today - 77****. She mentioned that the VIN was assigned 8 august and delivery likely end september. based on VIN it appears vehicle was manufactured in the US.

What's the chance of it being on the Dahlia for a start sept delivery?
Probably looking at end of load of Glovis Captain or RCC Asia as it's currently loading in SF, won't know until there is more evidence of collection date via text message/email.