Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theft Of Components Off My Model S @ Cleveland Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This brings to mind a few issues.
  • Does the management at the service centers not know when cars are taken out and when they are returned?
  • Odometer reading verified when vehicles come and go?
  • Do Tesla employees not know who to communicate to in order to escalate issues like this so they suggest posting on the forums?
  • Are service centers too busy causing them to forget to make certain repairs, but not busy enough to allow 150 mi+ joyrides likely lasting several hours.
  • Is there camera footage of the shop floor?
These seem like problems with relatively straightforward fixes. There might even already be policy in place that was simply not enforced. There are still so very few service centers but I if I were in your shoes I don't know that I'd feel comfortable returning to the same one unless I know corrective action was taken (criminal charges if the seats were indeed stolen) and assurances that it would never happen again.

• Helpful
Reactions: PeterHG
I agree with the earlier suspicion about the seats. I don't think they "stole" them, I think they probably damaged them, then swapped them out and hoped you wouldn't notice. And yeah, if there's a serial number on the seats, that'd definitely be a way to prove that they're not the same.

Joe,

Any relation to Ed Rinke (in Michigan)...runs a bunch of car dealerships in Michigan?

I would hire probably hire a lawyer and demand you get your car back in it's original state and defect free. Joy riding in Teslas is a sad reality from many SCs. I would accept nothing from Tesla other than the car returned 100% as you left it with them. Anything less is unacceptable.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
If I were you, I will ask them to take the car back and refund all the money, who knows what other parts may be swapped and affecting safety...

It looks like there is no process and no one is checking when the car begins and ends service, who is working on which service order .. why it takes longer, why the seats are swapped out and where did the old parts come from - not sure they keep track of the seats serial # get installed with the car initially. They should at least fix it 100% and put it in writing as to why and what happened,... nothing less.

Just as a sanity check, here is my drivers seat at ~29k miles:

drivers%20seat%2029k.jpg

Reactions: zmarty
My. God....

I would've called the police and filed a report on the spot--this is criminal at worst, highly immoral at best. After that, I'd of escalated it to the moon. Man I would've brought the roof down on that SC. You work too hard for this stuff for that to happen to you. Best of luck—that's BS.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Come on... I guess I'll be "that guy" again... You people can't possibly buy this story can you??? I mean seriously, come on... We're expected to believe that a Tesla, company owned, service center stole a customers seats and did such a poor job they damaged wiring in the process? Sounds like as the comments have went on more of you are seeing this for what it likely is... Wow... :)

Just when you think you've seen it all here... :)

Jeff