Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, I was scouring this forum just now for discussion of this. It was reported last Wednesday and I was surprised it hadn't been discussed here yet.

The company plans to sell the electric RAV4 starting in 2012 ... Tesla said it might produce 1,000 of the RAV4 Electric models at the Fremont plant, where it also plans to build its electric Model S luxury sports sedan.

Much as I want a Roadster, I had become accustomed to the fact that the Leaf would fit my budget better. But now I'm conflicted again: as a long long Tesla fan, does anyone have any hint of how such an RAV4 EV would be priced? And can it haul a light trailer -- say 600 lb?

Much as I want a Roadster, I had become accustomed to the fact that the Leaf would fit my budget better. But now I'm conflicted again: as a long long Tesla fan, does anyone have any hint of how such an RAV4 EV would be priced? And can it haul a light trailer -- say 600 lb?

Tell me its range - I'll tell you its price.

BTW, I've become pessimistic about the reason Toyota and Honda are doing EVs. It is just for CARB. Auto majors need to make 60,000 ZEVs between 2012 and 2015. So this RAV4EV will be made in small numbers and leased only in CA.

BTW, I've become pessimistic about the reason Toyota and Honda are doing EVs. It is just for CARB. Auto majors need to make 60,000 ZEVs between 2012 and 2015. So this RAV4EV will be made in small numbers and leased only in CA.
If Toyota and/or Honda try to pull that lease-only stunt (almost again) ... there'll be an UPROAR with a VERY capital "U". They'll never get close to 60,000. <frown>

Given their very public attitudes toward EVs, I think this is the case too. Honda, I am sure this is the case, since they STILL have no major commitment to EVs besides from a couple of concepts. For Toyota, I'm kind of buying the story that the CEO wanted to get back to the entrepreneurial spirit in investing with Tesla, but I still see reluctance, esp with Bill Reinert (big hydrogen backer, big plug-in/EV detractor) running the RAV4 EV program.

If Toyota and/or Honda try to pull that lease-only stunt (almost again) ... there'll be an UPROAR with a VERY capital "U". They'll never get close to 60,000. <frown>
I think the issue will mostly be solved with ZEV credit trading (as it is done now). If the individual automakers can't carry their own weight, the Leaf and Model S should generate enough credits to do so. For Toyota, contracting a BEV may be cheaper than buying credits and gives them extra PR.

Last edited:
The bad press alone will likely keep any company from trying a lease and crush method of marketing. Remember Toyota was the company that actually sold their EV's the last time, and the fact that many of them are still on the road today gives them a good bit of EV cred.

The bad press alone will likely keep any company from trying a lease and crush method of marketing. Remember Toyota was the company that actually sold their EV's the last time, and the fact that many of them are still on the road today gives them a good bit of EV cred.

Not talking about crushing. Leasing isn't causing much bad press - just see the Mini-E.

Asking Tesla to do the tech. Converting existing model. All this points to low numbers & CA only. I think Toyota is more interested in plug-in Prius as their volume vehicle.

Couple of caveats. Nissan Leaf sales & gas prices (which are probably related anyway). If they are high, Toyota will rethink the strategy.