Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quality of my P85D sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a ton of issues all in the first 4 months. It was delivered with a dent and a hood crease. Within 6 weeks it was leaking oil from the back end and required a new seal. The passenger side door handle was scratching against the window leaving tar on it as it rolled up. It has been in the paint shop twice as the try to get the paint right from delivery. The car has been at the service center for nearly 4 weeks in the first 4 months. That means it has been at the service center for 20% of it's life. VERY UNHAPPY.

What would you do?

I have had a ton of issues all in the first 4 months. It was delivered with a dent and a hood crease. Within 6 weeks it was leaking oil from the back end and required a new seal. The passenger side door handle was scratching against the window leaving tar on it as it rolled up. It has been in the paint shop twice as the try to get the paint right from delivery. The car has been at the service center for nearly 4 weeks in the first 4 months. That means it has been at the service center for 20% of it's life. VERY UNHAPPY.

What would you do?

I am sorry to hear about your issues. I have had mine for over 5 months now. No issues. Build quality is better than the P85+IMO. Personally, I would make your issues known to your DS/Service Center and 'cc' Jerome on it. TM does want you to be happy.

What would you do?

Difficult question. A leased Model S can be returned within 90 days under the 'happiness guarantee', but you are out of that window at 4 months, even if you did lease.

I would keep demanding that Tesla repair all problems. Once everything is repaired, give the car a few months shakedown. If it's not satisfactory after that, sell.

If it's in the shops for longer than 30 days (cumulative, not consecutive) in the first 1 year, 12k miles (whichever comes first) you can do a lemon law request. Not sure if you want to go this route though if you intend to keep driving a Tesla (and you may have to clarify if that 30 days still applies for multiple defects or only for single defect and whether stuff like paint defects are covered).

What would you do?

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. I've had my P85D now for 6 months and have had 0 issues. This is only the second car in 20 years I can say that about. Only time I've had to take it in to the service center was when my Next Gen seats arrived.

Given my experience vs. yours, I'd say the title of this thread is incorrectly broad and would be better stated as "The quality of my P85D sucks." Doesn't change the fact that you have been having a tough time and are legitimately upset. But I think you're painting with too broad a brush to infer it applies to all P85Ds.

So, what to do? I'd make sure you're getting full service from your service center - a valet should be bringing you a loaner each and every time you have a problem from here on out if they haven't been already, or what ever would be most convenient for you. That's what would keep me happy.

You haven't said it yet though - what would make you happy?

I would think going the lemon law route (if a valid claim) wouldn't prohibit you from buying another Tesla. The other guy who tried to do this went about it the wrong way.
I guess a lot of it rides on the owner's attitude and how Tesla responds, but I'm guessing by the time the owner gets through the arbitration process or through a lawsuit, most likely the owner would be weary of buying the same brand even if Tesla makes no prohibition. Obviously I'm hoping there is another better way to solve it, but the lemon law is always there as last resort (he just has to be wary of the time/mileage limit and conditions for making a claim).

And the other question is if his preference is to keep the car (and get some other compensation), get another new Tesla as replacement, or wash his hands completely of it (in which lemon law would apply).

Last edited:

What would you do?

I'd be upset.

Is the dent different from the hood crease? Is it a frunk closing dent/crease? Did you take delivery of it with the dent and crease and then notice it later, or did it occur later by the manner in which the frunk was closed? And does the paint problem result from fixing this dent or crease? That also seems to be a service issue rather than a quality issue with the car itself.

The seal and door handle will likely be easy to fix but having a new car repainted sucks.

I'd be upset.

The seal and door handle will likely be easy to fix but having a new car repainted sucks.

Is the dent different from the hood crease? Is it a frunk closing dent/crease? Did you take delivery of it with the dent and crease and then notice it later, or did it occur later by the manner in which the frunk was closed? And does the paint problem result from fixing this dent or crease? That also seems to be a service issue rather than a quality issue with the car itself.

