Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Ridiculous Service Process that Is Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service is the reason I’m thinking of selling my Model S.

My MCU died on the 4th and my A/C was stuck running even with the car off. Earliest appt was on the 20th.

Ended up dropping my car off Monday the 6th. The SA gave me one days worth of Uber Credits.
Told me to contact him today to check the status and get more Uber credits or a loaner.

Tried to call, text to no avail. Luckily I have a motorcycle I can ride. After my car is fixed I’m trading it in. Love the car hate the company.

Wait so you ended up getting an appt 2 days after it died and that is awful. They are giving you Uber credits because they have no loaners available. How horrid. When I had a BMW we got nothing. When we had our Mercedes we got a loaner free for a couple years, but getting appts were horrible and hugely expensive. Even once had the car die on me. They towed it. Got the car back to us on the day we were leaving for vacation. Packed up car in driveway. Went to leave and same issue occurred. Quickly loaded up our Camry for roadtrip from Chicago to Florida. Before we left I arranged with Mercedes that they would come to house and get car. I hid the keys and told them where the keys were. We got back from vacation and Mercedes forgot to come and get the car to fix it. Now that is horrible service.

Service on our S has been incredible. Maybe it is just Chicago. Really only door issues, but one MCU replacement. Making appts with the app is great and they have done the work except MCU at my home or office. Except for one other instance. We were moving and were using the S for fragile stuff. 1st trip of the day got back and driver door handle wouldnt come out. I called service explained the issue. They ran out a brand new P100D and we used that to move until they returned our car later that afternoon. They didnt even have an issue us moving our dogs in the loaner. That is simply the best service I have ever got from any brand car.

This is all location based. I get loaners almost every time. I get pretty good service both mobile and at my service center. I guess I'm lucky.

They also mostly respond to my texts though I do think they really need a phone connection and a dedicated follow up contact.
Agreed, my service experiences continue to be very good. I actually refused a loaner last time (mid-day drop-off) since I'm not driving anywhere much now, anyway. Plus, they actually tried to accommodate my request to get charging working on my dead MCU long enough to wait for an upgrade. It sounded like they really did put in an effort, too. And we've been able to call and talk to a person, too, though my wife is the one who knows the required incantations, not me.
They don't give free carwashes anymore, though.
So yeah, apparently service varies a LOT.

Reactions: croman
Plenty of things can be resolved much, much quicker by talking with a human over the phone.

Ever since The World got SMS I have been a huge advocate. I so much prefered a list of text messages I could scroll through and prioritize rather than wading through lengthy voice messages or having to wait till I had access to email etc. (back in the day)

But it really confuses me why so so many organizations (of which Tesla is a prime example) seem to bend over backwards to keep me at arms length! They should value every interaction and chance to put a good foot forwards leaving a good impression for the future. Maybe given their approach to marketting, they don't see the same costs for making a sale. If they really think this can be done better by having me tap cryptic sub-functional messages on my phone than engage in a friendly dialogue with a friendly, helpful employee then imo something is pretty wrong.

Sure, for those who want the app approach, great. But real empowered people can give a far higher level of service in many cases.

I am considering getting backing into a new Model S. After 2 minutes driving I CLEARLY remember why and what I love about driving it.
These posts are what's holding me up. I voiced these concerns to the local sales team, after the test drive. Had a long talk with the manager, he then asked what can I do to make you feel more comfortable. I asked what is being done to make the service a better experience ? He said the internal mandate is to get better and they are trying to hire more technicians, but that they are a different kind car company, and believe in technology to make a better vehicle, and hopefully a better experience. For what its worth, I absolutely believe him, but I am still struggling to commit.

A lot of Tesla owners are happy with service. I have been very happy. I live 4 hours away from the nearest SC, and they have come up twice and resolved issues. I was not expecting immediate attention (it wasn't) and for me waiting several weeks was a non-issue. (One issue was a parking accident so some trim had to be replaced) I know that's not true for most folks. Complainers get on line, most contented people don't bother.

I am not denying that some people have had terrible service issues. Some have, IMHO, unrealistic expectations. I am a very enthusiastic Tesla owner, and wished I had bought stock a decade ago.

