Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The source of the vibration is definitely the shaft. I think previously they just reinforced the Clevis to better absorb the shock generated when the shafts start to have the issue. Hopefully, the updated shafts resolve the issue (fingers crossed)
I think the source of the trouble is the tripod joint near the gearbox. GKN has a solution for SUVs with higher angles with 2 more or less normal cv-joints and a ball spline for axial movements.
Why are Volvo using this solution for their bigger SUVs if the tripod could work? The cost is somewhat higher so I think they come to the conclusion that the tripod solution could not work!

Reactions: brainhouston
Just to add to my last reply on this point. My SC appointment went awesome, even though it was for some reason was acting way more subtle than normal when I got there (heat maybe?). In any case the tech confirmed hearing it and feeling it in the pedal and they performed the TSB part replacements. They were super nice. I also got a M3 loaner.
Are you under warranty, and did your invoice say warranty? When I had the original TSB performed, they listed it as goodwill and said they would only do it once. Now, I'm beyond 50k miles and have ESA. I asked if the new TSB would be covered under ESA and they said it would not, and implied that even the warranty wouldn't, as they brought up that even the first repair was goodwill.
I think the source of the trouble is the tripod joint near the gearbox. GKN has a solution for SUVs with higher angles with 2 more or less normal cv-joints and a ball spline for axial movements.
Why are Volvo using this solution for their bigger SUVs if the tripod could work? The cost is somewhat higher so I think they come to the conclusion that the tripod solution could not work!
This sounds feasible to me. When I checked on whether or not the ESA would cover the new TSB, they also told me that the new TSB wasn't a permanent fix, either, as if to imply that maybe the warranty and ESA would cover a permanent fix, but not a temporary one.

Are you under warranty, and did your invoice say warranty? When I had the original TSB performed, they listed it as goodwill and said they would only do it once. Now, I'm beyond 50k miles and have ESA. I asked if the new TSB would be covered under ESA and they said it would not, and implied that even the warranty wouldn't, as they brought up that even the first repair was goodwill.

Yes. It says "Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty". I think a bunch of others had it covered under warranty. That sucks man :( IMO what's the point of ESA if it doesn't cover TSBs? Is there another SC you can go to?

Yes. It says "Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty". I think a bunch of others had it covered under warranty. That sucks man :( IMO what's the point of ESA if it doesn't cover TSBs? Is there another SC you can go to?
Actually, I think there is another SC I could go to, but mine's not bad enough to bother or concern me in the slightest yet, so I'll wait until closer to the 100k mile mark to try again unless it gets bad. I think the point of the ESA is supposed to be to make Tesla money, but I also understand things like the suspension compressor and HV contactor can put a pretty big dent in the purchase cost due to labor (in spite of whispers back when I bought that "Teslas are modular").

Just reporting that I was one of the first cars (2020 Model X LR) to get the new fix in Columbus, OH. As I had posted earlier, I got the first replacements of the old half shafts at around 11k miles. The old replacements started shuddering after a few thousand miles. I decided to hold out for the new parts and these were replaced on June 2nd with about 22k miles on car.

So far these new parts are very smooth!!! Below is the parts list from invoice:

Correction: Inspect Vehicle, Replace Front Halfshafts (Raven Front Drive Unit)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALFSHAFT
ASSEMBLY, FRONT,
RIGHT HAND(1420119-
00-B)
HALFSHAFT
ASSEMBLY, FRONT,
LEFT HAND(1420113-
00-B)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8]
ZnFl-W(1020297-00-A)
WASHER SAFETY
M24x39(1020296-00-B)
I’ve got an appointment in. Columbus, OH SC for the same thing on June 25th for my MXP. Here is hoping it is a permanent fix. Im on my second set of shafts since we picked this up on New Year’s Eve in 2020. First replacement was at 1100 miles and this will be the second at around 5700 miles.

2020 MX LR. 5000 miles. Always kept in Chill mode. Shudder occurs between 35mph and 50mph. Enough for my wife in the passenger to notice. Should I take this into the SC now or wait till it get more noticeable? Will they cover moderate shudder under warranty or only more extreme cases?

2020 MX LR. 5000 miles. Always kept in Chill mode. Shudder occurs between 35mph and 50mph. Enough for my wife in the passenger to notice. Should I take this into the SC now or wait till it get more noticeable? Will they cover moderate shudder under warranty or only more extreme cases?
I would take it in now and start the process of then ordering parts if they haven’t already had them in stock. Most likely they will swap it out.

Our X from 2016 got the halfshafts replaced 2019 (warranty) at ca 50.000mi, in 2020 (paid more than 1500 for it, at 70.000mi, and now again at 100.000mi, parts warranty.

They used same parts number in 2020 and 2021 (1027115-00-D) and (1027111-00-D)

So no change and I think it will coke back soon. We drive in low only and almost no fast acceleration!

They also changed aft links, and we had to pay 1500 again. So each year 1500? Not good..

Our X from 2016 got the halfshafts replaced 2019 (warranty) at ca 50.000mi, in 2020 (paid more than 1500 for it, at 70.000mi, and now again at 100.000mi, parts warranty.

They used same parts number in 2020 and 2021 (1027115-00-D) and (1027111-00-D)

So no change and I think it will coke back soon. We drive in low only and almost no fast acceleration!

They also changed aft links, and we had to pay 1500 again. So each year 1500? Not good..
Doh that sucks. They really should comp you the updated replacement since you already paid twice for the same defect :/

My service contact this morning wasn't aware of any new parts for Ravens yet. But mine might be the first one since the Refresh parts referenced earleir in the thread came out, sooooo we'll see I guess. Will advise. I expect they may say it's not bad enough and I'm better off waiting for "the fix" which tehy don't have yet

My service contact this morning wasn't aware of any new parts for Ravens yet. But mine might be the first one since the Refresh parts referenced earleir in the thread came out, sooooo we'll see I guess. Will advise. I expect they may say it's not bad enough and I'm better off waiting for "the fix" which tehy don't have yet
IMO it's not worth having the older parts installed vs a few days extra wait for the "fixed" ones.

They still have my car, so either they're still working on a software issue of some kind that needed the car to sleep over the weekend, or they're waiting on parts for the new fix, as my initial ETA was 4pm on Friday (dropped off Friday morning)

They were also completely buried in new deliveries so that could be it too, and they're just trying to get the car out from under a pile of Model Y's so they can do a road test, who knows

Last edited:
They still have my car, so either they're still working on a software issue of some kind that needed the car to sleep over the weekend, or they're waiting on parts for the new fix, as my initial ETA was 4pm on Friday (dropped off Friday morning)

They were also completely buried in new deliveries so that could be it too, and they're just trying to get the car out from under a pile of Model Y's so they can do a road test, who knows
They are surprising you with yoke steering :)