Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quest for wider wheels and tires, 295, 305 and beyond...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely too tight. Hard cornering will deflect/deform the tire right into the spindle.
Oh, it'll be fine. I'm running a bit tighter.

PXL_20220504_163524768.MP.jpg
PXL_20220507_175834208.MP.jpg
PXL_20220507_182215090.MP.jpg

Went and got myself some Apex wheels on Black Friday sale 18x9.5

Now I need some tires.... any recommendations?
Car: 2022 3DP, stock everything, with the 3DP big brakes
Wheels: 18x9.5 35mm offset, I wasn't planning to run spacers
Use: daily. I want more sidewall (tired of flattening expensive Michelins and breaking expensive wheels). With my commute, I don't really need to worry about range, and i like a bit of "spirited" driving, so something grippier, but I don't need a full-on track tire. I live in NC, so snow isn't a concern (that's what the truck is for! LOL). I was looking at ~300TW tires, but I can be swayed to get some 200s XD

What size/ brand tire is recommended? I'm looking at the Conti EXTREMECONTACT SPORT 02 in 265/40/18, but maybe I could go bigger? Would a 275/40/18 fit without rubbing?

Related: do I need some spacers?

TIA

Went and got myself some Apex wheels on Black Friday sale 18x9.5

Now I need some tires.... any recommendations?
Car: 2022 3DP, stock everything, with the 3DP big brakes
Wheels: 18x9.5 35mm offset, I wasn't planning to run spacers
Use: daily. I want more sidewall (tired of flattening expensive Michelins and breaking expensive wheels). With my commute, I don't really need to worry about range, and i like a bit of "spirited" driving, so something grippier, but I don't need a full-on track tire. I live in NC, so snow isn't a concern (that's what the truck is for! LOL). I was looking at ~300TW tires, but I can be swayed to get some 200s XD

What size/ brand tire is recommended? I'm looking at the Conti EXTREMECONTACT SPORT 02 in 265/40/18, but maybe I could go bigger? Would a 275/40/18 fit without rubbing?

Related: do I need some spacers?

TIA

Hankook RS4 - 265/40/18

They're grippy with good wet traction, and the tire actually last! Been running these tires for several warm seasons now with excellent treadwear.
Excellent dry and wet grip.
4183DC74-E994-416E-8501-AD98FBB4ED50.jpeg

5mm slip-on spacers wouldn't hurt: Performance Hub Stepped Lip Delete Kit

BTW, APEX Black Friday sale ends 11/28.

Feel free to message us if you have any questions!

Danny

If you don't need snow, I feel like any tire except a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the wrong call for a street car. Amazing wear, incredible grip in all conditions, zero warm up time.
Anything else is only appropriate if you are actually chasing hundredths and are willing to give up a lot.
I often AutoX my MPS4's in the morning and Hoosiers in the afternoon, and I'll only give up about 1.5 seconds on a 60 second lap.

A 275 is super tight on a +35 wheel and stock camber. They don't all fit. But it also doesn't matter, because a 275 on a 9.5" wheel is likely slower than a 265:

If I may make a counterpoint, a 2850lb, 228hp (only at 7000rpm), 184lb-ft (only at 3700) RWD car isn't exactly comparable to the monsters that Tesla model 3's are in comparison (4000lbs, 500+hp/700+ftlbs AWD).

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that test is so dissimilar, I don't find it convincing.

Hankook RS4 - 265/40/18

They're grippy with good wet traction, and the tire actually last! Been running these tires for several warm seasons now with excellent treadwear.
Excellent dry and wet grip.
View attachment 877655

5mm slip-on spacers wouldn't hurt: Performance Hub Stepped Lip Delete

Feel free to message us if you have any questions!

Danny
Hmmm. Rs4 is an excellent tire, but it's only SL load range, 1600lb max load. Still cool for daily driving a tesla? Also that pic- is that a 265 on a 9.5" wheel?
If you don't need snow, I feel like any tire except a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the wrong call for a street car. Amazing wear, incredible grip in all conditions, zero warm up time.
Anything else is only appropriate if you are actually chasing hundredths and are willing to give up a lot.
I often AutoX my MPS4's in the morning and Hoosiers in the afternoon, and I'll only give up about 1.5 seconds on a 60 second lap.

A 275 is super tight on a +35 wheel and stock camber. They don't all fit. But it also doesn't matter, because a 275 on a 9.5" wheel is likely slower than a 265:

Hmmm that's a good note. I don't want to chase 10ths, but also Michelins are expensive! I've had to replace 4 of them on my stock 20s (#baller). I haven't actually worn through any of them in 2 years of ownership.

Going for 275s would really be to get a little more "meat" over the edge of the rim. I also wonder if our chonky bois might benefit from squeezing a fatter tire on the rim, giving a slightly rounder profile.