Ever since The World got SMS I have been a huge advocate. I so much prefered a list of text messages I could scroll through and prioritize rather than wading through lengthy voice messages or having to wait till I had access to email etc. (back in the day)

But it really confuses me why so so many organizations (of which Tesla is a prime example) seem to bend over backwards to keep me at arms length! They should value every interaction and chance to put a good foot forwards leaving a good impression for the future. Maybe given their approach to marketting, they don't see the same costs for making a sale. If they really think this can be done better by having me tap cryptic sub-functional messages on my phone than engage in a friendly dialogue with a friendly, helpful employee then imo something is pretty wrong.

Sure, for those who want the app approach, great. But real empowered people can give a far higher level of service in many cases.

The sad story is this is what they used to have. Service used to be INCREDIBLE.

You used to be able to call and have a 2-minute conversation and resolve everything. Now you can exchange text messages back and forth for a week and still have no resolution.

Love Tesla and our car but if we do not buy another Tesla it will be because of poor service, and specifically the inability to speak to someone when needed who can assist us in a meaningful way.

For all their faults, Service is something car dealers have figured out to do. When we used to own ICE cars, they took service very seriously. We would get a survey after each visit, and even the slightest issue we had, we would get a call from the Service Manager to figure out how they could address it. We don't need that level of exceptional service but not being able to talk to the service center is beyond ridiculous.

I can understand that it is hard to relate to those of us in bad service center zones when you are in a good one. Trust me, we have tried it all, and the service just stinks at some locations. Notice that many who are complaining are from the same region.
This times 1,000

Texting is extremely overused and so much slower than a phone call. Customer service has gone downhill. BMW, Audi and Mercedes are much better for obvious reasons. But, honestly Honda and Toyota are too. I really like my car but I miss good customer service. The one shining example of good cs is the road rangers and in-house technicians - but getting to that point is a PITA.

Reactions: PhilDavid
A lot of Tesla owners are happy with service. I have been very happy. I live 4 hours away from the nearest SC, and they have come up twice and resolved issues. I was not expecting immediate attention (it wasn't) and for me waiting several weeks was a non-issue. (One issue was a parking accident so some trim had to be replaced) I know that's not true for most folks. Complainers get on line, most contented people don't bother.

I am not denying that some people have had terrible service issues. Some have, IMHO, unrealistic expectations. I am a very enthusiastic Tesla owner, and wished I had bought stock a decade ago.

Someone else who lacks the minimal creative ability required to consider that the level of service he experiences from his area isn't exactly the same everywhere. Listen, I'm happy you've had good service because it proves that Tesla is capable of delivering it everywhere. What I'm not happy with is assuming that anyone who doesn't share your exact opinion is a complainer and it's their fault due to unrealistic expectations. Do a little searching and see the nightmare stories I've posted and you'll probably also stumble across several similar stories from others in various regions signaling that it's not just me or my region that has problems. Couple that with the fact that it's absolutely impossible to call and talk to a single human who you can hold accountable until your issues is resolved (by design) and you've got a recipe for the worst customer service experience possible which many of us can attest to experiencing. As much as I love these cars I absolutely refuse to give Tesla a pass so they don't have to address is the way many seem content to do in the name of "the vision" whatever the hell causes them to excuse any and everything this company does.

There are likely 2-4 reasons many Tesla Service Centers are so ridiculous to deal with:

1. Techie people tend to lack people skills. Generally, not always true, but generally
2. The best service people work for dealers and Tesla ends up with people who couldn't cut at a ice dealerships
2a. Often the blind lead the blind when it comes to training new employees.
3. **Tesla service centers are often UNDER staffed and this goes back to point 2.
3a. it's tough to find good help in any business. The star employees are few and far between. Most
could care less about Tesla and are doing to get a pay check.
**Many current and former Tesla employees were demoralized when their friends and associates were
laid off a few years back when Tesla tightened its financial belt. This seriously hurt long term morale and
loyalty to the company. Their starry eyed view of the company was crushed in many cases.

IMHO .. based on years of hiring and training.

p.s. Doubt it would help, but i read of people making comments direct to Musk on twitter and he
sometimes responds. perhaps if he were inundated by service complaints something would start to happen.

I'm infamous at the Fremont Service center as a customer, then employee, then back to customer with my Model S and Model X. I find the online appointment is OK, and when reviewed in advance, is properly determined if field service or SC visit is needed. Luckily living < 5 miles form the Fremont factory, if in doubt, I drive to the SC and walk in and make an appointment and they ALWAYS do a check to see if it can be a quick fix or not. If not, we discuss IW vs. OOW work. Either way, I sign off on the repair and the parts get ordered on the spot and I get a call or text when parts come in. Then we schedule followup if needed.

