Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The number of used Tesla 3/Y available is staggering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update. So went to Honda dealership and they did appraisal and were upfront that they know these model y’s sit and so would only offer what they think they can make a profit on at auction. But they also didn’t want to hose me so said they would offer $58k. Hopefully they don’t screw me on the paperwork or something but it looks like thus far they are on the up and up. They will likely make more money than auction but are not just completely bending me over like the other offers out there. So I gave them the business on the spot. Given the circumstances, it was my best option other than just keeping the Model Y.

Picked up the BMW IX this afternoon. Haven’t driven it too much but immediately everyone in the family liked the vehicle better than the MYP (and the kids loved the MYP). Quality of materials are just so much more in line with what I’m used to when paying up for a vehicle. Build quality also seems so much better. IDrive 8 is going to take some getting used even though we have a car with idrive 7 but so happy to have CarPlay back in a car. In terms of the drive, the suspension is just so much more relaxing. Air suspension works wonders. The cabin is so much more isolated and quiet and doesn’t have that weird acoustic echo chamber issue that I’ve had in the MYP. Haven’t pushed it hard to figure out the handling but it just feels so much more serene and confidence inspiring. Initial impressions are this car is what luxury EV’s should be. However, I fully optioned this out with the nicer materials and get that this car can be out of reach price wise for most of the population. But for me, it is worth the extra cash.

Overall enjoyed my MYP ownership but happy to be out of it. If they keep the price point where it is, I do hope they include more options. A heads up display and better suspension would be huge. Or maybe the X if back to near $100k would be great. But onto other things. Good luck to you all and the community.

…Also got an email from Rivian today saying my R1S will be ready in Oct-Dec 2023…..hmmmm…what to do….

Just an update. So went to Honda dealership and they did appraisal and were upfront that they know these model y’s sit and so would only offer what they think they can make a profit on at auction. But they also didn’t want to hose me so said they would offer $58k. Hopefully they don’t screw me on the paperwork or something but it looks like thus far they are on the up and up. They will likely make more money than auction but are not just completely bending me over like the other offers out there. So I gave them the business on the spot. Given the circumstances, it was my best option other than just keeping the Model Y.

Picked up the BMW IX this afternoon. Haven’t driven it too much but immediately everyone in the family liked the vehicle better than the MYP (and the kids loved the MYP). Quality of materials are just so much more in line with what I’m used to when paying up for a vehicle. Build quality also seems so much better. IDrive 8 is going to take some getting used even though we have a car with idrive 7 but so happy to have CarPlay back in a car. In terms of the drive, the suspension is just so much more relaxing. Air suspension works wonders. The cabin is so much more isolated and quiet and doesn’t have that weird acoustic echo chamber issue that I’ve had in the MYP. Haven’t pushed it hard to figure out the handling but it just feels so much more serene and confidence inspiring. Initial impressions are this car is what luxury EV’s should be. However, I fully optioned this out with the nicer materials and get that this car can be out of reach price wise for most of the population. But for me, it is worth the extra cash.

Overall enjoyed my MYP ownership but happy to be out of it. If they keep the price point where it is, I do hope they include more options. A heads up display and better suspension would be huge. Or maybe the X if back to near $100k would be great. But onto other things. Good luck to you all and the community.

…Also got an email from Rivian today saying my R1S will be ready in Oct-Dec 2023…..hmmmm…what to do….

Congrats on the iX... it's a sweet ride.

I'd say $58K for a MYP seems low but okay in this declining market.

I also have a Rivian arriving and my ETA is July-Sept 2023 which is still too far away lol.

I've had the chance to buy three different iXs (at MSRP around $100K-$110K) in the past two months but decided against it. My reasoning was if I bought the iX and kept it 6-9 months, I'd probably easily lose $20K. It's just not a high demand SUV and BMW dealers around me get stock and sell at MSRP so why would anybody buy a used one anywhere near MSRP? I'm pretty set on getting the Rivian so buying the iX as a stopgap would be a bad financial decision.

With that said.. used Rivian prices are much lower now. My friend was able to snatch a sub-2000 mile R1T for $82K which is somewhere between the old and new MSRP.

