Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"The S and X are better cars than the Model 3" - Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it also worth noting that the option code for the charger looks to have been updated, at least on european orders for S/X.

My X (for the UK) went to build 16th March, completed 26th March and shows both APH4 code and more interestingly CH09 which looks like it may be charger related, is this a new charger to take advantage of the uprated superchargers and CCS in Europe??

Reactions: Pale_Rider
You buy a BMW 5 series, it will always be at least as good as, and typically better than, a 3 series. They're never that far apart because of course BMW would rather you buy the 5 series..
not really, sometimes the new 3 series has more updated tech stuff than the 5 series that is 2-3 years from a cycle refresh.

anyway, the model 3 is a pretty cool but is arguably worse for so many big reasons that nobody should really be confusing the 3 vs. S

Size - S is considerably bigger...the model 3 feels tiny in comparison. The model 3 is a nice size but the Model S is cavernous inside and outside has much better presence. The 3 looks skinny and tall, the S looks wide and powerful.

Looks - S wins on looks pretty handily. The 3 is a nubby version of the S that definitely looks like the junior car.

Performance - the Model S again wins here. The base model vs base model comparison isn't really all that close. The performance model vs performance model is again considerably in the favour of the model S.

Interior - the 3 feels cheap, flimsy in spots. The S feels not quite Audi, but much nicer than the 3. I have real leather seats in my P90D though not the cloth ones that seem to be in all the model S cars out now. All around though the interior in the S is nicer than in the 3. The 3 has the new screen layout but even that bugs me with it being up and to the right without even the cluster screen.

Tech - the super duper battery charging speed is pretty awesome. That's a definite huge plus for the model 3. Still, teh S will get a 15-20% bump in speed too...but not a 100% bump. With that being said, I don't know how long it will take for that to be a real thing. There are something like 13,000 supercharger stalls in the world...they're almost entirely the old school version. So it will likely be a few years before they've evolved all of them to the V2, and by then you'll probably be selling/upgrading your car so who cares. I may have that wrong...maybe tesla flicks a switch and all old superchargers become 250kw v2 but I doubt it.

Range favours the Model S, but barely. Charging speed (miles or kms per time supercharging) is in favour of the model 3 thanks to its lower consumption rate, therefore it adds range faster since it gets more distance from a unit of energy).

Really I dont buy the whole waaaaah my model S is worse than a little model 3 with thin doors and lots of plastic inside. Don't buy it one bit.

Analogy:

IPhone 6+ (Plus) to and iPhone 8 (non plus)

Both amazing technology in their own right.
The former will be larger, perhaps more comfortable to text with, larger screen, same software, older chip, architecture, older hardware, older assembly techniques, older but perhaps stronger casing/body however will not process as fast as the newer but smaller model.

Yet someone will pay a bit less for it, for the added comfort, the size and basically the same software...for the same or lower price than the newer, quicker software 8 with some nifty new features.

I love my S and I’m sure I’d be as enthralled with a 3 even though the S just fits better with me.

Enough said :)
not really as the key feature on the phone you referenced is its 'processing speed' however the key feature of a car is its driving speed/feel...and the S still beats the 3 up and down the street, it isn't worse.

S will get some love, but not for a while yet. They have a lot on their plate. I personally will wait to upgrade from my P85D. I just don't see any point in upgrading to a current (P)100D as it's largely the same as my current car in most respects. Once they go to a full 21-70 battery pack with 400 EPA miles, update the interior and move to HW3 autopilot, then I think it may be time to consider an upgrade.
precisely. Same boat (but P90D which is the same car basically as yours). I admit I've asked Tesla to price out a trade for a P100D for my car but they've basically gotten out of the trade in business (here in Canada anyway) and just give you a wholesale quote. AKA the same as you'd be willing to pay for a box of used condoms.

not really as the key feature on the phone you referenced is its 'processing speed' however the key feature of a car is its driving speed/feel...and the S still beats the 3 up and down the street, it isn't worse.

It was an analogy lol. I wasn’t focusing on one specific trait...more the overall package :)

FYI The S75D or 100D does not beat the P3D straight line and no S corners or handles like a 3 no matter which model. But the S is smoother.

It all comes down to preference :)

It was an analogy lol. I wasn’t focusing on one specific trait...more the overall package :)

FYI The S75D or 100D does not beat the P3D straight line and no S corners or handles like a 3 no matter which model. But the S is smoother.

It all comes down to preference :)
Some people want big Cadillacs and some people want to drive a Porsche. The difference between the S and 3 is not even close to that extreme. I prefer the quiet solid feel of the S. The quickness and agility difference of the 3 is not very important to me. To me the only thing more important about the three is the lower price tag.

Some people want big Cadillacs and some people want to drive a Porsche. The difference between the S and 3 is not even close to that extreme. I prefer the quiet solid feel of the S. The quickness and agility difference of the 3 is not very important to me. To me the only thing more important about the three is the lower price tag.

Good :) So we agree on that point. Back to what I’d related to...some people want an 8, some people prefer the 6/7+ lol. And some people don’t care for either lol. Similar analogy.

Good :) So we agree on that point. Back to what I’d related to...some people want an 8, some people prefer the 6/7+ lol. And some people don’t care for either lol. Similar analogy.

Slice it all we want, the 3 is a new architecture, new design and new tech. The S is solid for sure but based on technology introduced in 2012. I still prefer it as well.

...some people want minivans, pickups, or an SUV, but I don't think anyone wants an 8. Have you done your homework?

Are we taking the same convo? I don’t understand your last statement. ‘..Done homework?’ I gave a simple analogy comparing the tech of an older but larger iPhone to a newer but smaller one as a quick and fun comparison to an MS and newer M3. Not sure why this is a hard concept to grasp! Obviously the analogy won’t be a 100% fit.

Just take my comment for what it was please...nothing more or less than a side comparison!

When my lease was up last fall, I had to decide what to do. My main choices became keeping my Model S (i.e., buying it) or getting a Model 3. I kept the Model S, partly because of the "devil you know" factor. (I was hearing so many horror stories about Tesla deliveries of used cars that i did not seriously consider a used S.)
Although I know the technology in the Model 3 is newer and the motors are more efficient, I put more weight on the superior interior space in the Model S. The rear seat of the Model 3 is too tiny for adults for more than short distances (I tried it), and I preferred the hatchback over the smaller Model 3 trunk for those occasions (not frequent) when I needed to haul a lot of stuff. The Model S is cavernous!
I agree the Model 3 is fun to drive, agile, smaller and easier to park than my Model S. The front seats seem comfortable, although I did not have any long rides. I never drove it on a highway at high speed, so i cannot compare the long distance comfort, but what I read indicated the Model S is a better "road car" for long distances.
Other factors include the sunroof I have and enjoy, not available on the Model 3, and the limited interior color choices. (I think I would be frustrated if I wanted to buy a new Model S or X now, too -- the limited choice of paint colors and materials is disappointing and would be annoying.) Plus the single center screen seemed harder to use when i test drove the Model 3. (Unfortunately, version 9 of the firmware reduced the usability of the center screen in the Model S so that it is less advantageous than it was, to my great distress.)
People I know who have a Model 3 say they love them, and I do not doubt it. Probably I would enjoy one as well. But at the time, I decided to stick with the Model S. It was not any one thing, but a bunch of small items that leave me preferring the Model S, even with its older technology.
Now when Model Y comes along, that might have more appeal....