Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They are NOT messing around when they say AutoPilot is Highway only. (Be CAREFUL!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove on a highway today and was using AutoPilot, when the highway decided it was now a road with an lighted intersection. Well, as soon as the median to my left went away as I approached the intersection at speed, the car wanted to run right into the middle of the intersection, veering left. Thankfully I was driving "paranoid" today with my hands lightly gripping the wheel the whole time. Do NOT ever use AutoPilot near intersections.

This isn't a bug, mind you. They tell you it's for highway use only. But sometimes, highways have street-like intersections. AutoPilot gets confused and does not stay on the "straight and narrow".

Be safe out there.

Thankfully I was driving "paranoid" today with my hands lightly gripping the wheel the whole time.
You mean thankfully you were following the instructions that Tesla provided, and the warning they made you click through to enable it.
You're right, this isn't a bug, this is clearly stated expected behaviour.

Glad you were using the AP responsibly and nobody was hurt, a more negligent driver could have caused some carnage.

You mean thankfully you were following the instructions that Tesla provided, and the warning they made you click through to enable it.
You're right, this isn't a bug, this is clearly stated expected behaviour.

Glad you were using the AP responsibly and nobody was hurt, a more negligent driver could have caused some carnage.

So far day 1 has apparently produced a few close encounters or "teachable moments". Let's hope everyone stayed safe.

Tesla needs to update their database/software immediately to turn the AP off a good 1000 feet prior to these types of freeway-ends-to-a-stoplight junctions. Yellow/red light and stop sign detection should have been in 7.0 before public release. At the very least it should have a mandatory chime as you approach a stoplight or stop sign. I'm calling it #tbonegate. As an investor this scares me.

These types of problems could honestly be solved with simple GPS location combined with a database. Stop signs don't randomly move.

Tesla needs to update their database/software immediately to turn the AP off a good 1000 feet prior to these types of freeway-ends-to-a-stoplight junctions. Yellow/red light and stop sign detection should have been in 7.0 before public release. At the very least it should have a mandatory chime as you approach a stoplight or stop sign. I'm calling it #tbonegate. As an investor this scares me.

These types of problems could honestly be solved with simple GPS location combined with a database. Stop signs don't randomly move.
All that would have mean is more delay before release. Tesla already made it clear the autopilot does not stop for lights or stop signs (OP was aware of that). It is the driver's responsibility to stop in this case, and if they can't figure out how to stop in that case (not aware free way ends), then they could have potentially gotten into an accident even without autopilot.

The EyeQ3 processor used for Autopilot has the announced capability to recognize traffic signals and stop signs through the forward camera. It's a matter of the software being switched on.

Side note: Other potential features supported (without needing a hardware upgrade) include pedestrian detection and the ability to use the rear-view camera to monitor fast approaching cars for a safer lane change. Tesla may never choose to use the rear-camera for this purpose, but the EyeQ3 supports it. Between this and the "cloud learning," the 1.0 sensor suite has a lot of room to grow through software upgrades.

The EyeQ3 processor used for Autopilot has the announced capability to recognize traffic signals and stop signs through the forward camera. It's a matter of the software being switched on.

Side note: Other potential features supported (without needing a hardware upgrade) include pedestrian detection and the ability to use the rear-view camera to monitor fast approaching cars for a safer lane change. Tesla may never choose to use the rear-camera for this purpose, but the EyeQ3 supports it. Between this and the "cloud learning," the 1.0 sensor suite has a lot of room to grow through software upgrades.

Do you know for a fact, that Tesla's MobilEye supports using Tesla's rear camera? It would be great if it does.

Thanks for the heads up.

However, I suspect it's all a matter of getting used to. When I started using TACC I was unpleasantly suprised it didn't recognize the car in front of me standing still before the traffic light. It almost ran into it, and I had to manually brake. Later on, I learned why the TACC behaved like this and it made perfectly sense. Now I know to avoid those scary moments...

I guess the same thing will happen with AP. I will keep my hands (lightly) on the wheel, exactly as Tesla says I should...

No. Absolutely not. No way. No. Did I mention no?

I didn't buy a nanny-state car. If I want to drive it in the city, I should be able to drive it in the city, knowing it's limitations.

NO!!!!

Stop sign and stop light recognition are certainly possible and I'm sure they have it. Unfortunately, it probably works 99.5% of the time, which isn't good enough yet. Not stopping for a traffic control can be a disaster. People are "testing the limitations of the system", and testing the limitations of the traffic control system recognition can be devastating.

I suspect they will end up with a recognition notification system, something like the speed limit sign recognition. When it sees a stop sign or stoplight, it will put a little stop sign symbol. If you don't see that symbol, you'd better take over. At this beta level, Tesla decided to just eliminate that feature so that the driver will be alert at intersections.

This whole thing is like walking a legal tightrope in a dark room. Tesla will add capabilities as they are tested and mature enough to be at least semi-safe.

"When I started using TACC I was unpleasantly suprised it didn't recognize the car in front of me standing still before the traffic light. It almost ran into it, and I had to manually brake"

This feature works fine for me but it does wait too long to start stopping. I set the TACC to 7 and it's not so bad.

No they don't. I don't need a label on my coffee telling me it's hot and I don't need a nanny controlling the AP in my car. I've used it safely both on freeways and surface streets including through intersections and it works quite well, but I'm there to take over, not a nanny device, if it doesn't.

I wonder if there was this much hysteria when cruise control was introduced. Of course there was a lot more personal responsibility then and a lot less lawyers.

One wonders if the CPU has the capability of processing two video feeds.

Well, the EyeQ3 is the processor for Autopilot and it does have the power. This isn't to be confused with the Tegra which powers the displays. The question is if Tesla intends to use the sensor or has the ability to route the rear camera through the EyeQ3 for Autopilot OR they're somehow using the EyeQ3 in different ways, maxing it out with custom software.

Well, the EyeQ3 is the processor for Autopilot and it does have the power. This isn't to be confused with the Tegra which powers the displays. The question is if Tesla intends to use the sensor or has the ability to route the rear camera through the EyeQ3 for Autopilot OR they're somehow using the EyeQ3 in different ways, maxing it out with custom software.

Is this confirmed they are using the EyeQ3 and not an earlier version?

I wonder if there was this much hysteria when cruise control was introduced. Of course there was a lot more personal responsibility then and a lot less lawyers.

That would be pre-internet. Pre-internet there wasn't this much hysteria over ANYTHING.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Is this confirmed they are using the EyeQ3 and not an earlier version?
. . .

- - - Updated - - -

The CEO of Mobileye stated: "Tesla announced plans to provide all of its Model S cars with full ADAS functionality, which also includes our camera technology running on our EyeQ3 chip."

"plans to provide" does not equal "are using."