Yeah I’m mixed on rivian. No way I’d pay the updated price for my configuration at $96 (I’m at $80). I have not seen interior in person but from what I can online it seems comparable to model x, below IX (if fully optioned with the high end leather). I think the functionality looks amazing. I want to better understand just how “beta” the product is as I’ve heard some issues with the r1t (flat bed cover, glass roof breaking, panel gaps, that other recall that escapes me). My big issue will be whether there is a service center near by. With Tesla there was one 15 minutes from where I live. Currently the closest one to me in NJ is in Long Island which is 1.5hr away with traffic. Heard the next facility will be in Philly which is 2hr from me. Those options are both deal breakers for me. We shall see. I did sign their “binding contract” in august which gives up $100 to hopefully lock in the $7500 credit. I doubt that will be honored by IRS but if it is , that would put my purchase price within spitting distance of MYP and I would consider getting rid of our x5 m50i for it (again if a service center were to open in northern NJ).

Yeah I’m mixed on rivian. No way I’d pay the updated price for my configuration at $96 (I’m at $80). I have not seen interior in person but from what I can online it seems comparable to model x, below IX (if fully optioned with the high end leather). I think the functionality looks amazing. I want to better understand just how “beta” the product is as I’ve heard some issues with the r1t (flat bed cover, glass roof breaking, panel gaps, that other recall that escapes me). My big issue will be whether there is a service center near by. With Tesla there was one 15 minutes from where I live. Currently the closest one to me in NJ is in Long Island which is 1.5hr away with traffic. Heard the next facility will be in Philly which is 2hr from me. Those options are both deal breakers for me. We shall see. I did sign their “binding contract” in august which gives up $100 to hopefully lock in the $7500 credit. I doubt that will be honored by IRS but if it is , that would put my purchase price within spitting distance of MYP and I would consider getting rid of our x5 m50i for it (again if a service center were to open in northern NJ).
I saw this thread earlier that you might find interesting
:

• Informative
Reactions: npa201 and bobbyjae
I will be seriously considering a BMW iX or Rivian for next time. Love my MYLR; however, the suspension is lacking and the boominess is getting annoying. The instant torque was amazing at first but I have a feeling every other premium EV will be fast moving forward. A quiet cabin with a refined suspension feels more important as time goes by.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Yeah not sure if it was all the glass. The double pane window kept noise out but when the kids would slam door or even when talking in the car, there was a weird acoustic situation in the car that I didn’t love. Also the whine of the motors was tolerable but would love if it was somehow muffled. Loved the speed. Loved the look of the wheels. But the tires did not look like the right size for the wheels and offered no protection on curbing (and the sensors were not helpful in avoiding curbs).

Reactions: bobbyjae
Every single one of my acquaintances who has a Rivian is totally in love with it.

The problem with Y's suspension isn't the lack of air suspension. It's recommend pressures at 40+psi, cheap million--cars-per-year price point dampers, and weight. Coil springs can ride amazing with good tuning, even without gee-whiz adaptive dampers if you use a properly tuned monotube or FSV damper, but when you use a low-end damper to suspend a heavy car with a rock-hard tire, well, welcome to BMW's early learnings with RFT's. Y rides a lot like those earlier models with first-generation run-flats. Maybe the Performance gets a better damper because it didn't seem to ride any worse than the Long Range when I back-to-backed them before ordering an X, but that's a century ago in tesla running change years, so my experience is probably outdated for a 2023 rolling off the line. The stretched tires are no doubt to help with rolling resistance, but yeah, they come certified pre-curbed

I've said many times on here give me a 4-6" wheelbase stretched Model Y (and use the extra space for more battery) and I'll order one tomorrow. I'll even install my own instrument panel and proper suspension, just give me the space! But Tesla seems most interested in hitting that 50th percentile buyer with Model Y (which they aren't doing at these prices, but, the car offers most of what everyone wants)

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan and ohmman
To each their own, but I had a 24 hour test drive of the iX and HATED it, and this is coming from a BMW brand loyalist. The styling is horrendously overdone inside and out. I was hoping the grill/frontend would grow on me, but it is horrific, like generationally horrific. The other crazy thing is that while it has the form factor of an SUV, it has zero of the benefits (i.e. space) the Y has magnitudes more storage and the rear seating is tilted at an angle where even my kids were cramped.

It does drive well and it has that familiar to me BMW feel in that regard, but it's nothing spectacular. The HUD was probably what I was most jealous of, but honestly that's it. I hate to be a downer for anyone that has or wants this car, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my experience as someone that has owned probably a dozen BMWs in the past.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
The interior seems weird for no reason. Why is there a 1987 Wagoneer woody door finish on my center console

Other iDrive8 cars are not so weird. Why can't EV's just be cars

The iX controls are wacky for sure.

