Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about trading X for S ... change my mind!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We went S to X, quickly back to S.

With the hatch, the S has incredible functional space imo. We preferred the X in such a small portion of our utilization, that we went back to the S.

For us, a part of this decision was getting a PHEV SUV for road trips. The X wasn’t a good enough road trip car in our opinion, so it’s value over the S was very limited.

I almost bought the X but as I drive alone 90% of the time, I went with the S. I love the looks and drive. The hatch functionality is major. I came from a SUV and this car has more storage, longer and wider too.
The few times I wish I had 6 or 7 seats, or more vertical storage, are offset by the better handling, acceleration, and aesthetics. Oh, and doors that open everywhere.

Reactions: serpico007
My first Tesla was a new X, we then bought a couple Performance S’s and a matching Performance 3 and we never looked back. We traded the X in on one of the S’s with the intention at the time of eventually getting another X but now unless they completely redesign the X it seems like the S does almost everything better unless you have more than 5 people to carry. The S has deceptive cargo room with the rear seats folded and if you like to drive quickly the S is much more efficient on the highway due to the more aerodynamic shape. The X has the rear doors that are a nice party trick to those who have never seen them but I always said that I would have preferred the X if it had normal doors and a matching cheaper price. If you need to tow something a gas SUV has a huge towing advantage over the X so we also purchased a new BMW X5 that is on another level of solid build quality plus a much more luxurious interior and supported by practically unneeded fantastic customer service. I’m thinking of trading our Performance 3 on a new Performance Y because I think it is a good cheaper substitute for the X. In my opinion the 3 could be a perfect car if it had an S style hatchback, I believe the missed the boat on that one detail.

Last edited:
We’ve itched for an X at times but keep thinking that the X outdoes the S in only one way: it’s a better people handler. Ingress/egress, comfortably seating six, headroom, etc. The S, with its huge, flat storage area and sleek looks, is a better all around vehicle for the 99% of the times we’re NOT on a road trip.

[QUOTE="Sunshine State, post: 4966650, member: In my opinion the 3 could be a perfect car if it had an S style hatchback, I believe the missed the boat on that one detail.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you on this. I would add that it would be nice if they had SAS as well on both 3 and y. If not standard then a paid upgrade like it was back in the day on a and x.

personally I think the S is sporty and sexy! mine has the rear facing seats so I can pop kids back there when we need the extra room for more adults. I always liked the X and thought it was a great car. But I LOVE the look of the S.

Interesting to hear about folks that went from S, to X, and then back again to S. I love our Raven S but can't help imagining how much better an LR Raven X would be for trips. We took a recent trip to Yellowstone and admit taking my parents' RX 350 was the better choice than the S due to more storage in the RX. I figure an LR X would be the best of both worlds. Only thing holding me back are the existing problems I still see in the X forum about FWD and weak AC.

I was super impressed by how well the Raven X rides now, much much better than pre-Raven. Still undecided between 6 vs 7 seater and our local SC only has 5/6-seaters to test drive.

Interesting to hear about folks that went from S, to X, and then back again to S. I love our Raven S but can't help imagining how much better an LR Raven X would be for trips. We took a recent trip to Yellowstone and admit taking my parents' RX 350 was the better choice than the S due to more storage in the RX. I figure an LR X would be the best of both worlds. Only thing holding me back are the existing problems I still see in the X forum about FWD and weak AC.

I was super impressed by how well the Raven X rides now, much much better than pre-Raven. Still undecided between 6 vs 7 seater and our local SC only has 5/6-seaters to test drive.
I would never buy another 6 seat X, the S has far more usable cargo capacity. We would take our S if we needed more cargo capacity due to the X’s fixed 2nd row. We also had an RX450h before our X. While I liked it as a starter hybrid/electric and it was a very nice road trip car, Tesla drive systems seem so much smoother. I also had a BMW i3 Rex and if Tesla had a small quiet range extender in the front like the BMW it would be an awesome addition because long road trips while fun are quite a bit longer with so many stops.

I would never buy another 6 seat X, the S has far more usable cargo capacity. We would take our S if we needed more cargo capacity due to the X’s fixed 2nd row. We also had an RX450h before our X. While I liked it as a starter hybrid/electric and it was a very nice road trip car, Tesla drive systems seem so much smoother. I also had a BMW i3 Rex and if Tesla had a small quiet range extender in the front like the BMW it would be an awesome addition because long road trips while fun are quite a bit longer with so many stops.

Thanks for sharing about 6-seater cargo limitations. I also don't like how little tilt is available for the second row seats in the 6-seater. In the RX we reclined the backseat way back to comfortably nap. I really missed the S on inclines because a loaded RX felt very sluggish as we gained elevation, not to mention struggling just to maintain 80 MPH speed limit through Nevada and Idaho.

I have a 2017 S, and a couple times I got an x loaner while it was in service. I was always glad to get back into S And preferred driving it much More. I’ve hauled all kinds of things in the back of my S, including 500 pounds of 2 x 4 rectangular steel for iron gates, and (separately) a set of Arachnid wheels and tires, NOT mounted. Also, at 6‘2“, the gull wing doors were a pain. I was constantly bending over to avoid them when open and the moment I forgot what wind up knocking my head. So yes, I’d get the S!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve