Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The recent price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A fair price is what people are willing to pay for the product at the time. Look at the housing market. Houses can change value by 100k or more over the course of 30 days. Do they go asking the seller for a rebate after? No at the time you thought it was a fair price. Also as per Tesla/Elon the prices are based on anticipated cost of materials, labor, etc when your car will be built and you guessed it....demand. Since demand has dropped the profit/vehicle will go down but supply and demand is a fundamental of capitalism. Welcome to your economics lesson in real life. If you think a price is inflated at a time wait and see what happens before committing.
This is why it gets tricky. You do have a valid point. The issue here with getting the rug pulled from under all of our feet is more unique to the examples given. I get what you're saying, but at the same time there is a greater point here. - We've all been sucker punched, lost a ton of value over night, shafted, slapped in the face as customers who own a Tesla. There's a little more principle at play here than the typical circus in economics.
Not everyone - many more people are ecstatic and snapping up Tesla's at a record rate I expect. As someone else mentioned on another thread, capitalism is great until you're on the wrong end.
And many of those can be the uninformed who just sees a good deal and doesn't know much about cars aside to the badge or buying into the hype. There will always be different motivations for jumping on a good deal.
I can see that scenario playing out. But if this scenario puts you in any sort of financial bind, then perhaps people that could be in that situation should not be purchasing a $70k vehicle....its a luxury/toy....not a necessity.
True. Can't argue that. On the flip side, it still sucks when you get shafted by an extreme move like this by Tesla. Again, this is abnormal and that's what most of the folks here are sour about. Understandable.
The biggest difference is that Tesla has unilateral control over what a new Tesla sells for, not the market. If an agency, for example, engaged in price fixing to control the prices of real estate in a certain market, there would be legal repercussions against that agency. Tesla enjoys nearly monopolistic power in the US EV market; that type of control is something our government has sought to curtail since the Sherman act of 1890. When the major player in a sector makes a huge adjustment that moves the entire sector the FTC absolutely takes notice. Tesla has the right to set their own prices, but I’m sure they’re gonna be required to have a conversation with regulators and explain why they’re doing what they’re doing.
I can't believe that a lot don't understand this. Just baffling.
Rule number 1 when buying a depreciating asset.....dont put yourself on thin ice.
It's true that there are likely a lot of folks who do buy a lot more car than they can afford. The thing is though, in this situation with the price drop, the thin ice was brought onto all of us over night. It's a slap in the face and a punch in the gut whether people want to admit it or not.

Yeah... some people call it a bubble (like tech bubble, housing bubble, tulip bubble, etc.. etc..) Imagine spending your life's fortune only to have a bunch of tulips at the end. Crazy, right? Thank God, I assume you didn't spend your life's fortune, and you still managed to get an awesome car while helping transition away from ICE vehicles.

To be honest, this level of irrationality regarding the drop has shocked me. What it has taught me is that a lot of Tesla buyers seemingly do not know basic economics. Also, to alot of people, Tesla the brand, has been associated with "premium" quality and "exclusivity" which was never Elon's intent for Tesla.
Fair. Teslas are entry level luxury at best.
Does no one remember that all other cars and dealerships were selling new cars OVER MSRP?? And now cars are at or below MSRP? Does no one remember that? Does no one remember used cars selling MORE than new MSRP cars? For example the MB G Wagon?

All those people chose to pay over MSRP or buy expensive used cars because that was the market at the time. Now the market calmed down and more cars are available and prices have dropped across different car brands. So it makes sense that Tesla prices would drop.

I am serious, does no one remember the crazy mark ups?? I recall a friend paying over 20K MRSP for a Toyota Thundra TRD Pro.

You made the choice to make a purchase during the time when market was inflated. It is what it is. It is not just Tesla, it is every other car maker, its just that others have dealership as escape goat.
The difference is, for those that chose to pay $20K over MSRP for an ICE car has no right to complain. You might be thinking, but wait, what about those that paid a Premium for a Tesla before the price drop? Well, name one auto maker that, over night, shafted their customer base like Tesla just did?

It never makes sense to include automobile equity in any calculation of personal wealth (unless the car is a collectible). If you have anything more than a tiny percentage of your financial net worth tied up in a car, then you made a mistake in purchasing it. As everyone knows, they are depreciating assets unlike every other component that makes up net wealth (real estate, stocks, bonds, gold, silver, etc). Sure the other assets may vary up and down in value, but in general the value doesn't go to zero over time.
True. I get that there may be a lot of people here complaining who had to finance their cars, but the point being made about getting shafted is valid, regardless of the financing option one went with.

