Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contact Chris Howell and try an "OpenEVSE", if it doesn't work he'll find out the reason why and fix it.
For the Roadster a resistor needed to be changed from 1K ohm (which every other EV worked with), to 850 ohms.

Chris is hosting a workshop on Dec 1, and I will build two 75 amp "portable" EVSEs. About $600 each.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably the mule for the RAV 4

That fuse block (with the two battery cables attached to each end) looks very similar to that in the Rav4.

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

28D54B27-E205-44BD-9329-FEB4BB45D815-2559-000002C758E527D1.jpg

IMG_1755-1.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

Last edited:
I've set up a wiki-map (like the one we have for Tesla Reservation holders) on which Rav4 EV owners can post their locations. I'll approve them as they come in.

Here's how to add an entry for yourself (and your Rav4 EV):
1. Point your browser to: Rav4EVOwners
2. To add a marker, use the Additions/Add Marker - Simple drop-down.
3. Enter in your forum name, your car's color, and your location
4. Submit your entry
5. Wait (semi-patiently) for me to approve your submission

If you want to just enter your city, feel free. I turned on the setting to hide street addresses for those of us who are semi-security conscious.

I'm curious to see where all of you, and your cars, are. Any out of staters?

-Chris

I have to admit, I was dubious that the Rav4 would really have 41.8kWh usable, but after running it to "turtle" mode (same as the LEAF), and measuring over 50kWh at the EVSE getting pumped back in, I'm a believer.

I did drive the car 130.1 miles on a rental. Here is my second draft of the range chart for this car. Lots of work to do, but you'll notice that I've highlighted the EPA ratings, which appear to be achieved at 2.7 miles/kWh.

The fuel gauge, unfortunately, does read above 80% capacity. I don't know why Toyota/Tesla thought that was wise.

Rav4rangeChartVersion1draft1.jpg

So they hope demand for it picks up in other parts of the country, but it's not for sale in other parts of the country...

That not what she says at 4:50. It was clear that 2600 through 2014 in California only (and not specifically stated is the Zero Emissions Vehicle credits from CARB) is all that's planned today, however AFTER 2014, if there is demand (and with only 140 sold so far... not looking so good), then they would look at what to do post 2014.

I predict it will be exactly what they did in 2003 with the previous Rav4.

I was thinking about the onboard charger for the RAV4 EV. I had assumed it was the same one as the standard 10kW charger on the Model S but then everything you see says the maximum charge rate is 9.6kW(40amp X 240v) while Tesla says the S charges at 10kW. I know it's splitting hairs, but is it the same onboard charger and they just list the charge rate differently? It would be surprising if they actually made a different charger since most of the other components are shared. Also is the onboard charger three 3.3kW chargers stacked together?

Last edited:
I believe that the rav got the 9.6 kw designation due to the recommended EVSE pairing with Leutron which has a maximum output of 9.6 kw. I use a clipper creek ts-70 converted to J1772, and see a full40 amps rate.

Thanks Lloyd. So even on an EVSE like the TS-70 that can supply up to 70amps the RAV4 will only pull 40amps which is 9.6kW then, interesting. So would you know if the Model S limit it's draw to 9.6kW also if you were charging it from a 70amp supply?

Like I said, I know it's splitting hairs here, I'm just curious if there is any difference in the two charging systems. I had figured they would be identical.