Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The recent price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to give ChatGPT the option to weigh in. TBH it does about as good as the rest of our new members.

Prompt: Write a Tesla Motors Club forum post complaining about recent price decreases.

Recently, Tesla Motors announced that they are lowering the prices of their cars. I'm incredibly disappointed with this decision and feel the company is devaluing their products. As an owner of a Tesla, I think that this could potentially hurt the resale value of my car. Furthermore, I think it sends the wrong message to potential customers about the quality of Tesla cars. It looks like Tesla is trying to compete with other electric car companies on price, but I think this will have a negative impact on the brand. I think Tesla should focus on making their cars better, not cheaper.

Prompt: Write a hysterical Tesla Motors Club forum post complaining about recent price decreases.

I can't believe it! Tesla Motors has decided to lower the prices of their cars, and I'm not happy about it. Are they crazy?! I feel like this decision is totally devaluing my car and all the Tesla's out there. I mean, what kind of message does this send to potential customers? That our cars are worth less than other electric models? It's like Tesla is trying to compete with the other electric car companies on price, but it's not going to end well for them. They should be focused on making their cars better, not cheaper. This is a total disaster!

"The IONIQ 5 on the other hand is far better built than Teslas, quieter, way better tolerance levels, rigid, safe, among the best UI in and above its price range, top tier safety suite and drivers assistance, 800v architecture, attention to detail and practicality etc... There's a reason the IONIQ 5 has Won multiple Awards around the World."

Except the Ioniq 5 is hideous.

It will be very interesting to see what happens when Tesla get some real competition.

Maybe to you, but you do understand that there are people who think that way about Teslas too right?

A white Model Y looks like an egg, which is hideous to others. At least the IONIQ 5 is unique with the retro vibe that is different and refreshing. It's not my cup of tea, but at the same time when you're not a tesla fan boy you can acknowledge nice things. Kids...

Tesla already has real competition, but you're obviously too big of a tesla fan boy to realize that.
At the current Model Y Prices, anyone that recommends an Ioniq 5 over a MY is either a Hyundai fan or oblivious.

Elon would be proud. That's exactly what he would want people to think. Genius. Let the tesla fan boy club be with you. Hurrayy..
You can take some glamour shots while you’re waiting for the electrify America station to empty out when the line is 6 deep. 👍

You can also wait in line at tesla charging stations in some areas to charge up as well. The difference is when you take your glamour shots, you'd have to write on your windshield to differentiate your tesla to others, because they all look the same. Har har funny...

But, on a serious note I did have to wait in line at tesla charging stations more times than I can count. Lucky for those in less populated areas outside the big cities where they don't have to deal with that.

The infrastructure overall needs to scale up fast, because the amount of EVs on the road today is miniscule to what we're going to see in the coming years.

Maybe to you, but you do understand that there are people who think that way about Teslas too right?

A white Model Y looks like an egg, which is hideous to others. At least the IONIQ 5 is unique with the retro vibe that is different and refreshing. It's not my cup of tea, but at the same time when you're not a tesla fan boy you can acknowledge nice things. Kids...

Tesla already has real competition, but you're obviously too big of a tesla fan boy to realize that.
Oh, I could give two shits about the look. And fanboys are cringe, I couldn't imagine being loyal to a company whose only recollection of you is your money. I actually think the Ioniq 5 is more polarizing than a Model Y, and agree the Y looks like an egg. The pixel style lights on the Ioniq 5 are really cool.

But I'm talking about straight vehicle performance to price comparison. With Tesla's experience in battery architecture, supercharging network, tech, safety and overall vehicle performance, it's miles ahead of the Ioniq 5.

It seems like you only care about the looks of the car. I guess that's the only redeeming quality of the Ioniq.

Last edited:
I am in complete agreement with you. I was in the same boat four months ago with the purchase of the MYP. There should have been some compensation for those who are out of luck for the rebate or incentives. If TESLA want the loyal customers to buy another vehicle after this, they have another ting coming. At least give us free supercharging!
The sad thing is they (tesla) know that they can get away with it with the fan boys that they have lurking at their feet. As you can see it is very apparent that there are people who sold their souls to tesla to where nothing could detract them from seeing the obvious. Elon knows this. The herd of tesla sheep will always be there, but the smart ones will be smart enough to jump ship when the time comes.

To be fair, if tesla does come out with a better product then fair game, but at this rate with cost cutting and all the theatrics, they're going to lose a lot of respect that will tarnish the loyalty among a good chunk of people.

The majority of the people that are barking here with a tesla tattoo on their forehead don't represent the majority of sound minded tesla owners.

There are a lot who are in denial as well. I'm sure some folks here are heavy into TSLA and thought it was going to the moon riding that hard core fan boy news at the time only to be upside down now LOL. They have no choice but to be defensive or else they'll look stupid. It's a natural cover up to not look like an idiot.

