Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Yoke Lover’s master thread! 😀😍🥰😘

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously, I'm opening myself to some juvenile comments, but I still have to ask -- how is the yoke a safe wheel? Where I live, I drive mountain roads with tight-but-fast corners. I've always driven corners with hands at quarter-to-three, never crossing my wrists over under any circumstances, but passing the wheel along in my hands, and this is what feels safe. Has Tesla adjusted the ratio so that less circular motion is needed for a given radius of turn? Because if not, I see no way to navigate Mulholland Drive with a yoke without crossing my arms over one another. I'm not a hater, so please, guys...can I get a rational response? We're thinking of moving on from our wonderful 2016S to a new one and this is a big deal to me.
There's no reason to cross your arms. People do that for views online. Go watch people use the yoke on tracks, it works fine in tight turns. The brakes on the other hand...

That's good to know, but lacking in detail. I get that you're a hot driver, but how do you make a tight turn at speed without crossing your arms over?
It's not that I'm a hot driver, it's the wicked amount of power at hand. And it's easy, none of the turns on Mulholland are tight enough to need to cross them. I have never had the slightest bit of cross up on any of the turns up there. I don't believe there are many turns on many public roads that get you that crossed up. At least not in SoCal.

Not really. At normal driving speed, those are pretty gentle curves. And what I do, and was taught to do, is feed the wheel around keeping hands more or less 3-9 so that I have max travel available in both directions should anything go wrong.
Yeah, they are gentle, as is Mulholland. There's just no reason to be crossed up up there. I don't have some special arms or anything different than anyone else and being crossed up is just not a concern. If you're dead set on being at 3 and 9 no matter what circumstance, then yeah, you'll have as much a concern as you would with a round wheel because you could only go straight.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
At the Tesla Takeover event last Saturday, there were many modified 3 and Y cars. I estimated at least 20% have gone to the effort and expense of switching to a yoke. There are at least 3 companies making Yoke-style replacements for the 3/Y. Considering it costs $700+ just for the yoke steering wheel part, it's clear a lot of people like the yoke and want it. I didn't see any S/X cars that switched from the yoke to the old-style round wheel at the event.

Strange that there are a few that hate the yoke, yet have never actually used it. I guess they can't accept new, safer technology. There's another thread where the 5 or so yoke haters congregate. My guess is within 3 years, all Teslas will be manufactured with a yoke. Based on how far other EVs are behind in trying to copy Tesla, they will start to copy the yoke in 2027 or so.
best avatar ever

Come on, peeps, so me more yoke love! ❤️
1660106289915.png

1660106353437.png

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
I used to dislike the yoke and was determined to switch it to a round wheel. Even had several links to the websites I would purchase from and prepared to get familiar with how to remove the yoke...

8 months later and I have to admit that I'm GLAD i didn't touch it. It really comes down to habit to be frank. Drove a rental car with a round steering wheel and it was too damn cumbersome, had to re-add a mental guess (to an extent) of where the wheels were turned so I could make corrections, meanwhile with the yoke, I am much more comfortable AND never ever have to bother where the wheels are pointed at; and as others mentioned, going back to stalks require a divided attention whereas I could just use my thumb with the yoke. At this point it's second nature

Drove a pre-refresh Model S and felt the same thing: "damn i miss the yoke" LMAO

To be frank, most people who complain about it are just not used to it, and we all know that people are generally reluctant to change, especially in habit.
I can do 3-point turns, one handed complete rotation and have complete control with the yoke

I used to dislike the yoke and was determined to switch it to a round wheel. Even had several links to the websites I would purchase from and prepared to get familiar with how to remove the yoke...

8 months later and I have to admit that I'm GLAD i didn't touch it. It really comes down to habit to be frank. Drove a rental car with a round steering wheel and it was too damn cumbersome, had to re-add a mental guess (to an extent) of where the wheels were turned so I could make corrections, meanwhile with the yoke, I am much more comfortable AND never ever have to bother where the wheels are pointed at; and as others mentioned, going back to stalks require a divided attention whereas I could just use my thumb with the yoke. At this point it's second nature

Drove a pre-refresh Model S and felt the same thing: "damn i miss the yoke" LMAO

To be frank, most people who complain about it are just not used to it, and we all know that people are generally reluctant to change, especially in habit.
I can do 3-point turns, one handed complete rotation and have complete control with the yoke

“Thanks for the love!” ❤️. - Mr/Ms Yoke

🤣

Reactions: misc3r
There's no reason to cross your arms. People do that for views online. Go watch people use the yoke on tracks, it works fine in tight turns. The brakes on the other hand...
I live in the mountains, on my main road there are no real tight hairpin turns, and i love the yoke. You need to handle it differently than a normal steering wheel. I drop my opposite hand down, - drop left hand on right hand turns - (and i keep my hands close to the 3-9 o'clock positions. Never over and up (bc there is nothing to hold onto.) The yoke allows me to brace my grip through the turns (granted I'm not a race driver at 100 mph turns, i've done over 70+ mph through 30 mph turns.) That way i hold my line. The yoke and tesla combo is a blast! Plus: great visibility and easy holding on long straight freeway runs.

I live in the mountains, on my main road there are no real tight hairpin turns, and i love the yoke. You need to handle it differently than a normal steering wheel. I drop my opposite hand down, - drop left hand on right hand turns - (and i keep my hands close to the 3-9 o'clock positions. Never over and up (bc there is nothing to hold onto.) The yoke allows me to brace my grip through the turns (granted I'm not a race driver at 100 mph turns, i've done over 70+ mph through 30 mph turns.) That way i hold my line. The yoke and tesla combo is a blast! Plus: great visibility and easy holding on long straight freeway runs.
this is brilliant!

you slide your hands in the most efficient way and don't keep them fixed in the same position while turning, getting all crossed up???

insanity

Reactions: jebinc