Regardless, it sounds like 265 is a better known option and if model+ photo is a 265, that seems like plenty of meat to buffer my precious precious rings... Er rims.
:)

Reactions: Lindenwood
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that test is so dissimilar, I don't find it convincing.
Their only point was that wider is not always better. If it was, it would be true on every car they tested. Yet the very first car they tested showed a too-wide tire on a rim to be slower that the smaller tire.

What makes you think a too-wide tire would be faster on a Tesla but not on a great handling car like a BRZ?

Their only point was that wider is not always better. If it was, it would be true on every car they tested. Yet the very first car they tested showed a too-wide tire on a rim to be slower that the smaller tire.

What makes you think a too-wide tire would be faster on a Tesla but not on a great handling car like a BRZ?
Model 3 and BRZ couldn’t be more different. BRZ is a lightweight, power-limited car. Model 3 is a heavier, high power/torque car. In other words, the Model 3 is more tire-limited than the BRZ for a given tire width due to the fact that it’s heavier and has much more power.

A 275 on a +35 wheel with stock suspension can also get sliced by the fender on a bad enough bump while turning.
Technically, the above link is about a 265-wide tire on +30 9.0-wide wheel, but it should be very similar in terms of clearances.

The RS4s (after they wear a bit) are quite loud to daily drive. I'd get the PS4S, or, maybe the Conti ExtremeContact Sports.

Model 3 and BRZ couldn’t be more different. BRZ is a lightweight, power-limited car. Model 3 is a heavier, high power/torque car. In other words, the Model 3 is more tire-limited than the BRZ for a given tire width due to the fact that it’s heavier and has much more power.
So?
The Tire Rack test shows that a wider tire on the same sized wheel can start to reduce performance. Can you explain why this would make the BRZ slower and the Tesla faster, given you said the Tesla is MORE sensitive to tires? We're not discussing wider tires overall. We're discussing wider tires placed on the same sized rim, which is what the TR test showed. Not just wider tires period.

I've personally found the Model 3 to be highly insensitive to tires. It gets so much performance from acceleration vs turning, and it's not traction limited in a straight line. Just this weekend I only ran 0.8 seconds different on MP4S's vs Hoosiers.

So?
The Tire Rack test shows that a wider tire on the same sized wheel can start to reduce performance. Can you explain why this would make the BRZ slower and the Tesla faster, given you said the Tesla is MORE sensitive to tires? We're not discussing wider tires overall. We're discussing wider tires placed on the same sized rim, which is what the TR test showed. Not just wider tires period.

I've personally found the Model 3 to be highly insensitive to tires. It gets so much performance from acceleration vs turning, and it's not traction limited in a straight line. Just this weekend I only ran 0.8 seconds different on MP4S's vs Hoosiers.
Tesla stock size tire requires you to use pressure that is suboptimal for the grip on any performance rubber (it's usually ~30 psi). On top of that you overheat stock size tires much faster on Tesla.

With BRZ you're not getting any advantage going wider, because you pressure goes suboptimal and tire friction loss eats your power that you don't have much in the first place.

With BRZ you're not getting any advantage going wider, because you pressure goes suboptimal and tire friction loss eats your power that you don't have much in the first place.
Except the Tire Rack tests showed that a BRZ DOES get faster with wider tires.
What it doesn't do is just get faster with wider tires. It only gets faster if it's on wider wheels too.
I kinda feel like people didn't read the Tire Rack Test, and are just arguing here as if wider tires are always better, when the TR test point was to show that the tire/wheel combo is important, not just the tire width, as well as the point that there is such a thing as too much tire.

When a 215 on a 9 is the same as a 245 on a 8, and a 225 on a 9 is faster than a 245, you have to ask how sure we are that a 275 on a 9.5 will be faster than a 265 on the same wheel.

1669406821504.png

Except the Tire Rack tests showed that a BRZ DOES get faster with wider tires.
What it doesn't do is just get faster with wider tires. It only gets faster if it's on wider wheels too.
I kinda feel like people didn't read the Tire Rack Test, and are just arguing here as if wider tires are always better, when the TR test point was to show that the tire/wheel combo is important, not just the tire width, as well as the point that there is such a thing as too much tire.

When a 215 on a 9 is the same as a 245 on a 8, and a 225 on a 9 is faster than a 245, you have to ask how sure we are that a 275 on a 9.5 will be faster than a 265 on the same wheel.

View attachment 878188
Yeah, I didn't read your post carefully.

Well, I'm getting tires overheating more than anything else. So I don't think that 265 is better for me on the same 9.5 than 275. Also, I prefer some curb protection...

We have a TE37 in 19x9.5 +28 / 19x10.5 +31 for anyone who wants to mount 265/275 front + 295/305 rears. :)
These are true P&P spec with no hub rings or spacers necessary.

Message if interested.

Danny

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MasterC17