Sigh human nature...

Last edited:
Oh, I could give two shits about the look. I actually think the Ioniq 5 is more polarizing than a Model Y, and agree the Y looks like an egg. The pixel style lights on the Ioniq 5 are really cool.

But I'm talking about straight vehicle performance to price comparison. With Tesla's experience in battery architecture, supercharging network, tech, safety and overall vehicle performance, it's miles ahead of the Ioniq 5.

But it seems like you only care about the looks of the car. Looks are opinion based afterall.

Actually I don't care just about the looks, but of course it is important. In regard to vehicle performance to price comparison, not all EVs are made to serve that purpose of just all out performance. That's why there are options like the Long Range, Performance etc...
In terms of the IONIQ 5 they have only released the SE, SEL and Limited, so if you were looking only for performance, obviously something like the M3P in that range would be the right pick. The IONIQ 5 N has yet to release, which is their performance variant like the M3P is to the M3 line up.

The KIA EV6 GT, their performance line, just launched and it's faster than the M3P and has better top end pull as well. Keep in mind that the EV6 is more of a CUV'ish car like in the MY class, yet it's quicker than the M3P that's a sedan.

I agree that tesla's strength are in the areas of battery architecture, charging network (which I've mentioned already), tech, safety etc.., however it isn't really miles ahead of the IONIQ 5. The i5 also receives a Top Safety Pick Plus. It's tech is right up there with Mercedes safety suite which is among the best in the industry.

For the average EV owner, they'll do most of their charging at home, like we all typically do. Ok, so what about for those that travel long distances? True, tesla clearly has the superior charging network, but arguably when it comes to CCS here in the States and abroad, it's not like there's only EA and nothing else. There are in fact several CCS charging options that outweigh the options of a single tesla charger in many areas. Take a look yourself sometime. You can use an app like ChargeHub to view a map. Yea yea I get it... diesel gate, broken EA stations etc... but if referring to just EA alone they've been updating their stations across the country.

So going back to the IONIQ 5, it has a superior 800v architecture and charges much faster than our teslas. As you know teslas get nowhere near the range stated on paper and even worse in cold conditions. So no, it's not miles better in that regard which is only one example out of many.

To each their own. I'm just all for advancing as quickly as we can to EV adoption to get rid of transportation options that aren't as efficient. The thing is, it's going to take a lot more than just tesla to achieve that so we can use all the help that we can get.

Actually I don't care just about the looks, but of course it is important. In regard to vehicle performance to price comparison, not all EVs are made to serve that purpose of just all out performance. That's why there are options like the Long Range, Performance etc...
In terms of the IONIQ 5 they have only released the SE, SEL and Limited, so if you were looking only for performance, obviously something like the M3P in that range would be the right pick. The IONIQ 5 N has yet to release, which is their performance variant like the M3P is to the M3 line up.

The KIA EV6 GT, their performance line, just launched and it's faster than the M3P and has better top end pull as well. Keep in mind that the EV6 is more of a CUV'ish car like in the MY class, yet it's quicker than the M3P that's a sedan.

I agree that tesla's strength are in the areas of battery architecture, charging network (which I've mentioned already), tech, safety etc.., however it isn't really miles ahead of the IONIQ 5. The i5 also receives a Top Safety Pick Plus. It's tech is right up there with Mercedes safety suite which is among the best in the industry.

For the average EV owner, they'll do most of their charging at home, like we all typically do. Ok, so what about for those that travel long distances? True, tesla clearly has the superior charging network, but arguably when it comes to CCS here in the States and abroad, it's not like there's only EA and nothing else. There are in fact several CCS charging options that outweigh the options of a single tesla charger in many areas. Take a look yourself sometime. You can use an app like ChargeHub to view a map. Yea yea I get it... diesel gate, broken EA stations etc... but if referring to just EA alone they've been updating their stations across the country.

So going back to the IONIQ 5, it has a superior 800v architecture and charges much faster than our teslas. So no, it's not miles better in that regard which is only one example out of many.

To each their own. I'm just all for advancing as quickly as we can to EV adoption to get rid of transportation options that aren't as efficient. The thing is, it's going to take a lot more than just tesla to achieve that so we can use all the help that we can get.
Kia knocked it out of the park with the EV6 and so did Hyundai with the Ioniq 5.

Yes, a week ago I would've said that these vehicles would be better buys than a Model Y. But now with the Model Y LR now available for $45.5k with the tax credit, it'd be dumb to pick any other EV in the same class.

Kia knocked it out of the park with the EV6 and so did Hyundai with the Ioniq 5.

Yes, a week ago I would've said that these vehicles would be better buys than a Model Y. But now with the Model Y LR now available for $45.5k with the tax credit, it'd be dumb to pick any other EV in the same class.

