Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quest for wider wheels and tires, 295, 305 and beyond...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is all the people who rip. ❤️
We like em thick :cool:

IMG_1098.jpg

@TacoSteve - What use case brought you to the Nexen Sur4G's? AutoX, Road Course, or Street? Not a common tire to hear about.
My use is Road Course, which from what I've heard from others is probably the only feasible use other than a drifting. They take a fair bit longer to heat up than A052's or RE71's, but they are 2/3rd's the price and almost as fast. Getting them up to temperature before getting power cut is a challenge though, At least at Buttonwillow.

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
Interesting- from what I can find in 275/35R19 (the widest they make) they are more than AO52's (and unobtanium as well), but tire prices vs size is all over the place if you aren't running that exact size.

Thanks for the other info!
They certainly are hard to find, but these are 275/40R18's. Not sure if it's more available than the 19's. I bought two sets when I they came in stock.

For what it is worth, I was not happy with rt 660s in 275 on a 19x9.5 wheel. I previously ran REs in 265 on the same wheels. The RTs needed way more pressure, like 40 psi and still were heavy on the shoulders at the same camber (-2.4) in the front. Maxed out on the original mpp arms.
Perhaps a 265 would have less tread or sidewall squirm and present a better shape for the same camber angle?

For what it is worth, I was not happy with rt 660s in 275 on a 19x9.5 wheel. I previously ran REs in 265 on the same wheels. The RTs needed way more pressure, like 40 psi and still were heavy on the shoulders at the same camber (-2.4) in the front. Maxed out on the original mpp arms.
Perhaps a 265 would have less tread or sidewall squirm and present a better shape for the same camber angle?

That's discouraging. Unfortunately I don't see another viable 200tw option for AutoX use, damn Bridgestone.

Reactions: tm1v2
Just seeking info from you guys that have fitted wider wheels. How wide can you go before it becomes a problem for daily driving? 18x10 +30?

To daily drive ide guess and say less then say -1 to -1.5 deg camber front and rear.

I know it depends on what model LR or Perf but does that differ much?

What are they, do you know?
I think it somewhere around a +20, with 18's there is some grinding needed on the upright to clear the inner barrel. And you'll need somewhere around -3 degrees of camber, but this all depends on the tire. You may also have to roll fenders. Like @MasterC17, this makes no sense for a daily driver. 9.5" is plenty for street use.

Reactions: MasterC17
To pile on- 10"+ wheels on a daily driver is a massive tradeoff of efficiency. I already use almost double the rated energy in my car running 265's (some of this is how I drive of course). I can't imagine how you'd have to drive on the street to take advantage of this extra tire.

To add useful information to the discussing- just talking about wheels is kinda pointless. You can make any wheel fit with the right offset, it's just math. For every half an inch of width beyond 10" you need to add 6mm of offset.

But the assumption is that you're going to run tires that are the right size for those wheels, and it's the tire that will rub the control arm or the fender. But this may not be the same issue if you are going for some aesthetic purpose instead of performance, and are running very stretched tires. But a 10" wheel is generically talking about ~285+ section width tires, which are getting very tight and need careful fitment down to the exact tire model.

@BadassBob If you are actually looking for a track-able setup that you can also daily drive, ask that question, but if you are seriously looking at something that is just for the street, more information is needed as to why you want such a wide wheel (and assumed tire). Remember that in a Model 3, wider tires don't make the car any faster in a straight line on pavement.

Reactions: buckets0fun
To pile on- 10"+ wheels on a daily driver is a massive tradeoff of efficiency. I already use almost double the rated energy in my car running 265's (some of this is how I drive of course). I can't imagine how you'd have to drive on the street to take advantage of this extra tire.

To add useful information to the discussing- just talking about wheels is kinda pointless. You can make any wheel fit with the right offset, it's just math. For every half an inch of width beyond 10" you need to add 6mm of offset.

But the assumption is that you're going to run tires that are the right size for those wheels, and it's the tire that will rub the control arm or the fender. But this may not be the same issue if you are going for some aesthetic purpose instead of performance, and are running very stretched tires. But a 10" wheel is generically talking about ~285+ section width tires, which are getting very tight and need careful fitment down to the exact tire model.

@BadassBob If you are actually looking for a track-able setup that you can also daily drive, ask that question, but if you are seriously looking at something that is just for the street, more information is needed as to why you want such a wide wheel (and assumed tire). Remember that in a Model 3, wider tires don't make the car any faster in a straight line on pavement.
So the questions stems from just wondering if you could daily an 18x10 square with 285s just for looks. Will it get tracked.... probably not.

I know its a really wide wheel for DD, i know. Below is what i would like it to look like.

Could you achieve this with look with 18x9.5 +30 or would you need staggered offsets to get it flush front and back?

Attachments

• AF10 Tesla Corsa 20-5246.jpg
    AF10 Tesla Corsa 20-5246.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 280