The dent was in the driver front quarter panel. It was there at delivery and I did not see it in the dealership. The frunk crease was there on delivery but once again I did not see it until I got home. I picked up in raleigh and drove the charlotte. The Raleigh store is pretty dark but when I got home in the sun it was obvious. I emailed them immediately on the delivery day. The paint problem was bc the repair shop did a horrible job. They left scratches all over the hood. Scratched the passenger quarter panel and left a few dings on the bumper. I would never use the shop in raleigh again.

What would you do?

Very sorry to hear this. Mine has been with 0 issues since I took delivery two months ago.

I would try to work something out with Tesla. I don't think your chosen subject title for the thread, generalizing the quality issues with your car to apply to the P85D in general, is entirely fair though.

The dent was in the driver front quarter panel. It was there at delivery and I did not see it in the dealership. The frunk crease was there on delivery but once again I did not see it until I got home. I picked up in raleigh and drove the charlotte. The Raleigh store is pretty dark but when I got home in the sun it was obvious. I emailed them immediately on the delivery day. The paint problem was bc the repair shop did a horrible job. They left scratches all over the hood. Scratched the passenger quarter panel and left a few dings on the bumper. I would never use the shop in raleigh again.

Have your service work been done in Charlotte or Raleigh? From what you stated, it seems Raleigh at least did the initial repair attempt, but unsure if Charlotte did the rest.

My P+ was better (fit and finish) than my original P and the PD is much better than my P+.
I think the quality of YOUR PD sucks but really can not justify the all PD inference.
Two things I am reasonably confident of-
(1) Tesla cares about quality and service so I would elevate your conversations with the company until you find the right level and
(2) Tesla does have misses from time to time, especially with end of quarter deliveries in the past. It is entirely possible that you got one of these cars and you are absolutely entitled to getting the issues corrected to your satisfaction. You may want to temper your approach with threads like this as it has been my experience that you catch more flies with honey.

Good Luck and please let us know how Tesla responds.

(2) Tesla does have misses from time to time, especially with end of quarter deliveries in the past. ..
I took delivery of my P85D just after quarter end. I had numerous issues with my inventory car, every one of which had nothing to do with the car itself but much to do with overwhelmed staff dealing with high volumes for which they were not prepared. My first two weeks were very rocky because of that.
Now, six weeks in, all that is gone, service support has been excellent, but the issues have been transitional anyway, such as the NG seats that will be installed in ten days time. The car itself has been totally beyond my expectations.

I have had three glitches; one due to a setting that limited speed for TACC to 75 mph and vehicle to 79mph. I found that on a road trip, called service and they fixed the problem is a few moments. My second was a broken Lightning connector in my console, which The West Palm Beach service centre fixed on a Sunday morning while i was charging at their Supercharger. My third was problem with a CHAdeMO adapter, but as it turns out that was caused by the Nissan fast charger, not the Tesla adapter. Tesla replaced the CHAdeMO adapter and did a software update on the new one they supplied. It seems tesla is adapting to some of the CHAdeMO charger limitations via their own adapter.

Thus, I agree the title of the thread may leave a bit to be desired BUT, we all should expect that Tesla will do a much better job than do other manufacturers. They encourage us to take that view. Thus, the OP ought to have them climbing all over to make him happy. I had really trivial issues, and they really took care of me. They ought to do that for everyone.

@jbarioca,:Glad to hear you are enjoying your your new P85D and that your issues are getting sorted out.

You mentioned "a broken Lightning connector in my console". I assume you are referring to one of the two USB connecters in the face of the center console? I am not aware of any Apple Lightning connectors in the Model S.

@jbarioca,:Glad to hear you are enjoying your your new P85D and that your issues are getting sorted out.

You mentioned "a broken Lightning connector in my console". I assume you are referring to one of the two USB connecters in the face of the center console? I am not aware of any Apple Lightning connectors in the Model S.

I believe he means in the center console Tesla sells. It can be had with no adapter, a Lightning adapter, or a Mini USB adapter.

Cyclone has it correct. The Tesla center console converts one of the two USB ports to either Lightning or MiniUSB on none at buyer option. If you choose one of the two options you still can disconnect the converter plug at will. The console plugs are fixed to attach a smartphone standing vertically at an angle and are quite stiff, so can easily break. I find it useful. I'd post a photo if I had my car here with me. It's 4500 miles away at the moment.