Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Factory is now building your Model S....what are the process stages ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could those who have posted about their Dashboard page suddenly showing their car in now in production and what their delivery date is please also post the date they confirmed their order and if their car is a 60, 85, or P85? That would be helpful information.

I ordered and confirmed an 85 on Sep. 29th and my dashboard still shows "sourcing parts" and delivery as being in December (no date given).

Thanks.

I ordered 914 Confirmed 9/15 VIN 9/27 Factory delivery scheduled for 11/18 Dashboard changed to In Production 11/1.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered 914 Confirmed 9/15 VIN 9/27 Factory delivery scheduled for 11/18 Dashboard changed to In Production 11/1.
oops its an S85

Ordered P85 on 10/10 confirmed 10/15 received Vin 10/25 26399 confirmed delivery (factory pick up with tour) 11/29 went from sourcing to production on 11/1

My original order date was mid January that was given to me on confirmation. I spoke to someone to see if i could have it in November and they moved it to Dec 4th delivery in LA -
When i got a DS then i asked her if i could pick up and get tour in factory when visiting family in San Jose over Thanksgiving. She changed delivery date to 11/29

Could those who have posted about their Dashboard page suddenly showing their car in now in production and what their delivery date is please also post the date they confirmed their order and if their car is a 60, 85, or P85? That would be helpful information.

I confirmed my S85 on 9/22, got a VIN # on 9/30, upgraded to a P85 on 10/4, original production date 11/18, delivery date 11/26, Dashboard switched to "In Production" on Nov 1. New delivery date??? :confused:

I confirmed my S85 on 9/22, got a VIN # on 9/30, upgraded to a P85 on 10/4, original production date 11/18, delivery date 11/26, Dashboard switched to "In Production" on Nov 1. New delivery date??? :confused:

I did the same as you, but after "My Tesla" was upgraded to performance, it is still the same VIN that I got first. The 8th digit of the VIN indicates the type of Tesla. Although I have been upgraded to P, then the 8th digit is still N, indicating std. version.
Did you get a new VIN after changing to a Performance?

I did the same as you, but after "My Tesla" was upgraded to performance, it is still the same VIN that I got first. The 8th digit of the VIN indicates the type of Tesla. Although I have been upgraded to P, then the 8th digit is still N, indicating std. version.
Did you get a new VIN after changing to a Performance?

After the change from S85 to P85 the VIN # stayed the same except for the 8th position (model type), it went from N to P.

MY P85+ also changed to "The Tesla factory is building your model S". Order confirmed 3rd September 2013, Vin by late September. Car was scheduled for delivery in january.The last time I spoke with a Tesla representative on the phone she said it won't be january, but february - possibly even late february...

I must ad that I am a european customer (AUSTRIA) and some might not understand my anger but waiting 4 months more when the car will be finished in like 5 days? I will call again tomorrow but this would be nothing short of pathetic. WTF are they doing with the car? Putting it on a 4 month cruise ship so it will be delivered happy and rested? I don't get it. Model S have already been delivered to Austria so it would not be the first time for Tesla to ship a car to my country.
Yes I am frustrated cause all of this s*** does not make any sense.

MY P85+ also changed to "The Tesla factory is building your model S". Order confirmed 3rd September 2013, Vin by late September. Car was scheduled for delivery in january.The last time I spoke with a Tesla representative on the phone she said it won't be january, but february - possibly even late february...

I must ad that I am a european customer (AUSTRIA) and some might not understand my anger but waiting 4 months more when the car will be finished in like 5 days? I will call again tomorrow but this would be nothing short of pathetic. WTF are they doing with the car? Putting it on a 4 month cruise ship so it will be delivered happy and rested? I don't get it. Model S have already been delivered to Austria so it would not be the first time for Tesla to ship a car to my country.
Yes I am frustrated cause all of this s*** does not make any sense.
No reason to get frustrated over your car taking an extended cruise, it has to be a mistake. Tesla simply can't be building 3 months worth of cars this week. There's no way.

Your DS has better insight than the website as to when your car will be ready. Trust what they told you, not the website.

Dates/config in sig. I logged into my dashboard after a few days and noticed the change as well. Unsure of exact date of change.

My theory
TIM: Hey Bob, we have a lot of owners asking when their car is going into production. How do you propose we handle that?
BOB: Don't worry, I'll take care of it. [flips everyone who was "Sourcing Parts" to "In Production"]

Instead of asking who else was flipped, maybe we should ask if there are any folks who finalized 4-8 weeks ago that DON'T say "In Production". It's been my experience at many large companies in all sort of industries that there are very low tech solutions behind processes. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Tesla owns an Excel spreadsheet which have all the statuses for each order with VIN assignments and order status. This is probably uploaded as a flat file into a DB somewhere which is referenced by the website. Yes, it's a guess but given how inaccurate the statuses are based on experiences on this site leaves me highly skeptical that the website is tied to sourcing and production systems.