I never said there was anything wrong with it. Two people in this thread stated that Tesla made no money on financing. That is simply not true.

You’re talking about competition in the broader sense. I’m talking about competition when someone gets it in their mind that a Tesla is aspirational and they really want one. What else are they going to compare it to? When I was looking, I wouldn’t even consider a Mach E or Ioniq 5, etc.

What I’m saying is that it will be interesting to see what happens once there are equivalently advanced, similarly priced and good looking electric vehicles to compete with Tesla that also have recognition and cachet. Today there are none.

Tesla is the Starbucks and Apple. When you're the first at a major scale in something, you inherit a particular perception among the consumers.

Ex. Look at Starbucks coffee... subjective or not, in many reviews the coffee sucks, yet people still buy it and drink it when there are better non-burnt tasting options out there. Look at Apple, went from making solid quality products to disposable junk, yet people still buy it and among them a ton of uninformed buyers who barely know how to press the On button on a computer; however, they buy it because it's an Apple product.

Tesla isn't as glamorous as you make it out to be. Us owners know how it suffers from terrible cabin/road noise (not well insulated for the price point), over inflated range on paper, poor range in cold weather, build quality issues, terrible service centers, etc...

What Tesla does have as an edge over the competition are in scalability, software/UI, and charging infrastructure.

I can see why you passed up on the mach-e as it is inferior in many ways to even a Tesla that isn't all that perfect either.

The IONIQ 5 on the other hand is far better built than Teslas, quieter, way better tolerance levels, rigid, safe, among the best UI in and above its price range, top tier safety suite and drivers assistance, 800v architecture, attention to detail and practicality etc... There's a reason the IONIQ 5 has Won multiple Awards around the World.

The only true EV competitor to the Model 3 will be the upcoming IONIQ 6. Other available EVs out right now are a bust. VW with their terrible Software issues, low range, poor charging speeds, poor cold weather performance etc... I hope they up their game, but the VW group in general has major issues to solve.

So as for today, there is competition and the gap is closing fast. Tesla is riding on the wave of having the power of scalability, but once other legit makers catch up the rate of market share will increase, taking away from Tesla's market share. When you (Tesla) are the only ones on the playing field for so long at 100% and others enter the market, there's only one way it'll go and that is down for Tesla.

Forgot to mention the KIA EV6 GT that's quicker than the M3P and Genesis GV60 that offers true luxury that Tesla lacks at the price point.

"The IONIQ 5 on the other hand is far better built than Teslas, quieter, way better tolerance levels, rigid, safe, among the best UI in and above its price range, top tier safety suite and drivers assistance, 800v architecture, attention to detail and practicality etc... There's a reason the IONIQ 5 has Won multiple Awards around the World."

Except the Ioniq 5 is hideous.

It will be very interesting to see what happens when Tesla get some real competition.

"The IONIQ 5 on the other hand is far better built than Teslas, quieter, way better tolerance levels, rigid, safe, among the best UI in and above its price range, top tier safety suite and drivers assistance, 800v architecture, attention to detail and practicality etc... There's a reason the IONIQ 5 has Won multiple Awards around the World."

Except the Ioniq 5 is hideous.

It will be very interesting to see what happens when Tesla get some real competition.
At the current Model Y Prices, anyone that recommends an Ioniq 5 over a MY is either a Hyundai fan or oblivious.

Last edited:
At the current Model Y Prices, anyone that recommends an Ioniq 5 over a MY is either a Hyundai fan or oblivious.
my ionic meme.jpg

This is my response to the recent price drops with Tesla.

Tesla,

Let me begin by expressing my complete disappointment and utter astonishment at the recent actions of Tesla Motor Corporation and the recent aggressive price cuts of its automobiles. In late September I purchased a Model Y performance for $77,440 plus tax and license totaling some $85,400 and of course waiting 3 months for delivery. Just before the year end I learned of the new price cuts, tax credits and free supercharging not to mention the less than one week delivery. If that wasn’t shocking enough and now just a couple months later I find out my car is only worth $65,380, the price at which I can buy the same vehicle today. If I knew this was coming I would have simply waited 3 months and saved nearing $15,000. I can’t even take advantage of the tax credits, supercharging or price breaks and now can never sell my car without taking a huge loss. Thanks for the immediate depreciation of my vehicle!!