That EV6 GT is pretty incredible. It already clocked in 2.99 sec without roll out from 0-100kmh (~62 mph), which is insane. I'm really excited to see this up against a M3P on the track, especially the Nurgburgring. I think the M3P clocked in 7:44, which is quite incredible, but if the EV6 can match that or even top that being a CUV that'll be pretty sweet to see.

I definitely agree about the logical buy at this moment in time. There's no denying that, which is why it was a brilliant plan to gobble up all the potential EV buyers to retain market share that would otherwise have bought something else. BUT at the cost of short, mid and long term consequences of course. Nothing short of a chess game lol.

Reactions: YNoVA
I feel that the customer satisfaction is not too much estimated in Tesla and their will to have the model Y as most sold car in 2023 I am afraid will drive to this direction further than now.

Here in Italy I purchased a model 3 standard in 2020. On august 2022 I realized that the Y RWD would be sold at 49k and had my model 3 estimated by Tesla for 47k.
I placed the order, even if I knew it was too strange and probably some adjustiment would happen.
2 months later, my model 3 evaluation droppedd to 34k so I was put by Tesla in great difficulty.
Many owners did the same and got the same exact threatment by Tesla and the social were full of complaints.
I decided to sell it personally cause I wanted the Y and I could close at 42k, but still 5k less than the original offer.

Now that I have the Y RWD, paid 50k while the LR was on 67k, the price dropped to 47 and LR to 54. I would have purchased the LR now.
it's the market they say", but this means that I lost a chance but also that when I will decide to sell my Y RWD in the future, the presence of the Y LR so close in the listings, will make the evaluation of my car drop significantly.

If I consider that I am still waiting for the Tesla Vision as now the ultrasonic sensors have been removed from the cars, I cannot say I am happy as customer.
I expect the Tesla Vision update to be released ASAP and it would be very nice if Tesla offered something to the customers who saw their car cost being dropped, something like some Supercharger credit, or discounted autopilot offers or temporary activation like 6 months or 1 year... (this would lead to purchases maybe).

• Informative
Reactions: Elektrick

Elon would be proud. That's exactly what he would want people to think. Genius. Let the tesla fan boy club be with you. Hurrayy..

You can also wait in line at tesla charging stations in some areas to charge up as well. The difference is when you take your glamour shots, you'd have to write on your windshield to differentiate your tesla to others, because they all look the same. Har har funny...

But, on a serious note I did have to wait in line at tesla charging stations more times than I can count. Lucky for those in less populated areas outside the big cities where they don't have to deal with that.

The infrastructure overall needs to scale up fast, because the amount of EVs on the road today is miniscule to what we're going to see in the coming years.
Sir, LOL, if you read some of my forum posts you will see I am definitively not a Tesla fan boi.

I just genuinely think the Ioniq 5 is hideous. I get the CyberPunk 2077 vibe, and okay, fine, it's different... but then it looks tiny and too low. Like a teenager who lowered their 2001 civic hatchback to within an inch of it's life.

I do think the Ioniq 6 is gorgeous. Reminds me of the sleek beauty and excitement when I saw the first Mercedes CLA concept ~10 years ago.

My advice to everyone affected: take the hit, accept it (it’s tough but I’m very slowly and angrily getting there), don’t expect anything from them , and never buy from them again since you never know when they’ll screw you again without recourse and don’t understand how to treat customers.
Or don’t sell your car anytime soon and you don’t have to worry about. If you drive it to 100k miles or more and then sell / trade it these near term price fluctuations likely won’t matter to you.

Reactions: advertisingfre
That's not true. There are cases like @YNoVA that are riding on thin ice due to the extreme price drops that tanked the value across the board. So yes, it is a loss in the form of value and leaving a lot of people in a situation that tesla brought onto them. It doesn't matter whether you plan to sell your tesla or keep it, the hit is the same and there is pain in both situations.

This isn't some normal or natural rate of depreciation going on here. Like I said it was a sucker punk in the gut for you, me and everyone else. Whether people can admit to that or not is on them, but the fact is that we all did lose some serious value.
A situation TESLA brought onto them? Sorry, but unless you can show that someone was compelled against their will to purchase a car this is simply an example of free trade. Tesla sold a product at a price it agreed to, and customers bought at a price they agreed to. Prices rise and fall, period, and both parties have to simply deal with it. It’s part of life as an adult.

And before anyone says “easy for you to say” I bought my Model 3 in Oct 2018. Go look at what happened to prices since I bought. And the car has gotten significantly better since then. I was happy with what I paid at the time and have loved driving this car every day since then.

Yes. The vehicle is an absolute lemon. And Tesla lied to me and used promises of software fixes and free supercharging miles to trick me past the lemon law dates.