Last edited:
@staze - I agree with your theory. Confirmed my order S85 on 9/13. As of 11/1 my dashboard still said sourcing parts. I NEVER saw it say "In Production". I logged in this morning - 11/4 - and it now says "Production Complete". My delivery date is 11/11 and it's being shipped to Atlanta so I was getting very nervous considering it's already been pushed once. Since I am trusting that my $95k car wasn't thrown together in a weekend, I'm assuming that TM has just been slacking on keeping everyone's individual status up to date. It's much easier to do it in batch every couple of weeks.

We just had FedEx drop off the envelope that contains the Registration of New Vehicle form and Statement of Deliver Outside of California form, and temporary registration tag.
They even have neat little Tesla "T" stickies that show where to sign.

It also came with a prepaid and pre-addressed FedEx envelope to return the documents. I'm keeping the stickies ;)

We just had FedEx drop off the envelope that contains the Registration of New Vehicle form and Statement of Deliver Outside of California form, and temporary registration tag.
They even have neat little Tesla "T" stickies that show where to sign.

It also came with a prepaid and pre-addressed FedEx envelope to return the documents. I'm keeping the stickies ;)

Sounds exciting! I am hoping that my information arrives later this week. My estimated delivery date is 11/26. Is yours around the same time?

I ordered and confirmed an 85 on Sep. 29th and my dashboard still shows "sourcing parts" and delivery as being in December (no date given).

Thanks.

Ordered on 10/12 as a S85 and confirmed on 10/21 as a P85.

After getting my hopes up when my status changed to In Production, I emailed my DS to see if I might get an early delivery surprise. He claimed (heard this on the message board from others, too) that the dashboard has bad data in it and cannot be relied upon. To which I said, why? It's not that hard, either keep the data accurate or don't show anything. Consistently posting bad data to customers (via dashboard) seems inconsistent with Tesla as a company. I guess every company has holes in their "game" and just because I'm whining over this doesn't mean I'm any less thrilled with the car, etc. You can point out the bad (dashboard) along with the good (everything else), and still be a fan of the company. But, Hey Tesla, fix the dashboard, it makes you look bad to your customers, in my opinion.

@blufintuna: Welcome to the Forums! It's a great place to pass the time while agonizing over delivery. I share in the frustration with the lack of updates but I'm just happy there is a car like this on the market and I feel fortunate that I can afford it! This is another example of Tesla's growing pains. I'm hopeful they will one day have their updates in order.

Neat story about Elon. My wife is an advisor for Space X right now. While she hasn't met Elon she is amazed at how much detail is run by him for his approval. The staff regularly mention his name when providing her with feedback and decisions. He really continues to be the driving force behind his companies - similar to Steve Jobs.

I heard from my DS today also. I got two email from Tesla. One asking me to electrically sign for my upcoming purchase. The other asking me to pay for it already. I sent my DS an e-mail asking if I could pay for it at delivery and he replied that would be acceptable. I also had to provide a copy of my insurance card. Not that I am too worried about Tesla, but lately I have gotten stung twice paying for something BEFORE delivery and I am now twice shy about doing that again. I MUCH prefer transferring funds at time of possession.

I heard from my DS today also. I got two email from Tesla. One asking me to electrically sign for my upcoming purchase. The other asking me to pay for it already. I sent my DS an e-mail asking if I could pay for it at delivery and he replied that would be acceptable. I also had to provide a copy of my insurance card. Not that I am too worried about Tesla, but lately I have gotten stung twice paying for something BEFORE delivery and I am now twice shy about doing that again. I MUCH prefer transferring funds at time of possession.

Interesting. I was told they wouldn't ship the car from the factory until payment had been tendered.

@staze - I agree with your theory. Confirmed my order S85 on 9/13. As of 11/1 my dashboard still said sourcing parts. I NEVER saw it say "In Production". I logged in this morning - 11/4 - and it now says "Production Complete". My delivery date is 11/11 and it's being shipped to Atlanta so I was getting very nervous considering it's already been pushed once. Since I am trusting that my $95k car wasn't thrown together in a weekend, I'm assuming that TM has just been slacking on keeping everyone's individual status up to date. It's much easier to do it in batch every couple of weeks.

Appears that dashboard updates are inconsistent. Mine has gone from "sourcing parts" on 09/29 to "in production" on 11/01 to yet another addition that as of 11/05 it shows "delivery date 12/06". But just like most of you who are waiting, I hope it sooner than later.