Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resurrection of the Montgomery Mall (Bethesda) Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update on the Bethesda supercharger?
No change since March 2018 when the building permit was put in "Stop Work" status. My assumption is that either it's not going to happen anymore and the permit was left as it was instead of being withdrawn completely OR there's some new plans on the Mall's side that they'll have to wait to be finished before they pick the project back up. In the meantime, there's a new building permit application for 8 superchargers not that far away at the Pike & Rose mall in North Bethesda that is moving forward: Supercharger - North Bethesda, MD

No change since March 2018 when the building permit was put in "Stop Work" status. My assumption is that either it's not going to happen anymore and the permit was left as it was instead of being withdrawn completely OR there's some new plans on the Mall's side that they'll have to wait to be finished before they pick the project back up. In the meantime, there's a new building permit application for 8 superchargers not that far away at the Pike & Rose mall in North Bethesda that is moving forward: Supercharger - North Bethesda, MD

Interesting. They still list the Montgomery Mall Bethesda Supercharger on the official Tesla Supercharger map as planned for 2019.

Reactions: preilly44
Interesting. They still list the Montgomery Mall Bethesda Supercharger on the official Tesla Supercharger map as planned for 2019.
Tesla's map of future locations can't really be used like that. For example, in this instance, even if Tesla had dropped the Montgomery Mall location, the same grey pin that potentially used to be "referring" to the Montgomery Mall location could now be "referring" to the North Bethesda location without any alteration to the map. Or it could be referring to neither. Or both. etc.

Pike and Rose is where the local Porsche dealership is as well. And there is an EvGo there too. I like the idea of having multiple charger types in the same spot.

Tesla has removed the Bethesda pin from their website map.

upload_2020-2-8_18-26-30.png

I wonder if that is a mistake? Maybe it is too soon to tell?

This site had 2 building permits issued in March

I just revisited the Montgomery County permitting database per the instructions kindly provided by mociaf9 and "Commercial Building" permit type # 879042 still indicates as "issued."

But wait a minute, there is more. I scrolled down and found under a separate heading "Inspections" an entry with the Description of "Final" and "CANCELLED" with the Scheduled Date of 1/29/2020.
There is another entry with the Description "Permit Expiration" and "Pending" with the Scheduled Date of 2/24/2020.

This additional info seems to indicate this location is no longer under consideration by Tesla. Darn!

Last edited:
I wonder if that is a mistake? Maybe it is too soon to tell?

I just revisited the Montgomery County permitting database per the instructions kindly provided by mociaf9 and "Commercial Building" permit type # 879042 still indicates as "issued."
Permit # 879042 is for the North Bethesda supercharger at Pike&Rose that are already operational. The inspections listed there show that they passed their final Inspection on 2020-01-31. You can ignore the bit about the permit expiration date as it's not an issue when they've already finished the work and passed all inspections. Plus, permit expiration isn't really a hard limit. It usually just means that they'd have to pay a fee to get it reinstated.

The permit numbers for the Montgomery Mall location that this thread is focused on are: # 826654, # 826658. Searching both of those still show that they are unchanged, with a status of "Stop Work" as of 2018-03-22.

Reactions: preilly44 and Lanny
I assume you are talking about the Supercharge.info map? That's not affiliated with TMC, though this forum is used as one of the sources of their info and a bunch of the SC.info editors are active members here. But it's not something the TMC mods have any say or control of, unless they are also editors for SC.info.

As for whether to remove the blue dots there, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to learn that the plans for superchargers there had fallen through and were dropped. But I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were still thinking they'd go ahead with the project but that it is on hold until some other development with the mall gets finished, in which case it could still be a few more years until the chargers go in. The permits haven't been withdrawn, but that doesn't really mean anything either as Tesla isn't the most diligent about wrap up on dropped projects.

It's not the only place, it's just one of the more accessible and comprehensive places for supercharger discussion. But lots of the discussion links on Norwegian or other European superchargers direct to other fora. If you want to talk specifically about SC.info stuff, they have their own forum as well forum.supercharge.info but it's a much smaller platform.

@MarcoRP and @Chuq time to remove these locations?

Another year has passed and Tesla still does not show a grey pin for Bethesda on their map anymore.
View attachment 676815

The permits still have a status of Stop Work, and those permits are only good for one year anyway.
View attachment 676810
View attachment 676808
Yes, please do. Besides, if you remove them from supercharge.info, Tesla will surprise us with a secretly completed Supercharger hidden in some obscure place. Then we’d finally get our Bethesda Superchargers. 🤪

@corywright

The funny thing is there was a similar install at King of Prussia, PA. The site sat in permit status for a couple of years. It was removed due to inactivity, and within a couple of months there was construction at the same site! I'm sure quite a few of the blue dots are expired permits, but they're still useful as it does show people where to possibly look (either for a new permit or for actual construction)..

Reactions: RTPEV
The funny thing is there was a similar install at King of Prussia, PA. The site sat in permit status for a couple of years. It was removed due to inactivity, and within a couple of months there was construction at the same site! I'm sure quite a few of the blue dots are expired permits, but they're still useful as it does show people where to possibly look (either for a new permit or for actual construction)..

I think one key difference between these sites and the King of Prussia site is that Tesla never removed the "coming soon" pin for KoP, they just kept pushing the date back. Tesla removed the Bethesda pin 16 months ago, and didn't re-add it in January or April of this year when they refreshed the Find Us map. Given that Tesla has been doing a much better job of maintaining the map of "coming soon" locations, I'd guess these Montgomery Mall locations have been abandoned.

I agree that the blue dots can be helpful for people who want to keep an eye out, but in this case it could be a waste of time if someone is going by expecting to one day see construction.

I'll remove the pins tomorrow unless there is a strong case that they should remain.