They are an abusive, lying company and I want nothing more to do with them. I want them to take this crap back and give me a refund. I am not goigmng to finance their mistakes. The leaks gave come out..m we know they are worming on new radar systems and cameras to replace the ones on the car.

They lied. They lied. And they not only lied, they overcharged me and have stuck me with this Lemon or huge losses because they're racing to the bottom against Chinese companies.

How do they get to do this to my family and my business? I referred 21 people back in the early days. We've owned 5 Tesla, for crying out loud! My pop visited the gigafactory and saw the unveiling of the Model 3 years ago!

I am livid. Sick. And trapped. Why? What good comes of passion off loyalists? What good comes from forcing losses upon your customers? I mean, ****. I mind as well sell this Tesla stock... Tesla is just nothing but loss and after loss after loss for my family. And they're gonna stick me with this POS lemon of a car.

But sure, keep laughing all the way to the bank. I'm not laughing yall!
So sell the car, take the loss and move into something that isnt a "death trap" for the sake of your family?
Life throws obstacles and variables at everyone. You can either do something about it (within your control) or cry about it and blame someone else while not getting any outcome out of it. You choose where your time and energy is best spent.

My time and energy will be best spent making sure Elon Musk sees not a penny of profit from this scheme.

I am not taking this loss on behalf of Tesla. They lied to me. They falsely advertised an unsafe product. This is not my loss. This was a scam run by Tesla and they will take this POS back or they will shove it down my throat and I will regurgitate vomit and crap back onto their company every single day of the warranty.

And for the f***s who misgendered me - grow TF up. Some of us work for a living and dont make TESLA money wherein we can just eat 10,000's of dollars in a loss because a massive corporation lied and saddl3e me with their mistakes.

You all can laugh and laugh, but I'm not laughing. If they don't take this car back, Tesla has made an enemy. A real and true enemy who will be fully angered with every car payment because I should OWN my car... but as it is, I can sell it abd pay back Wells Fargo and just... lose years of work paying off my last Tesla and not be able to afford a Luxury car for work.

Most of my money comes from Tips offering really good service and a nice ride. I have thousands more invested in aftermarket parts to make my Model 3 into a luxury experience. But that car does not function right and they can't fix it!

Why should this be my loss? Why should.my business be setback years like this because Tesla lied? It shouldn't. They should take this POS back.

For every person saying, "oh just sell it," how I wish to have money like you!

How I wish to be able to just... write off losses like this. This will ruin me. This has already set my back immensely. And if Tesla beli3ves in their products so much, they can take this car back and sell it to someone else who will love it.

Me? I am just screwed. I either have to drive this car without any of the notices and no adaptive cruise control because Elon lied and have a less safe car... or I can sell and take massive losses. None of this is OK.

I sold my Model S for this! I am not going to be OK from any of Tesla's lies. You can call it hysterics... I call it I need to get back out on the road. I call it I was supposed to get my car fixed but instead they bottomed out the MSRP and trapped me in this POS or ruined me and my business. This *crap isn't funny. It also isn't funny that Tesla legal is dragging their feet because every day is Money.

I think a big problem is that people stretched to purchase a Tesla, either, but because they thought it would help out with the environment, or they bought Tesla’s marketing spin. Elon promoted for years that a Tesla is an investment you would be crazy not to purchase it because you can make $30,000 a year from It.
The truth is, it is a rapidly depreciating asset, not an investment. I believe it willdepreciate even more as an asset than a ICE car. Even Tesla claims it was mainly computers and batteries. Computers and batteries have never held value or appreciated. This is made even worse from the fact that Tesla provides terrible proprietary service. There are no third-party companies selling batteries or remanufacturing batteries for your Tesla.

some other thoughts

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Valid. I will be today. But I can't even get a formal response from Tesla. Everyone is just confused and has no idea what to do and no one can give me the phone number or put me in Touch with Tesla Corporate.

So I intend to be as loud as possible in every possible forum until they can pick up the phone and call me back. I have not stopped raging and I will not for years. Not so long as my money and my business is fubar'd by the richest man in the world as he laughs all the way to the bank.

They can give me a refund and they can be fine - I cannot keep this vehicle and be OK. If Tesla is in the business of destroying people, then they will have to contend with the collateral damage. I will live in their Showroom. I will talk to every owner about the blind spot on the front of the Model 3. I will tell each one about the ghosting and random accel and deceleration. I will tell them I don't trust the vehicle and they shouldn't trust these vehicles with their lives or the lives of their loved ones. Not at night. I will tell them Tesla is working on new hardware but isn't owning their mistakes publicly yet and they should wait until the cars are safe.

They won't prosper from selling unsafe lies and screwing over their loyal customers. They wont.

Reactions: tonyz1
Status
Not open for further replies.