Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things that could be improved on your 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I hate that Model 3 owners have to resort to these things... there's an easy fix for that. Need to replace a spring with a lighter one. There's videos on youtube and threads around here too for details. Need to dig a bit to find one.
Thanks for the heads up. I went and browsed the thread on here about the spring, and it looks a complex subject matter- questions around safety and some springs don't have the force to pop the hood high enough, so think I will make do for now!
Update regarding wipers - Elon is listening;

Elon Musk on Twitter
Our prayers have been heard. I hope it can be made as reliable as a typical rain sensor.

Agree on the wipers. Even if it was like +15% more wiping, it would more or less work satisfactorily. Even in pishing wet weather it seems to always come on less than needed. Good to see Elon apparently aware (although I wonder if anyone else is actually listening).

Reactions: adsheff
Well there is a Speed Limit Mode on the app...

You can only set it there though.. no way to do it from the stalk, and it has wierd limitations like can't set it lower than 50mph.

A speed limiter is great if you've just come off a motorway and your sense of speed is fubar, for example. It's something I used to use pretty frequently on the leaf.

Reactions: Cogarch
(with love- Oxford is my spiritual home;))
Whilst the OP listed many many points about many aspects of the Model 3, since then, in 66 posts, 55 have been about the wipers.
What did Tesla expect when they started exporting to the UK?
As the song says, It Never Rains in California....
Enjoy that car. Especially on blue sky days :)

Anyone tried the speed limit alarm? I thought I'd have the craic today and test it. Unlike the Waze alarm that goes of once when you exceed the limit the M3 continues until you BACK OFF PUNK! I'll see how long I can live with it but I have to say - it does its job - I slow down :D

1/ Wipers when set to a fixed speed should keep those options at the bottom of the display until you set back to either off or auto
2/ Auto lane change when using steering assist should be included as part of basic autopilot, it's jarring to keep dropping out each time you switch lanes to overtake
3/ Old mode - make the fonts bigger particularly in navigation instructions for those with failing eyesight as mentioned by many others

Anyone tried the speed limit alarm? I thought I'd have the craic today and test it. Unlike the Waze alarm that goes of once when you exceed the limit the M3 continues until you BACK OFF PUNK! I'll see how long I can live with it but I have to say - it does its job - I slow down :D

Edit - If you didn't know, I didn't until this afternoon, you can drive through the warning bongs, you get 4 in sequence, then it stops until you pass upwards through the limit again or a new limit. No need for improvement, works well.

what you describe as maximum speed mode is TACC in the M3, no? I love the fact that it defaults to the current speed limit and that means you don't have to look at anything more than the screen's speed limit sign to check it's correct (as it's not always).
No, TACC is not the same as a maximum speed mode! With max speed mode you control your speed with the accelerator - it won’t allow a higher speed. Although TACC is very useful (when working as it should - maybe some day!) it’s not suitable for many situations, here’s where max speed would be superior.

(with love- Oxford is my spiritual home;))
Whilst the OP listed many many points about many aspects of the Model 3, since then, in 66 posts, 55 have been about the wipers.
What did Tesla expect when they started exporting to the UK?
As the song says, It Never Rains in California....
Enjoy that car. Especially on blue sky days :)
Where were the Portland contingent when we needed them?

Just to see if we can make it 100 wiper posts... Anyone else feel a bit conspicuous when you get in the car and their is rain on the windscreen, and the car insists on clearing it on max speed for a little longer than comfortable.

I wish the button for the hazard lights was located on the steering wheel where it would be more accessible. Sometimes I spend too long looking for the switch to indicate a thank you to people who have given way for me to cut in front of them.

Reactions: Christiez
Now that Mr Musk is personally reprogramming the wipers - my next biggest gripe is the speed limits. It has a lot of them wrong - so you have to be very careful on TACC mode as the car can accelerate up to 50 in 30 zones, or vice versa. Need a way to crowd-source the data perhaps.

Reactions: freekie
Need a way to crowd-source the data perhaps.

Tesla won’t want manually entered human data as this is against their ‘vision’ that automated driving is already possible, however I’m sure they would happily aggregate vehicle visually-detected speed sign data.

The cars can already read speed signs, but they don’t act of the data currently. I’d like to see this on the Tesla to do list, but only after wipers are sorted.

I agree with a lot of what's been said. My top gripes:

The auto wipers are really poor, worse than anything I've driven in the past 15 years. Am constantly activating them with the stalk button.

The gloss black trim. Looks great on day one, after that it's a complete pain in the backside. We really need choices here. Why can't we have something that matches the panel across the dashboard?

The TACC is poor, nowhere near as smooth as the VAG system in my experience.

Having to re-engage autopilot every time I change lanes - which is often in the UK.

The base of the front seats seem a bit short to me and the seats lack any side support - the "leather" is very slippery.

The controls for the ventilation system are in my view dangerous to use on the move. I still believe these are best operated with physical controls. In other cars I've been able to adjust the temperature and airflow direction without taking my eyes off the road. At the very least there should be a larger button that brings up a window with much larger touch controls.

Not being able to call the Service Centre when your car is booked in for a service - ridiculous!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6502
The auto wipers are really poor, worse than anything I've driven in the past 15 years. Am constantly activating them with the stalk button.

The controls for the ventilation system are in my view dangerous to use on the move.

I feel there is a combination of the two - the auto-wipers are rubbish and wiper manual controls are positioned very low on the screen and are difficult to control using periphery vision. You have to stare at the little box and click a separate virtual button for the various speeds - no swiping without looking. Better UI for wiper manual controls would improve user experience a lot.

I agree with a lot of what's been said. My top gripes:

Having to re-engage autopilot every time I change lanes - which is often in the UK.

The controls for the ventilation system are in my view dangerous to use on the move. I still believe these are best operated with physical controls. In other cars I've been able to adjust the temperature and airflow direction without taking my eyes off the road. At the very least there should be a larger button that brings up a window with much larger touch controls.

The change lanes feature is an optional extra. If you buy it, you can use it.

The second point - I'm not sure how often you really need to change the air direction, but if you need to, just pop the autopilot on for a minute so it can take care of the driving. That IMO is the best thing about the M3 - just how safe it is. Fiddling with anything in any car takes your eyes and hands off the road, the difference is the Model 3 can drive without you!