Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about getting a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maybe_Y

Jun 8, 2024
UK
Hi all

I currently have a Mercedes C class and thinking to upgrade to a Model Y.

Never had an electric car before.

We are a family of 4 with two kids under 10.

Welcome your thoughts on how you’ve felt with a Model Y and points you wish you knew before you bought one!

Anything I should be looking out for when buying? Thinking to get a used one rather than new.

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Dangaurd_Ace
Regarding electric cars in general: how much driving do you do, and do you have a place to install a home charger?

Regarding the Model Y: we love our Model Y, and though there are just the two of us, there should be plenty of room for 4 plus lots of stuff. Since you’re looking at used cars, learn about the differences between the cars you’re considering and new ones. Unlike other automakers, Tesla doesn’t make changes based on model years, they do it during the year, so the model year isn’t enough to tell you what you’re getting.

I had a Model S and now I have a Model Y. As I recall the Mercedes C is a “sedan” while the Y is a small SUV. It has a hatch back which is great for carrying things and it can also tow up to 3,500 lbs. And the standard version goes like a bad out of hell! I suggest you grab the wife and kids and go for a test drive to see how it “fits” your facmily. While there I would also check out the Model X, which is bigger.

Tesla’s require almost zero maintenance and as long as you charge at home the “fuel” cost is a fraction of what it is for an ICE car, in my case it is about 20% of an equivalent ICE car. But if you cannot charge at home then any EV is probably not a good choice. The cost of charging in public is a lot more and is far less convenient. If this is you then do a lot more homework to see if it makes sense.

Traveling in an ICE car is a no brainer, you just hop in and go! With EVs you must plan where to stop, how often to stop and how long will each stop take. Many people take trips in the Teslas, so it is absolutely doable, but it is not a no brainer.

Quality wise I wouldn't call it an upgrade. The fit and finish of the Mercedes is going to be far ahead of the MY.

However, as a daily car for a family with small kids, the MY is going to be very cost efficient in terms of gas and maintenance. Great for road trips as well using FSD subscription. As a first EV a Tesla's value proposition is a no brainer. If you can cash in the end of quarter deals it makes it sweeter. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: Dangaurd_Ace
With the 60 months at 1.99% interest, $7,500 IRA discount, End of Quarter 5% rebate...

I would recommend getting a new Model Y (mostly because of the 4 and 8 year Tesla waranty).

Also the 7-seat option is $1,000 instead of $2,000 if you combine with one color option (interior or exterior)

Hi all

I currently have a Mercedes C class and thinking to upgrade to a Model Y.

Never had an electric car before.

We are a family of 4 with two kids under 10.

Welcome your thoughts on how you’ve felt with a Model Y and points you wish you knew before you bought one!

Anything I should be looking out for when buying? Thinking to get a used one rather than new.

Thanks
We have had our MY for a month now - other cars are a Audi and Porsche. The Tesla is just...different. Definitely a different build quality but also cool in so many ways. We've taken it on a 700 mile round trip and it has become our daily around-town car. My wife loves it much more than she expected - we now call 'dibs' on who gets to drive it. As for room - our sons are well over 6' and they fit comfortably in the back. A Level 2 charger in our garage make is much more convenient. The long drive was easier than we expected - and we don't have enough experience to avoid range anxiety yet.
Used: I'd say the usual caveats. Look for signs of damage even if the Carfax is clear. Ask why the owner is selling and then ask yourself if that seems true. Be wary of mods to the suspension etc. And low mileage is better. We looked for a used car but in the end bought new as I couldn't find the combo we were seeking.
Good luck with the hunt...and don't be surprised when it's more fun than you expected.

My wife did exactly as you are considering in April - she sold her C300 and bought a LR model Y. Contrary to some of the above, she considers it an upgrade. Especially likes being up higher and not having to visit gas stations any more. The C300's small cockpit, funky (literally) HCAC system, noise/vibration, and limited visability all have been mitigated with the Y. Ben two months, she says she loves it.

Reactions: Gigga
Whilst not a maintenance pit like Mercedes, you’re going to be let down by the suspension alone in the Y, among other things, like no parking sensors and radar means no rear cross traffic alert, no 360 camera, no cooled seats, no driver cluster, no heads up display, no blind spot mirror, no CarPlay, etc. The list gets awfully long. Model Y is a to be taxicab at this point. A fancy one, sure. But still headed to become a taxicab.

