Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quality of my P85D sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maddog (good handle btw),

Feel free to attack those that provide feedback on your post. Feeling out numbered by those that honestly post that they have had no problems combined with an aggressive attitude may impede your ability to have your issues addressed or even have the car replaced. Continue as you like but do try to take responsibility for your contribution to the end result.

You seem to feel free to question other's motives for responding which opens the door for a review of your performance. People, even SC employees, are human. Few respond well to having someone in their face.

maddog (good handle btw),

Feel free to attack those that provide feedback on your post. Feeling out numbered by those that honestly post that they have had no problems combined with an aggressive attitude may impede your ability to have your issues addressed or even have the car replaced. Continue as you like but do try to take responsibility for your contribution to the end result.

You seem to feel free to question other's motives for responding which opens the door for a review of your performance. People, even SC employees, are human. Few respond well to having someone in their face.

Thanks

I have not in anyway behaved in a non professional manner. I have been polite to all at the SC and corporate Telsa. I will give everyone feedback as the process goes forward. I have nothing negative to say about Elon so I will stay out of that. I hope the company does well (as a stcok holder) as I endorse their views on energy storage and EV's. This is just about my car and the damage it had on delivery.

I have not in anyway behaved in a non professional manner. ..I hope the company does well (as a stcok holder) as I endorse their views on energy storage and EV's. This is just about my car and the damage it had on delivery.
Well reasoned and moderate, considering your car. Partly because yours if nearly identically equipped with mine, although yours was built a couple of weeks later than mine, I have paid close attention to the thread.

There is no question that quality control and service delivery quality have suffered recently. In fact the shipping damage quite a few of us have had seems likely to be related to a fast pace of delivery with inadequate quality control. IMHO you have been engaging in consecutive criticism, nothing more. even were it so bad you'd choose a lemon law trigger, nothing will get corporate attention to quality control like such actions. As much as i love my car I was dismayed initially and nearly refused delivery, as I mentioned before. I am happy you are insistent.

In a strange way this seems to be much like French food service vs US food service. The French will typically refuse anything less than perfect, thus the food standard is very high. In the US people often accept mediocrity, so tend to get it. We, with Tesla, should demand excellence in every respect. That is the only way we will get excellence.

Some seem to be suggesting that it's Tesla's fault the car was damaged in transit. Was it on a Tesla owned truck? Railcar? Boat? Was the truck, train or boat operated by a Tesla employee? It's not entirely clear, but I think the majority of the time spent at the SC is to fix the damage in transit, not the other two? (only two were listed) minor issues.

One of my friends who purchased a Tesla after driving mine got a call from the service center shortly before his scheduled delivery. "His" car was on a transport and received hail damage in Texas. It was being off loaded and a Tesla certified shop was going to fix the damage (frunk and roof). My friend declined and I presume the car was put into the loaner/demo pool. Eight weeks later his replacement build showed up with zero damage.

I'm reasonably sure my friend is not French but perhaps I need to go back a few generations in his family tree :)

Some seem to be suggesting that it's Tesla's fault the car was damaged in transit. Was it on a Tesla owned truck? Railcar? Boat? Was the truck, train or boat operated by a Tesla employee? It's not entirely clear, but I think the majority of the time spent at the SC is to fix the damage in transit, not the other two? (only two were listed) minor issues.

I do not know where and when the damage occurred. I do not know if it was transport or at the factory. I took delivery in Raleigh and the building was not well lit. I learned a big lesson and that will never happen again. I would have refused delivery if I saw the damage prior to paying.

Nobody should receive a dented car upon delivery, and no owner should need to have their car repainted or visit a body shop due to delivery issues. That's completely unacceptable.

Agree. Tesla picked the transit company, it's their car until delivery. Expectation is that you receive the car you ordered, undamaged. If I want to buy a repaired car, I'll buy used.

However, I would make a distinction between issues associated with the manufacturing process (which is what the title of this thread implies) and damage caused during transit. Two different things. I wouldn't call transit damage 'poor quality'. I would call it Tesla's responsibility.

I have had a ton of issues all in the first 4 months. It was delivered with a dent and a hood crease. Within 6 weeks it was leaking oil from the back end and required a new seal. The passenger side door handle was scratching against the window leaving tar on it as it rolled up. It has been in the paint shop twice as the try to get the paint right from delivery. The car has been at the service center for nearly 4 weeks in the first 4 months. That means it has been at the service center for 20% of it's life. VERY UNHAPPY.

What would you do?
I would like a new car as I would like to have the same experience as EarlyAdopter. I love driving it, I just want a good quality vehicle. I don't want to be in the shop for 20% of the cars life. I am not sure how this lemon law works.
As others have said, escalate it up the chain and/or mail Jerome directly.

In the calmest, most polite manner you can muster (which is of course difficult given the vehicle problems observed in your post) say something like: "The vehicle I was delivered was not up to the quality I want and expect from Tesla, and have paid for. Given the track record of the vehicle, I think I should be offered a new vehicle as I don't want to permanently deal with the dark cloud that seems to be hovering over this particular vehicle. I want to have a new, working car and I want to be a happy customer. Please help me with this."

