Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The woes of wrecking a Tesla Model 3 Performance...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe its me but i dont see a reason why you needed to move the car... did the whole roof flood and total the rest of the cars? it looks like 2", not 2'. also, it looks like the barrier is unfinished but also (cant tell for sure) looks like it was amongst the parking spot and i think the parking garage would argue you shouldn't be "cutting" through spots. i agree with others thats its more like 10-15, 3mph is painfully slow, my kids walk 3mph.

all that said, its a crappy situation and i wish you the best from the repair outcome, it looks minor but we know with telsas thats doesnt mean much in terms of cost and time

I am sympathetic to the OPs plight but I don't see 2 feet of water "up to the doors" from the video. I see maybe 2-3 inches of water. The car probably would have been fine if just left alone. 2 feet of water is up to the knees. Was the water up to your knees? 2" of water would be up to your ankles.

It probably is worth pursuing if the parking garage shares some/all responsibility for this since that balustrade is not completed and is pretty poorly marked.

Maybe find a reputable attorney, share the video with them and see if you've got a case. You will be out thousands in legal fees unless you win.

It would be nice if Tesla could imprint the speed you’re going on the dash cam videos, if would be helpful for everyone, especially for speeding tickets.

Anyways, OP, I feel for you, there’s a reason why they put poles on these blocks, and there was supposed to be one there, probably by code, as you can see the bolts for one in the concrete. These are also usually supposed to be painted safety yellow. I am sure your insurance companies’ legal department will pursue this issue with the owner of the parking ramp. Being a fellow P3D owner, I feel a lot of sympathy for you!

Update
Not totaled - Estimate came out to $10,250 and being repaired at a Tesla Certified Body Shop. The estimate states 9 days for repair time, but that will be longer I'm assuming?

That’s surprisingly good given all the airbag deployments! How many total popped? Knee, steering wheel, side, curtain, on all seats? You said all of them, so I think that would be at least 8? I assume pre-tensioners went as well.

Hope repairs go quickly and smoothly. Probably will end up longer but let us know! Would be good to hear about fast repairs. We only ever seem to hear about the long repairs here...

That’s surprisingly good given all the airbag deployments! How many total popped? Knee, steering wheel, side, curtain, on all seats? You said all of them, so I think that would be at least 8? I assume pre-tensioners went as well.

Hope repairs go quickly and smoothly. Probably will end up longer but let us know! Would be good to hear about fast repairs. We only ever seem to hear about the long repairs here...

Yep, all side airbags and driver wheel/knee. The seat belts did not lock up, however. Will keep you all updated on repair times!

Reactions: GWord
Yep, all side airbags and driver wheel/knee. The seat belts did not lock up, however. Will keep you all updated on repair times!

If that's a pre-teardown insurance estimate (wasn't quite clear whether this was from the shop, or whether you had just picked a particular shop, but the insurance adjuster provided the estimate), it could very well go up from that. I really did expect more like $20k. Though I guess if you're getting really good labor rates it is possible...

Just to reinforce, object aware systems on any car will not do anything below certain speeds. They simply cannot account for the false positives that occur at very low speeds, so the car would be emergency braking constantly. As systems improve, I'm sure this will change but for now that's just the way it is.

Sympathies for the OP. Having had my Performance in for two different incidents where it was hit in the rear, I know the time is painful and I was just sad not to be driving her.

If that's a pre-teardown insurance estimate (wasn't quite clear whether this was from the shop, or whether you had just picked a particular shop, but the insurance adjuster provided the estimate), it could very well go up from that. I really did expect more like $20k. Though I guess if you're getting really good labor rates it is possible...

Correct, here's the pre-teardown estimate. Will update on body shop adjustment when they tear it down. The insurance company said the 3 was in their Parts DB... also, they have a deal with the repair shop for lower rates - so I guess that's where they get the prices from.

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpg
    IMG_4719.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4720.jpg
    IMG_4720.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 82
Correct, here's the pre-teardown estimate. Will update on body shop adjustment when they tear it down. The insurance company said the 3 was in their Parts DB... also, they have a deal with the repair shop for lower rates - so I guess that's where they get the prices from.

Those are some excellent rates for paint & body work. Sounds like the insurer is doing their job at keeping rates down; we'll see if it holds!

A few things:

The front frame rails may have been spread apart a bit. If so, it'll splay the front fenders a bit as well.

If the shop has to replace those (if the measurements show they have been pushed), they'll have to replace the front frame rails & the front fenders. That will call for a front motor and suspension overhaul (which will add to the cost). This seems like the main thing that could drive prices up - it looks like it might be ok but hard to tell.

The forged aluminum impact bars are pretty strong and don't bend that well - so the frame can end up taking the hit in these sorts of cases.

It was a very immovable object, so forces to do this were high enough that it is possible.

Then there is the question about how Tesla views a pyrofuse replacement (didn't see it in the quote). They used to require that the battery be replaced (prior models?), but that seems absurd, so hopefully the replacement of the fuse is all Tesla requires.

Interesting that they call for a headliner with the ultra-suede - presumably a mistake - but maybe you'll get an Alcantara headliner out of this! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ayy Eye