As a read through on-line posts and social media, I’m certainly not the only one who is outraged by this action. I believe Tesla Motor Company should provide a rebate at some level to its clients who purchased a vehicle say within 6 months of this recent news. At the very least, Tesla should provide the free Supercharging offer and free full self-driving capability as this would cost Tesla essentially nothing. This would not in any way make me whole but at least it’s something other than the gut punch Tesla and Elon Musk just served up. It must be comforting for a Billionaire to make these rash decisions while hard working loyal customers like myself who support him have to just sit here and take it.

I expect a qualified response to this e-mail and not some “canned” cut and paste reply. This situation represents real money and is a valid concern by one of Tesla’s valued customers.
I am in complete agreement with you. I was in the same boat four months ago with the purchase of the MYP. There should have been some compensation for those who are out of luck for the rebate or incentives. If TESLA want the loyal customers to buy another vehicle after this, they have another ting coming. At least give us free supercharging!

You all laughing have no clue what you're talking about! Screw you and this toxic ass comminity.

My Model 3 LR isn't even safe to drive using 'autopilot' at night on the local interstates though. Tesla told me this vehicle was safer and had an improved 'sensor package' - but they lied. Right in the showroom in December. I don't even give AF about FSD, my car randomly accelerates and decelerate just using adaptive cruise control.

Worse? The service techs say there is a software fix coming but they can't give me an ETA. So, they admit the car doesn't function as advertised and sold to me. I knew FSD had issues... I didnt know it could even follow cars safely in traffic at night with cruise control. I am demanding a refund, in full.

I want out of this dysfunctional Tesla Family.

I did not pay 60k to buy into a beta test, I did not buy a 60k car thats been out for 5 yeaes only to be afraid to use it. The core driving and safety feature available on most modern cars are superior - my 2015 Model S functioned as it was supposed to. But it also had ultrasonics... not 'Tesla Vision'or whatever nonsense they are lying about.

Tesla has not answered me, but I am livid.

These price drops have TRAPPED me in this unsafe broken car with not ETA on a fix. I WAS planning on selling it... because I need a working car. but they screwed me by dropping the MSRP instead of fixing the car.

They should take a refund ASAP. I don't even want the thing registered in my name, I don't want to look at it! I promise - Tesla will not make a cent in profit off me if they force this crap sandwich down my throat. They will fix every. Little. Error. I will live in their service centers and showrooms for 8 years. I will do whatever it takes.

I've trusted Tesla for years. I sold my 2015 Model S to buy this 2023 Model 3 LR. And it's an absolute disappoint. A hunk of metal wasting away in my garage while Tesla tries to 'fix it'... this is NOT my fault

They know they can't fix it with the hardware as shipp3d. Tesla Corporate knew this in the 4Q of 2022 and suppressed the industry analysis so as to not affect sales. Explicitly. Then created a bogus discount while stopping all publishing of crash test data. When the truth came out, they dropped the MSRP 20% - and now they expect me to pay for their mistakes while my car doesn't function reliably or safely.

No. This is false advertising and fraud. Elon knew this junk 'sensor package' didnt work. That we he pushed 'discounts' falsely leading us to believe they had something to do with tax credits. Not to mention they over insured thousands of cars, knowingly. I don't trust Tesla and I will be the biggest problem customer for them - they will not prosper tricking me into being their debt slave. The ammount I put down on my Model 3 would buy it today... they utterly scammed me and have left me reeling and without a car I can use.

I want out of this nightmare. Now. But their corporate reps and attorneys haven't even responded to my demands for arbitration. They refuse a refund because they don't stand by their products.

They are leaving me here, screwed. I demand justice... if this car is so 'great' they can take it back and sell it to someone else who doesn't make a living driving on the interstates at night. Because this thing is a horror show. I can't use it and it's not my fault they misled me on the features, the price and now can't make it operate as they sold it to me.

All of this should be THEIR problem. I have no patience or understanding. I have no faith they are going to take care of me as a customer or do right by me. Every day I lose money, I am without a car and they cannot even tell me an ETA to get it working!

Take. This. Heap. Back!!
🍋

Yes. The vehicle is an absolute lemon. And Tesla lied to me and used promises of software fixes and free supercharging miles to trick me past the lemon law dates.

They are an abusive, lying company and I want nothing more to do with them. I want them to take this crap back and give me a refund. I am not goigmng to finance their mistakes. The leaks gave come out..m we know they are worming on new radar systems and cameras to replace the ones on the car.

They lied. They lied. And they not only lied, they overcharged me and have stuck me with this Lemon or huge losses because they're racing to the bottom against Chinese companies.

How do they get to do this to my family and my business? I referred 21 people back in the early days. We've owned 5 Tesla, for crying out loud! My pop visited the gigafactory and saw the unveiling of the Model 3 years ago!

