Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The only thing I want is a smoother ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I want is a smoother ride.
How can I get that? I'm 50 years old and I use my LR RWD model 3 for commuting and going on vacation. The roads in the Toronto area are crap. Lots of potholes especially in the spring.
I don't care about lowering the car, making it perform better on the track or such things . I understand that it a priority for other people and I get that, but it's not something I am looking to spend money on.

What aftermarket parts are available that will give me a smoother, softer ride so I don't feel the bumps in the crappy roads I drive?
I know there are parts available from vendors that claim to give a softer ride, but they also seem to be primarily used to lower the car, with softer ride being a second thought.
What can I do that is reasonably cost effective to improve the ride? Could it be as simple as changing the shocks? I don't know if the car even has shocks?
Thanks
I think you can get both tires and suspension parts to make the ride smoother.

How can I get that? I'm 50 years old and I use my LR RWD model 3 for commuting and going on vacation. The roads in the Toronto area are crap. Lots of potholes especially in the spring.
I don't care about lowering the car, making it perform better on the track or such things . I understand that it a priority for other people and I get that, but it's not something I am looking to spend money on.

What aftermarket parts are available that will give me a smoother, softer ride so I don't feel the bumps in the crappy roads I drive?
I know there are parts available from vendors that claim to give a softer ride, but they also seem to be primarily used to lower the car, with softer ride being a second thought.
What can I do that is reasonably cost effective to improve the ride? Could it be as simple as changing the shocks? I don't know if the car even has shocks?
Thanks
I'm 52. I never thought that I'd find myself longing for an old-person, Cadillac like suspension, but my spine is now to the point where it tells me about every little pebble I run over.

I got the P3D- specifically because it did not have the sport suspension. Even so, I do wish it was a bit less firm. Count me in as one that would like a softer suspension option.

There are third party suspension options, but I'm not sure if anyone of them offers softer rides.

How can I get that? I'm 50 years old and I use my LR RWD model 3 for commuting and going on vacation....
Depending on what you have, Tesla might do it for you. My Model 3 was built in December, 2017. Some time after that they smoothed out the ride. When I took it to my service center a year later and asked if they could do anything, they did "Correction: Retrofit Springs, Dampers, and Rear Lower Fore Links With Updated Components". No charge. Customer goodwill.

The ride is definitely less harsh now. I think they made the changes in early 2018, so probably is not relevant for your car. Some discussion here.

I went from 45 to 38 today on my psi. Will see if this makes the ride more comfortable. This isn't unsafe right?
The car will tell you if the pressure is too low via TPMS. I keep an eye on mine running 38. If the temps drop from when I set them at cold ambient I true them up. Having a portable battery powered air compressor in the frunk is more useful than I initially thought when I bought it!

Reactions: Dayreg
I just drove 350km today with 20’s set at 38 psi cold (temp was 1C). Tires reached 40 psi at 120 km/h. Much quieter ride and my consumption did not seem to be effected. I’m going through TeslaFi logs to compare other trips I did when temps were similar and psi was at 42. Overall I am happy with this change.

I have SR+ for a little over a week now and I too feel that the ride is a bit too firm and harsh. Right before getting SR+ I had been driving a BMW 330i rental car and I have to agree that the comfort drive mode on 330i is indeed very comfortable, silk smooth on various roads. I wish the SR+ can ride like that.

Of course, SR+ beats the 330i on many other things.

I just drove 350km today with 20’s set at 38 psi cold (temp was 1C). Tires reached 40 psi at 120 km/h. Much quieter ride and my consumption did not seem to be effected. I’m going through TeslaFi logs to compare other trips I did when temps were similar and psi was at 42. Overall I am happy with this change.

You're not implying TeslaFi records pressures of tires? Cause I'm not seeing any.

For those who want a Cadillac type ride drop the tire pressure way low like 30 or even 28psi cold. It also might be worth looking into if you can fit 16 or 17 inch wheels on the car and the run an even taller sidewall tire.

You should be careful below 40 and you will see increased consumption.

Every pound you drop will cost in consumption. There is nothing magic about 40 lbs.
Note also that as you lower the pressure your are lowering the load capacity of the tires.

Tesla sets the pressure not just for efficiency but for the load they expect and load is not based on just static weight of the car.

Every pound you drop will cost in consumption. There is nothing magic about 40 lbs.
Note also that as you lower the pressure your are lowering the load capacity of the tires.

Tesla sets the pressure not just for efficiency but for the load they expect and load is not based on just static weight of the car.
All true, however it’s important to note that Tesla has changed their tune over time. Initially they used 45 psi, now they dropped it to 42 psi. Running a few pounds lower is not a big deal if you are careful to ensure you manage it if outside ambient temperatures drop. I’ve been running 38-39 now for awhile and it’s been great for noise reduction and has not noticeably affected my efficiency. I would not go any lower than that however. I should also point out that I have wider tires than stock (245 front and 275 rear). With the stock 235’s I’d probably go with 39-40 psi for more comfort.

When I take the car to the track I drop them even lower to 35-36 psi cold (like most do on a track) as the tires heat up quickly to ideal temps. It’s a work of art in this case.

All true, however it’s important to note that Tesla has changed their tune over time. Initially they used 45 psi, now they dropped it to 42 psi. Running a few pounds lower is not a big deal if you are careful to ensure you manage it if outside ambient temperatures drop. I’ve been running 38-39 now for awhile and it’s been great for noise reduction and has not noticeably affected my efficiency. I would not go any lower than that however. I should also point out that I have wider tires than stock (245 front and 275 rear). With the stock 235’s I’d probably go with 39-40 psi for more comfort.

When I take the car to the track I drop them even lower to 35-36 psi cold (like most do on a track) as the tires heat up quickly to ideal temps. It’s a work of art in this case.

I thought that too. RWD Model 3 with 18" Aero's is still 45 psi. AWD 18" is 42 psi. I don't think it ever changed. I think folks might have got confused when AWD was introduced with 18" wheels at 42 lbs. And yeah Elon mentioned dropping them to 42 early on, but I don't think they changed any door tags.

I'm not saying 38 psi is too low or unsafe, I have no idea, I just wanted folks to know you are changing the load capacity of the tires when you lower the pressure.

I always try to stick with what the door tag says.

I got rid of my Model 3 partly due to its harsh ride. I love how Model X rides. No longer paranoid when approaching a speed bump ;)