Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correction. Apparently it is the iQ EV that won't be sold to public.

But, in the June issue of Plugin America's newsletter, Linda Nicholas writes "but they plan a limited production of only 2,600. Also they don't know if they will even sell it. May be only lease".

Last edited:
It makes sense that they are going to call it the "iQ EV". They probably want to stay away from reusing the RAV4 EV nameplate.
Dontcha think that when they see Nissan sell every Leaf they can make as fast as they can make it and STILL have a ridiculous waiting list next year, they will change their minds?

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/1063236_want-a-strike2012-toyota-rav4-strike-2012-scion-iq-ev-you-wont-be-able-to-buy-one-update

Since this story was published, we've had a comment from Cindy Knight, Toyota Public Affairs Manager confirming that Toyota will be making the 2012 Toyota RAV4EV available for private purchase. Instead, Autoblog are reporting that it is the Scion iQ EV which will not be available to purchase. We thank Toyota for this clarification.

I guess Tesla will be buzzy the next months!!!!!!!
Rav EV + Model S

Last edited:
Tesla-Powered Toyota RAV4 E.V. to Be Built in Canada, Not California

tesla-powered-toyota-rav4-e-v-to-be-built-in-canada

Toyota announced Friday that the electric RAV4 would be built in 2012 with the regular gas version at the automaker’s factory in Woodstock, Ontario. Tesla will build drive trains for the electric RAV4s at a plant at its Palo Alto, Calif., headquarters, then will ship them to Canada.

Both the Model S and the coming Model X, built on the S’s platform, will be built at the Fremont factory,

Tesla converted 32 RAV4s to battery power in Palo Alto for use in a evaluation and demonstration program that is still operating

Instead, Toyota announced Friday that the electric RAV4 would be built in 2012 with the regular gas version at the automaker’s factory in Woodstock, Ontario. Tesla will build drive trains for the electric RAV4s at a plant at its Palo Alto, Calif., headquarters, then will ship them to Canada.

Toyota is the company building the EV RAV4 and Telsa is supplying the drive train so if TMC wants to build in Canada they can because the RAV4 is their product. I'm glad to see that TM is growing and expanding.

I've been saying for sometime now that all this EV talk from Toyota is purely for CARB. From Last October in this thread ...

CARB Play ...

BTW, I've become pessimistic about the reason Toyota and Honda are doing EVs. It is just for CARB. Auto majors need to make 60,000 ZEVs between 2012 and 2015. So this RAV4EV will be made in small numbers and leased only in CA.

Atleast Toyota is saying, it is not lease only.

Last Wednesday, Toyota dealership executives were given test drives in the Rav 4 EV prototype in Los Angeles. Following this they were told that deliveries would begin in limited numbers at the end of the first quarter 2012.

The dealership called me and asked if I wanted to sell the one I have had on order back to them. Apparently they have had other requests.

For some reason, it never clicked to me that the Rav4 EV would be the first to market before the X, making it the first EV SUV (not including the original, short run of the Rav 4). I might have missed it, but were there published expected range numbers and such?