Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theft Of Components Off My Model S @ Cleveland Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Elon Musk,
Or Whom it may concern in upper management of Tesla motors... "PLEASE READ TO THE END and do not discard" This is concerning theft of components from my brand new car... and 158 mile joyride destroying the wheels and tires on the passenger side of the vehicle... and tearing up the titanium front protection plate...

This letter is concerning your service center in Cleveland Ohio...

My name is Joe Rinke, I am the owner of "A beautiful model S 90D" with 9,480 miles on it.
below is a photo of the mileage of the car on July 17 2017 the day of pick up for service to your Cleveland service center which from this point on we will refer to as (CSC)... The photo below is only to verify mileage and software update as of July 17, 2017... prior to pick up from my home located in Michigan... to (CSC)...

The reason for service to CSC...

On three occasions I had called tech-support while driving down the road from Florida back to Michigan regarding the air conditioning intermittent operation... tech-support went through several checks over the phone with me and was unable to diagnose this issue/problem at the time... they were very pleasant people to deal with, I must say...

Sometime around the first week of July, I was contacted by CSC regarding my air conditioning situation and was set up with an appointment to have my car picked up and looked at to see if they could diagnose the issue or reproduce the issue and get it fixed for me... The scheduled pick up date was for July 17, 2017... I was contacted by a young lady named Michelle... who seemed pleasant... During the conversation with Michelle... I had mentioned that I had a windshield on hold for me under warranty at the West Palm Beach dealership. When I originally bought the car my windshield came in with a defect... and was to be replaced under warranty... but at the time was on back order/none in stock. She stated no problem, she would have it shipped up to CSC and put in for installation at the same time they were checking the AC issue... my response was awesome, two birds with one stone...

During the conversation I also notified Michelle that there was no rush on the repairs- just make sure everything is right/correct... On June 10th I fell from a 20 foot ladder shattering both feet and would be laid up until the end of October... and would not be able to drive the car anyway... so I thought, what perfect timing for the service... and she agreed so we commenced with the scheduling.

So the car was picked up and inspected with the The driver on the morning of July 17, 2017... at approximately 10:30 AM... drivers first name was Brandon... He was a very nice gentleman... we went over every issue and then some(made written notes of which I have copies of) on the car before it left my residence... we addressed three issues of concern which are listed below....

1. Air conditioning interruptions after supercharging... "only when temperatures are above 100°"
2. Replacement of windshield under warranty...
3. Fogging tail lights after heavy rain or car wash... in other words- water entering tail lights and trunk lid leaking into tail light areas and grab handles... The car was then loaded and taken to (CSC)...

Car was returned approximately a week or so later...

1. Windshield was replaced under warranty but Met with a bit of hassle... the gentleman's name was Kody... from CSC asking me how I was going to pay for the windshield... I simply told him it was marked under warranty the day I took delivery or within a few days of delivery of the car on December 13 of 2016... from the dealership in Florida and that I should not have to pay anything because it was warrantied by the Florida service center... and to call them to verify...
2. The AC issue was looked at but was said to have found no solution or any indication by the computer system indicating failure or indication of fault... so in other words an unsolved mystery...?
3. Taillights and leakage of tailgate were never addressed or looked at... there was no indication of any service whatsoever regarding this issue...( Prior to leaving my home a small piece of clear tape was placed on each of the tail lights to see if they were truly serviced... tape was never removed or broken from the body or lights to indicate any service whatsoever in that area...)
4. The car was also returned to me with an additional 150+ miles on the odometer... my question is how does this happen when it's taken down to CSC on a flatbed...? I followed my car by the app on my Iphone... shortly after arrival to (CSC) the computer system was shut down so that my Iphone App. would not see the location or any activity of the vehicle...
5. Also the car was returned with the original AC front seats removed and replaced with a much older set of unworking seats... which appear to have at least 50,000+ miles on them and the AC not working along with wires being cut beneath the seats and wiring harnesses not reattached in their proper location... As if they were removed in haste... Both seats had extreme wear & tear on them ... now mind you, my car only has 9,480 miles on it... and the seats were in brand new, perfect working condition when the vehicle was transported from my residence... we have at least 30 photos showing all the damage to the car after being returned from (CSC)...(not able to load all of them on here..)
6. The car was also returned with excessive curb rash on both passenger side tires and rims/wheels...
7. I have been the only driver of this vehicle since purchased brand new, I do not even let my wife drive it... also there has NEVER been any passengers in the backseat... but the car was returned to me with dirty rear floor mats and sesame seed crumbs as if somebody was eating fast food in the back seat... ( I have NEVER EVEN EATEN ANYTHING in my car...EVER!)
8. It appears somebody took the car out for a Joyride... and beat the hell out of it...possibly damaging internal components, running the front of the car and the titanium plate over a curb hard enough to bend the protection plate... at the same time tearing up the right side tires and wheels... The titanium plate was discovered by accident... I had just had the front of the car wrapped with the clearcoat to protect the paint and all of the clearcoat was hanging from the front bumper and still is...
9. The car was returned to me with 158 additional miles on it... along with all the above listed damage...