Infotainment wise it is still going to be way more fun so you won’t miss CarPlay. Driving wise, too, it’s one of the, if not the most refined electric car out there with great charging infrastructure and reliability. It is also a very fast car compared to 90% other cars around you if not more and drives way better than what its size may suggest.

But, it is a spartan vehicle with many features I mentioned missing. Only you can decide what matters to you and what does not.

Last edited:
I have had my MYLR for 3-1/2 years and frankly love the car. Yes it is a tad utilitarian inside, but that doesn't bother me at all. Driving an EV is a whole new experience, and, being a person that likes to drive fast, it is great. While it does not have some of the creature comforts that the MB or an equivalent car has, some of its features make up a lot of ground overall. Our other car is a BMW, and while the Bimmer is more of a driving experience, the Tesla holds its own very well. The self-steering on the Tesla is far better than the system on the BMW. There are lots of little features of the software that I really like.

As for space, it is plenty big for 4 or five large people.

You don't say where you live, but if you live in the U.S., the tax credit would be worth looking into for buying a new car.

Let us know what you decide.

I just hit 4 years and 48K with mine, previous M3 and Beemers for a while before that - love my MY. Almost zero maintenance, no dealership crap, charge at home or superchargers on trips (trips are easy, just completed a 3800 miles Yellowstone/Denver trip, many before that), tons of cargo space, fast, fun to drive, etc... Don't expect sublime lux ride or to be pampered, aside from that you can't go wrong I'll never go back to ICE :cool: .

I’d honestly not recommend the 7 seater to anyone at any price. Eats storage space and the seats are positively useless.
7 seater for $1000 is a great add on. It barely removes any storage and is great for short distance needs (quick drive out to dinner with grandparents and kids in one vehicle, taking a handful of kids to and from soccer practice, etc)

Reactions: JstNotOnImpact
The comments above are excellent. Some additional thoughts:

Build quality is apparently variable. I bought a MY LR in January 2024 and it was delivered perfect, no issues, though I understand that some folks have had other experiences.

Someone described the interior as utilitarian. I would say, clean, uncomplicated.

Don't know much about Mercedes. The Y does have road feel, it reminds me of a sports car in that regard. I like it, you might not. Handling is great and feedback from the road is welcome from my perspective. Tons of acceleration available, and chill mode if you have passengers.

As to usefulness, the Y certainly provides the "U" in SUV. A family of four would be easy.

Aside from being a great handling, fun to drive car, there is virtually no maintenance, compared to an obsolete gas or diesel car, with concomitant savings and no complex drive train to break down. If you can charge at home the fuel costs are trivial.

i would wait for the refresh. The new model 3 is substantially improved, as will be the next Y. Ride in particular is stunningly better.

I love ours, but it’s local / short range trip optimal. For anything over 100 miles trip management, at least to some degree, is required.

I’m on solar, so for me the cost benefit is substantial. This is not true for everybody.

Size wise y is a nice improvement over c class (memory, been a while).

Don't know much about Mercedes. The Y does have road feel, it reminds me of a sports car in that regard. I like it, you might not. Handling is great and feedback from the road is welcome from my perspective. Tons of acceleration available, and chill mode if you have passengers.

It almost reminds me of how BMW salesmen used to market their cars saying how their cars “meet the road” / “connect with the road”. Essentially, they were perhaps talking about the stiffer, sportier, lowered suspension on their cars. Whereas cars like Lexus / Mercedes tout floaty cushy softer suspensions. It’s a different customer base for each type. Adaptive suspension seeks to reduce pressure the divide a little bit in some cases.

I leased a Model Y Performance. I did a two year lease in the expectation that the Juniper will be out by then and with a full year of build experience in the factory.

I’ve taken it from Naples FL to Yonkers NY and back with the supercharger experience being absolutely seamless.

It’s a different road trip mindset. I intentionally searched superchargers along my route that would have decent places to eat. Those stops I turned into a long stop for that day. Rest assured about the navigation stopping you for X amount of time. It’s keeping the battery in a range that allows for the quickest charge times for the overall quickest travel time and does that pretty well.

It’s been a breezy grocery getter, long distance road tripper, drag strip runner (1/8 mile so far) and will be out soon at a road course (Homestead)

I found my 2024 MYP to be MORE comfortable than the 2023 MYLR demo I tried. There was a certain harshness to the LR. Maybe they just finally figured out the right damper valve code and tire combo for the Performance lol.

Reactions: Dennisis