Also mentioned above is the lack of space. I was expecting mid sized SUV with three rows but instead it’s a tad larger than the Y and the rear opening is pretty narrow.

Th EV market is missing an $80K mid sized SUV with three full-sized rows. Other than Rivian R1S what else is there?

EQS SUV isn't even that big (or cheap). And neither is the Rivian, really. It's smaller than it looks in person. I'd put legroom on both on par with the X, but the knee breakover is a little less nice than the X third row, and obviously the X third row has glass above your head instead of metal, which is certainly...interesting in summer. There's still nothing Tahoe-sized, and the Hummer SUV won't get a 3rd row supposedly. MAybe the ID Buzz and the Ioniq7 will be properly large. Or maybe Ford will get smart and make an Expedition EV on the Lightning platform ASAP, they'd have an order from me the day of the announcement

Unless you're getting one of the three "largeish" EV 3-rows, you're gonna be crammed into the back row anyway so you might as well get the aggressively normal EQB, which doesn't have much space in the 3rd row, but at least has door handles

I assume GM will stretch the trailblazer at some point. That platform supposedly has another 6" in its wheelbase flexibility more than the Lyriq/Blazer will have.

Last edited:
My big issue will be whether there is a service center near by. With Tesla there was one 15 minutes from where I live.
Well, I've owned four Teslas, and my experience was that I hardly ever needed service. Therre was once when my 12-volt battery was dying, but the Tesla Ranger came out and replaced it -- for free. My nearest service center is 110 miles away, which is fine because these cars DO NOT NEED SERVICE. I mean, I can replace my own windshield wiper fluid.... There's not much else needed. No oil or filter changes, no valve adjustments, no nothing. What service do you think you'll need? I've put over 100,000 miles on two of my four Teslas, and never ever did they need service.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
Well, I've owned four Teslas, and my experience was that I hardly ever needed service. Therre was once when my 12-volt battery was dying, but the Tesla Ranger came out and replaced it -- for free. My nearest service center is 110 miles away, which is fine because these cars DO NOT NEED SERVICE. I mean, I can replace my own windshield wiper fluid.... There's not much else needed. No oil or filter changes, no valve adjustments, no nothing. What service do you think you'll need? I've put over 100,000 miles on two of my four Teslas, and never ever did they need service.
You've been fortunate. My Model X has needed more service than my gas cars (all four combined) this year, and it's 6 years newer than the next newest gas car we own. And before you ask, none of those visits had anything to do with the doors. I would never have considered owning a Tesla were I more than 10-15 miles from a service center, and Rivian's current arrangement would be (and is, obviously, because I haven't ordered an R1S yet) a dealbreaker

Also, I would like to hear which cars for sale today still need valve adjustments, lol

Reactions: Daekwan and jsight
EQS SUV isn't even that big (or cheap). And neither is the Rivian, really. It's smaller than it looks in person. I'd put legroom on both on par with the X, but the knee breakover is a little less nice than the X third row, and obviously the X third row has glass above your head instead of metal, which is certainly...interesting in summer. There's still nothing Tahoe-sized, and the Hummer SUV won't get a 3rd row supposedly. MAybe the ID Buzz and the Ioniq7 will be properly large. Or maybe Ford will get smart and make an Expedition EV on the Lightning platform ASAP, they'd have an order from me the day of the announcement

Unless you're getting one of the three "largeish" EV 3-rows, you're gonna be crammed into the back row anyway so you might as well get the aggressively normal EQB, which doesn't have much space in the 3rd row, but at least has door handles

I assume GM will stretch the trailblazer at some point. That platform supposedly has another 6" in its wheelbase flexibility more than the Lyriq/Blazer will have.

The Rivian R1T and R1S are noticeably bigger than the iX. The R1S is a foot shorter than the R1T too.

1667320019076.png

1667320030722.png

1667320154700.png

1667320124123.png

1667320054509.png

No *sugar*. I'm talking about real world impressions of the interior, made in those interiors by own two butt cheeks, I can read a spec sheet as well as any bot

I haven't sat in a R1S but test drove a R1T (via First Mile drive) then sat in the back row while I let my coworker drive. Oodles of room. I imagine the third row instead of a flat bed would provide plenty of space.

The iX has great second row space but the rear cargo area is tiny. I was hoping for Telluride/Palisade cargo area but it's closer to a Sorrento or RAV4.