I am livid. Sick. And trapped. Why? What good comes of passion off loyalists? What good comes from forcing losses upon your customers? I mean, ****. I mind as well sell this Tesla stock... Tesla is just nothing but loss and after loss after loss for my family. And they're gonna stick me with this POS lemon of a car.

But sure, keep laughing all the way to the bank. I'm not laughing yall!

• Funny
Reactions: Lleo and bkp_duke
Always a pleasure to read rants from those who join just to vent their spleen - have a nice day and good luck to you! 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
I am not done venting, trust. I won't be anything but a problem customer. I can guarantee it. 💯

They *want* to take my return and refund. They want to be done with me and I them. I will make sure they do not propser from their schemes. I will not be stuck with a pile of crap and forced to live with it and pay on it by the richest man in the world. And other Tesla owners can either stand up and demand the company take care of them and/or offer the refunds - or yall can sit back and laugh. The laughter only emboldens me.

All I know is I won't ever accept this. This will never be OK with me. I will not accept this lie of a vehicle and being ripped off to help pay for Elons memlord owner fetish lifestyle. They can't make it work and they knew it when the sold it to me and are lying to me today.

Nevermind how I put enough down in December to buy my car outright today. Every single penny I had to finance was based on lies and price gouging and now they can't even deliver. Maybe yall are happy with your cars... maybe y'all are OK using autopilot during the day. But I drive Uber at night, on the interstates... it's no joke. This car is not safe or reliable... it cannot maintain safe speeds and follow distances. I was told it was better and safer than my 2015 Model S - that was a lie and they knew it.

I need out of it, but I cant get out of it. Tesla needs to fix this 😤

I am not done venting, trust. I won't be anything but a problem customer. I can guarantee it. 💯

They *want* to take my return and refund. They want to be done with me and I them. I will make sure they do not propser from their schemes. I will not be stuck with a pile of crap and forced to live with it and pay on it by the richest man in the world. And other Tesla owners can either stand up and demand the company take care of them and/or offer the refunds - or yall can sit back and laugh. The laughter only emboldens me.

All I know is I won't ever accept this. This will never be OK with me. I will not accept this lie of a vehicle and being ripped off to help pay for Elons memlord owner fetish lifestyle. They can't make it work and they knew it when the sold it to me and are lying to me today.

Nevermind how I put enough down in December to buy my car outright today. Every single penny I had to finance was based on lies and price gouging and now they can't even deliver. Maybe yall are happy with your cars... maybe y'all are OK using autopilot during the day. But I drive Uber at night, on the interstates... it's no joke. This car is not safe or reliable... it cannot maintain safe speeds and follow distances. I was told it was better and safer than my 2015 Model S - that was a lie and they knew it.

I need out of it, but I cant get out of it. Tesla needs to fix this 😤
Why didn’t you just rent one from Hertz/Uber if you’re doing rideshare with it?

Why didn’t you just rent one from Hertz/Uber if you’re doing rideshare with it?
Because I don't want to profit share with them? What does that have to do with anything?? I paid off my Model S and saved up and financed the rest. I didn't need Hertz/Uber help and I bought it new because I wanted the newest and best technology in it... and I've never owned a brand new car before.

I was so excited. So happy... I shrugged off the first couple errors. But legitimately... I thought the headlines and haters were all talking about FSD. I did not buy FSD. I just need me car to do... ya know.... adaptive cruise control. I need it to not be sending our chimes and braking randomly and freaking me and passengers out.

I think I can turn a lot of the stuff off? But if I do... then 'autopilot' is demonstrably not as safe... if it even works. And I don't understand how any of this is OK. Tesla knows their ao-called 'sensor package' is insufficient and had third party internal info in the 4th quarter saying as much. Now I'm stuck with their half engineered product and being told I need to wait... some amout of time for magic software.

Meanwhile, within 30 days of offering me a bogus 'discount' Tesla drops the MSRP and bottoms out the resell value... why? Because they streamlined manufacturing.... by ripping out the ultrasonics. 🙃

I was misled. I am disasstisfied. The vehicle is not safe and Tesla knows it and says they are working on software... and are also working on hardware upgrades. But can't even commit to offering those hardware upgrades if they're needed. Well. I need my car to function as sold to me... or I need a refund. None of this is OK.

Well this is good news then.

I'm not sure why sites such as Cargurus and Carvana were valuing my car at less than $10k. I also checked KBB just now and they put the value at $60k private party (thought I suspect it to realistically be around high 40's - 50k).

Wait did you seriously think a '22 MYP was worth less than 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.