I've found I prefer Brooks Motor Cars at this point as they can get restricted and unrestricted parts as needed; and the labor rate is < Tesla by at least 25%. I've seen the part costs and you don't get gouged for cheap screws and fasteners, and slight markup on the parts. And Brooks always answers the phone, returns emails, provides documents and provided the broken part when replaced no questions asked.

If you are OOW (out of warranty) finding a certified repair center is the better option IMHO vs. the current service protocols.

Yes, I know, 99% of Tesla customers don't live next to the factory or within 2 miles of SC. YMMV.

Agree. Brooks Motors is first rate, on service and cost.

Ever since The World got SMS I have been a huge advocate. I so much prefered a list of text messages I could scroll through and prioritize rather than wading through lengthy voice messages or having to wait till I had access to email etc. (back in the day).
To clarify, when I said it can be quicker over the phone, I meant a live conversation, not voicemail. SMS is much more efficient than voicemail.

Reactions: Battpower
Tesla service is changing. It used to be great in the traditional way: they talked to you in a helpful and competent manner; they provided loaners which were often better than your car; if the service took longer than expected it didn't matter because you were putting miles on their loaner; they (usually) fixed things right and for free.

They added mobile service, which is even more awesome. No travel needed, no loaner needed, no inconvenience of any kind. Simply better (when it worked).

Now they're trying to take it to the next level, making it cheaper, simpler, faster, and more efficient. But they're screwing it up. What they're trying to do is make it all based on the Tesla app -- if you want anything, just request it though the app. This can work very well if they set customer expectations correctly, if the app is really good, and if they nail the communications aspect. That last means soliciting the right information from the customer, storing it in such a way that all relevant service people can find it, and never leaving the customer hanging. Those are all things that Tesla absolutely sucks at, and they don't seem to be getting better. Plus they aren't clearly setting customer expectations.

But, once they do get better at communications and set customer expectations properly, then this new approach will be awesome.

Customers won't get frustrated if they don't expect to be able to call and talk to a person. If all they have to do is tell the app "I want an extended service warranty" and it can respond instantly "your VIN isn't eligible" or "it will cost $x if you do option 1 or $y if you do option 2" and you never need to talk to a person at all, then that's a huge win. It sends you the contract along with instructions for how to pay for and activate it. And there's an option to have somebody call you because there's more you need to know. That's where they're heading.

Customers won't be frustrated in general if one of their options after entering a description of their issue is "have somebody call me after reading the description of my problem because there are complicating circumstances". And the ensuing call will be faster and simpler because the Tesla person will already know about the problem to the extent it was described. Customers won't be frustrated if they know in advance that the policy is Uber credits or nothing, and if you need a loaner rent a car. The problem is a mismatch in expectations.

In any case, the transition to different and better is often bumpy. And in this case it's especially bad because communications is a special incompetence of Tesla. It might help if we all stop complaining about service and clearly complain about communications.

And no doubt if you refuse to deal with anything but cold calling a Tesla person to make whatever request you want, then you will be disappointed. Sorry, the times are changing. Perhaps you'll be able to spend arbitrary amounts of time talking to an AI when they get good enough, and then it will put the request in the app for you. Or something like that.

In any case, the transition to different and better is often bumpy. And in this case it's especially bad because communications is a special incompetence of Tesla. It might help if we all stop complaining about service and clearly complain about communications.

Wrong.

The communications is terrible but the service sucks also.

arbitrary amounts of time talking to an AI

I do this already with FSD but I soon ran out of 4 letter words to tell it how frustrating it can be!

Re: communication. I still can't see any justification for Tesla at a corporate level not doing everything it can to maintain the highest level of positive customer engagement. And that in my book means making a decent app to do the bulk of leg work but absolutely almost encouraging person to person communication especially if ever a customer feels there is a need.

Last edited:
Tesla service is changing. It used to be great in the traditional way: they talked to you in a helpful and competent manner; they provided loaners which were often better than your car; if the service took longer than expected it didn't matter because you were putting miles on their loaner; they (usually) fixed things right and for free.

They added mobile service, which is even more awesome. No travel needed, no loaner needed, no inconvenience of any kind. Simply better (when it worked).