So in short, somebody from CSC took my car out for a joyride obviously with multiple passengers... beat the hell out of it damaging the right side of the vehicle...possibly damaging internal components ... placing an additional 158 miles on the car... removing both front seats and replacing them with non working worn used ones... never serviced the tail lights as requested... or addressed the leak in that local area... also when the windshield was replaced it was never calibrated with the cameras and caused the car to drive severely to the left into oncoming traffic in auto pilot....& had fast food in it. I could go on and on of my disappointments with CSC... and the way my vehicle has been treated...

Photos are attached below... I also have more than an hour of audio conversation recorded with the (CSC)... regarding this disappointment in the service and in the way my car was returned...

I feel someone there purposely removed the seats and used them for someone else's car, hoping that I would not notice right away because of my condition...(unable to drive my car with broken feet)

This was my dream car. I love this car with everything in me. I hope that you (ElonMusk/Upper Management) can see a way to contact me to resolve this issue in some manner or another... Each of My family members owns a Tesla... and the ones that do not at the moment have a model three on order...

I can not express just how violated I feel over this abuse of my car and my trust in your Cleveland Service Center, which seems to be the only option for Michigan owners. The car sitting in my garage is not the car I purchased less then a year ago. I would never abuse my dream vehicle in the manner it was abused when in Cleveland. It is just not the same as it was before..not to mention the constant anguish wondering what else may have occurred & or damage unseen ? The CSC was never clear or upfront when discussing the service they did &has treated me and my property with no regard and complete disrespect.

Sincerely, Joe Rinke
844DFFF7-8B15-47CE-AD6F-7F81EF14AAE1.JPEG
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0635.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0643.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0636.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0637.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0639.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0670.PNG
IMG_0835.jpeg
844DFFF7-8B15-47CE-AD6F-7F81EF14AAE1.JPEG
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0635.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0643.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0636.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0637.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0639.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0670.PNG
IMG_0835.jpeg

Joyride, curb rash, food in the car, sounds plausible for any low-level person at the service center to do. Not sure why someone would steal your seats, sounds almost crazy. What the hell would they do with them?

Joe, Jon McNeill is on the forum frequently and you should PM him. He posts under JonMc (he's President of Global Sales and Service). Really sorry to hear about the condition of your car after service.

BTW, you have I think an hour to edit your post. I'd delete the photo with what I assume has your address on it, and add that usually people will blackout the beginning part of their Vin--the last set of digits, and maybe only show the last 3. Don't know if it's necessary for us to see. If you read this too late, see if a moderator can help you. Hope you and your car are in a better way soon.

PS we have a 75D, same color and with the same ventilated seats and just love them, along with our car. Hope those get fixed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
Joyride, curb rash, food in the car, sounds plausible for any low-level person at the service center to do. Not sure why someone would steal your seats, sounds almost crazy. What the hell would they do with them?
Yes, it is crazy, but considering I have the limited a/c seats that are no longer available..brand new in my car..& it was returned with old, worn sun faded, unworking a/c seats (clearly not my original new seats in a garage kept car with under 10,000 miles) Trust me, I couldn't believe it myself.. Looking at the seats my car was returned with made me want to vomit. Obviously someone needed new seats & you can't get these seats any more. Whether it was a friend of a service person or the person himself. Who does this anyway?? How would you like to have your vehicle returned with different components then when it left your residence? There was no reason for my seats to be touched period, least removed and replaced with seats that have obvious wear and tear not possible for the amount of time I have owned & driven my car. This happened, whether you believe it or not. I wish it hadn't. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Also the car was returned with the original AC front seats removed

That is all just insane. But one little point, that really doesn't matter, is that they aren't AC seats. There is no AC, or hookup to the AC system, in the seats. They are just ventilated. (They have a fan the sucks air through the seat surface and blows it out under the seat.)

I hope @JonMc can get in touch with you, help figure out what went wrong, and how to make it right for you.

What would you really like them to do?
  • Replace the damaged tires/wheels.
  • Replace the seats with new ventilated seats while repairing the wiring harness.
  • A full detailing of the car.
  • Fix the AC issue that they didn't get to.
  • Investigate/fix the water intrusion in the rear.
The other interesting thing is that I find it interesting that you expected them to fail since you put tape on the taillights to see if they worked on them. (I don't think many people do that.)