Sorry your P85D has been a nightmare. Hopefully Tesla will make it right for you -- soon*.

* Not "coming soon" soon but actually soon by the definition of a normal person not in the computer software or hardware industries.

Agree. Tesla picked the transit company, it's their car until delivery. Expectation is that you receive the car you ordered, undamaged. If I want to buy a repaired car, I'll buy used.

However, I would make a distinction between issues associated with the manufacturing process (which is what the title of this thread implies) and damage caused during transit. Two different things. I wouldn't call transit damage 'poor quality'. I would call it Tesla's responsibility.

Yeah, this is what I'm getting at. The title (now changed) and opening post suggest that P85D cars are poor quality, which isn't the case. Additionally there's an underlying suggestion that the car doesn't operate correctly. I'm not up on the whole Lemon Law thing, but whenever someone I've known has referred to it/used it it was for vehicles that don't function/have major components (transmission, engine and the like) breaking early on in ownership and along those lines. I'm under the impression here that the major time spent at the SC is due to fixing panel damage done in transit and matching factory paint, NOT because there's anything wrong with the functionality of the vehicle. I'm certainly not arguing that a customer doesn't have the right to refuse to take delivery because of this type of damage and all that. And I agree the ball is Tesla's to toss, whether that be a claim against the transit company or to eat it, and of course resolving the current issue hopefully to the OP's satisfaction.

I didn't intend to hijack the OP's thread, so this will be my final response to posts directed at what I said. If you want to discuss further, feel free to message me. Perhaps you don't remember the P85D reveal event, but I placed my order after it and in reliance on what was shown and promised. Next Gen seats (which took months after payment to receive), functional autopilot features, most of which are still not functional, increased range that is actually decreased range...Go back to the reveal event and see what was promised. It's a lot more than just an extra motor up front and a sensor suite.

Again, back to the OP's post and if you want to argue with me, message me.

If you don't want to argue, that is fine, but this thread is public and I prefer to discuss everything in the open so that all forum members can see the arguments presented.

First, I acknowledged the range issue. Tesla screwed that up pretty badly by not having the torque sleep software ready when the P85D shipped. I criticized them pretty heavily for that.

I wasn't able to watch the 'D' event live, but I did follow on Twitter and blogs. I think Ars Technica had a pretty accurate article on the party: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2014/10...-dual-motor-all-wheel-drive-model-s-variants/

The article says that Elon promised 275 miles of range for the P85D, and the final EPA rating now stands at 253 miles, although inexplicably, the P85D has noticeably higher MPGe ratings than the P85. The P85D is rated 89/98/93 combined, while the P85 was rated 88/90/89 combined. Note that Elon's statement of 275 miles for P85D is 3.8% higher than the 265 miles listed for the P85. The combined MPGe on the federal Monroney sticker is 4.5% higher on the P85D than the P85.

Second
, no specific timetable was given for Autopilot features. Note that I specifically stated in my post that the sensor suite would "enable future driver assist capabilities". If I had been buying a car right after the 'D' event, I would have had no reasonable expectation for when these software updates would be delivered.

I acknowledge that I forgot about the next-Generation seats and all the drama surrounding both the first and second row. Tesla messed this up and shouldn't get a pass on this either.

When it comes to the issue of value, it was pretty clear to me from the night of the P85D event that the P85D was actually an obviously terrible value for the money, and that early adopters would be paying a massive price premium for the privilege (or curse) of being the first to receive (a) new powertrain tech that was largely untested in the real world and (b) No promised timetable on the autopilot software. This is why I have little sympathy for the value argument. If you wanted value you should have bought a Honda, or at least waited for the 85D, which doesn't carry a ridiculous price markup.

It's an unfortunate reality that early adopters sometimes get a bad deal, and there is plenty of historical precedent for it. 1st generation Apple products almost always fail to live up to the hype or outright suck. Japanese buyers of the newest Honda Fit hybrid got a nice surprise when the new DCT transmission had issues and required a recall. Intel's Pentium had the infamous FDIV bug. Tesla is in this regard no different than other tech or auto companies in that stuff almost always happens with 1st generation new tech. Basically, new stuff generally has poor value proposition. People don't buy the Apple Watch for "value" (very low utility right now, based on almost every review I've read). If someone bought an Apple Watch and complained to me about value, I'd tell them exactly what I wrote about the P85D.

I think there's a lesson here. If the car isn't satisfactory, don't accept delivery. I think I would have waited until the hood was repaired to my satisfaction before I signed on the dotted line. That way if it isn't I can simply say, "no" and walk away. The other stuff, I would have been confident they could fix like new, but the body work, not so much.

Of course, that's easy to say when the car of your dreams isn't sitting right there in front of you...

I'm picking up my P85D in Raleigh next week and this thread has me pretty much ******** on myself.

Anyway, maddog you have EVERY RIGHT to feel the way you do. You are the consumer and it doesn't matter if you bought a $125k car or a $0.99 pack of gum. Tesla (and other progressive companies) need our feedback to improve. Some of them see it as a blessing (I'm hoping Tesla is in that category, despite my DS being terrible), and some of them see it as an annoyance. Stick with this - someone over there cares about this issue.