Now they're trying to take it to the next level, making it cheaper, simpler, faster, and more efficient. But they're screwing it up. What they're trying to do is make it all based on the Tesla app -- if you want anything, just request it though the app. This can work very well if they set customer expectations correctly, if the app is really good, and if they nail the communications aspect. That last means soliciting the right information from the customer, storing it in such a way that all relevant service people can find it, and never leaving the customer hanging. Those are all things that Tesla absolutely sucks at, and they don't seem to be getting better. Plus they aren't clearly setting customer expectations.

But, once they do get better at communications and set customer expectations properly, then this new approach will be awesome.

Customers won't get frustrated if they don't expect to be able to call and talk to a person. If all they have to do is tell the app "I want an extended service warranty" and it can respond instantly "your VIN isn't eligible" or "it will cost $x if you do option 1 or $y if you do option 2" and you never need to talk to a person at all, then that's a huge win. It sends you the contract along with instructions for how to pay for and activate it. And there's an option to have somebody call you because there's more you need to know. That's where they're heading.

Customers won't be frustrated in general if one of their options after entering a description of their issue is "have somebody call me after reading the description of my problem because there are complicating circumstances". And the ensuing call will be faster and simpler because the Tesla person will already know about the problem to the extent it was described. Customers won't be frustrated if they know in advance that the policy is Uber credits or nothing, and if you need a loaner rent a car. The problem is a mismatch in expectations.

And no doubt if you refuse to deal with anything but cold calling a Tesla person to make whatever request you want, then you will be disappointed. Sorry, the times are changing. Perhaps you'll be able to spend arbitrary amounts of time talking to an AI when they get good enough, and then it will put the request in the app for you. Or something like that.
I've said from the beginning that the app and text messaging would be my preferred method of service/communication if it worked. It doesn't. It's dreadful. Until you can implement it properly you owe it to your customers to provide a communication method that does work. I've heard for over a year and a half now that Tesla knew communication and service was an issue and they were addressing it and yet it only has gotten worse since. We're not talking a few weeks here but the decline of Tesla service is measured now in years. This is more than just simply growing pains and Tesla has completely lost sight of what put them on the map as they are 100% focused on delivery #'s and profit and, to them, service is just a cost line item they can do without.

@PhilDavid, I can definitely sympathize with your desire to keep yourself and family members safe. Even with a loaner it's hard to tell if the interior has been contaminated by the previous customer or employee. I doubt Tesla sanitizes the interiors of the loaner cars. The safest bet is to have another family member follow you in a separate car. They can stay in the car while you drop yours off. Hopefully everyone in the Service Center is also healthy.
I saw them sanitize all loaners returned in NJ, at least while I was waiting.

Reactions: FatherTo1
I've said from the beginning that the app and text messaging would be my preferred method of service/communication if it worked. It doesn't. It's dreadful. Until you can implement it properly you owe it to your customers to provide a communication method that does work. I've heard for over a year and a half now that Tesla knew communication and service was an issue and they were addressing it and yet it only has gotten worse since. We're not talking a few weeks here but the decline of Tesla service is measured now in years. This is more than just simply growing pains and Tesla has completely lost sight of what put them on the map as they are 100% focused on delivery #'s and profit and, to them, service is just a cost line item they can do without.
It doesn't work yet. It will. I suspect that what they ought to do is create a call center operation that is explicitly an app alternative. If you aren't happy with how the app is doing things then you are supposed to call that number to get help. What they can do is figure out what you should have put in the app, and put it in for you. If the app can't handle your request, they can file a bug report on the app, along with helping you in some other fashion. Problem solved: the app gets better fast, and people get trained on how to use it.

Yes, Tesla isn't doing this. They should do it, or something like it.

It doesn't work yet. It will. I suspect that what they ought to do is create a call center operation that is explicitly an app alternative. If you aren't happy with how the app is doing things then you are supposed to call that number to get help. What they can do is figure out what you should have put in the app, and put it in for you. If the app can't handle your request, they can file a bug report on the app, along with helping you in some other fashion. Problem solved: the app gets better fast, and people get trained on how to use it.

Yes, Tesla isn't doing this. They should do it, or something like it.
When? To have this be the ONLY point of contact and have it not work isn't acceptable. Saying it "will" work isn't acceptable. Nothing about what Tesla has chosen to do is acceptable but it sure cuts costs down in their relentless pursuit of profits.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid