Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

These emergency escape hammers fit perfectly in the rear cupholder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the rear doors don’t have manual releases, I wanted to get one of those emergency escape hammers for the rear passengers in case the front doors become wedged. Picked these up for $6 from Home Depot, but the question was - where to mount it? It comes with screws but there was no way I was going to drill into my interior. Turns out, it’s basically a perfect fit in the center armrest cupholder:

882F157F-6550-435A-8759-E4C734E91825.jpeg

If there is ever a bad accident and the car is hit hard enough that may become a projectile. Those things are fastened to the car for a reason.

Fair enough, though at least the bracket these ones ship with isn’t going to be any more secure than it being wedged in the cup holders.

Those tools are not that effective in most new cars because of laminated windows.

AAA Regarding Vehicle Escape Tools

So I guess we should just sit there and die? I looked over the AAA full report and it unfortunately doesn’t make any recommendation if you have laminated side windows, just to understand what you have. They tested a large emergency responder tool but recommend against that because it requires special training.

Tesla's do not (yet) have laminated rear side windows so this would work in theory, but I agree with others that there is a near-zero chance of ending up stuck in the back seat due to a complete electrical failure combined with total mechanical failure of both front doors, yet somehow remembering that the hammer had once been in that cupholder prior to being flung out in the crash.

The scuba system suggested by @Midnightsun is a much more practical use of that space.

There are rear door releases in the model 3 they just aren't something that you can get to very quickly in an emergency if you look in the door pocket you'll see a little panel that needs to be flipped open inside there is what you have to pull to release the door.