Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of placing the order...wanted expert insight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Just joined here. Been considering an EV for months and after a ton of consideration I think I'm going with the model 3. Was considering the Y but the price jump between the long rang 3 and the long range Y (currently about $8k) doesn't seem worth it to me. But I would LOVE some opinions if people have the time. A few last minute questions:

1. For those who have driven the Y and 3, how much bigger is the Y rear seat? I know it has a lot more storage but I think the 3 will work trunk wise. I also know the Y has a bigger back seat but my question is HOW MUCH of a differentiator is this in your experience. Is the 3 comfortable enough (Rear seat wise) that while it's smaller it's just fine or do you find yourself wishing you had gone with something bigger?

2. Keep seeing conflicting answers to this one. I have a 4 prong dryer outlet. Is there an adaptor (not the $500 charging add-on from Tesla) that will let me charge my model 3 using this 220 V outlet or am I stuck paying the $500?

3. Anyone doing mainly country driving? I have winding country roads and about a 15 mile commute. Wondering how much of that 350 range I'll realize at 30 miles a day or will it be closer to some other number (expecting less but HOPING it's not substantially less with this sort of driving).

3. Any regrets?

Opinions are appreciated....

Reactions: dmurphy
1. I’ll let some of the Y owners comment. I have a 3 and X, so can’t speak to y practicality.

2. Yes, there are adapters available. EVSEAdapters.com sells almost any kind you can think of.

3. Remember ABC; “Always be chargin’…” This isn’t like a gas car where you fill the tank and then refill it when you get down to fumes. When you’re home, just plug it in. That short of a commute is a no brainer.

Range is affected by so many parameters (they are in a gas car too, but gas engines are so inefficient anyway, you don’t notice.)
Everything from wind to temperature to driving speed to elevation changes to tire wear — all of those things matter, and a lot more. @AlanSubie4Life can give you all the detail on efficiency and range; he’s truly an expert at it.

All that is to say, with a 30 mile round trip commute, this is an absolute no brainer. When you get home, plug the car in and top it off. Every single morning, you’ll have a car with its full range available. Will be extremely easy for you.

You’ll love it —- and the sooner you can break your range anxiety (we all have it at first!!) the better. You get to a point where as long as you’re not going more than, say, 200 miles, you don’t even THINK about charging. It’s just not a concern because every single day, you’ve got the full range at your disposal.

Remember ABC and you’ll be fine!

4. regret. Yes. And a big one. Why didn’t I go electric sooner?

Reactions: Bouba
I haven't driven or been in a model Y, so I can only talk about my 2020 M3LR. First, it's the best, and most fun car I have ever driven.
Regarding charging, in 2020 my M3 came with a mobile connector included at no extra cost. I assume it still does. All I had to do was have an electrician install a 240 volt/50 amp line and I was all set to charge at the rate of 30 miles of range per hour of charge. That should be plenty for anyone. The cost of installation was $200, and I had to buy a Nema plug (I think it's a 14/50 plug) from Tesla for $35.

Reactions: XPsionic
1. If you think the TM3 trunk is plenty (it will hold a ton ... plus the frunk!), the rear seats are pretty roomy, though I haven't had any long distance sitting in them myself. I guess it depends if you've got tall 3rd/4th passengers all the time for a long durations. You're giving up a good bit of "sportiness" with the Y, if you don't need the cargo room.

2. The dryer outlet is a NEMA N14-30, that's 4 prong, 30 amp. A Tesla comes with a TMC, that's a Tesla Mobile Connector (technically these aren't "chargers", they're an EVSE), that's a lightweight/portable EVSE, allows for up to 32a charging - and it has modular plugs - so for $45 you can get a 14-30 adapter for the included EVSE/TMC, and use that dryer outlet:

You can see in the chart on that page that's a 21-22 miles/hour charge depending on the car. The drag is plugging/unplugging, you can get "smart" switchers that seem to work OK, or just manually swap it out (and extension helps with this).

I actually have one of these adapters, we've used it down at my BIL's house in NSB, worked great - nothing to set either, the adapter automatically configures the TMC for the proper spec.

3. Drive away, once you get a sense of power consumption, charge speeds, availability of chargers, etc., you'll kind of forget about all the charging concerns and just enjoy.

4. None. Came from a long line of cars, many high performance, it's a total reset of the driving/car ownership experience, that for us - after 5 months - is still fantastic.

Reactions: Tee Why
I haven't driven or been in a model Y, so I can only talk about my 2020 M3LR. First, it's the best, and most fun car I have ever driven.
Regarding charging, in 2020 my M3 came with a mobile connector included at no extra cost. I assume it still does. All I had to do was have an electrician install a 240 volt/50 amp line and I was all set to charge at the rate of 30 miles of range per hour of charge. That should be plenty for anyone. The cost of installation was $200, and I had to buy a Nema plug (I think it's a 14/50 plug) from Tesla for $35.

Yeah @fishacura , if you can swing a 50a circuit install, that makes things __way__ easier, no swapping plugs with the dryer (if that is actually in use), and 29-30 miles/hour with the included TMC plus either a N6-50 or N14-50 adapter.

You'd be limited by the TMC to 32a max, but would have some growth room for a 40a charger later on, that would simply be mounting it to the wall and plugging it in.

Install price is hugely dependent on distance from the breaker box, physical install issues and where you live. Like the poster above, we got a nice 50a circuit installed, parts and labor, certified electrician, for under $220. We share a single charger between two EVs (TM3 and a Wrangler 4xe).

The Model 3 is surprisingly roomier on the inside than it appears on the outside. It might be that not having an internal combustion engine (and all of the life support that comes with one) allows the front seats additional room. There is no drive shaft to make a "hump" on the floor for the rear seats, so that helps back there. I'm 5'10" 220lbs and sit comfortable in the back.

My daily commute is 60 miles. You'll have zero issues with range. Many plugs available. Best car ever.

Reactions: Bouba
I'll briefly comment on #1, though I do not have experience w/ Model Y. No one really sits in the back of my Model 3, but it's very upright and the floor is high, which may not be very comfortable. I don't know how that compares to the Y, but if backseat passenger comfort is really important to you, it'll be worth comparing in person if you can. It's not important in my case, so it doesn't bother me.

The Model 3 is surprisingly roomier on the inside than it appears on the outside.

Tardis_BBC_Television_Center.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba and BigNick
I was torn between the MY and the M3. You really need to test drive both before making a decision. I liked the higher seating position in the MY, but felt that the handling was flabby when comparing it to the M3. You mentioned driving mainly on winding country roads. For that kind of driving, I would want crisp handling. Just my thoughts - you will be able to finalize after driving both.

On point #3, "how much of that 350 mile range will I see driving on these roads?", the answer (as people have said already) is "there are a lot of variables here so we cant really tell you, but if thats your commute AND you can plug in every day (not "unplug your dryer to charge one night, then plan on driving 8 days before plugging into that dryer outlet again"), you will be fine.

From the two things you said, it appears to me that you are falling into the trap that many prospective EV owners do, and that is:

"Oh, this car has a 350 mile range. My commute is 30 miles a day. I can just plug in every 8-9 days and charge up, and have plenty left over" and it will NOT work like that AT ALL. Do NOT plan "Ill just plug into my dryer outlet every 8-9 days and work around it, so I dont have to do anything at all about charging). I have posted the "why wont it work that way" in several threads, and I can copy / paste one of those responses if you want.

If you are "heck bent" on only plugging in every few days because you want to share that dryer outlet, and dont want to buy stuff to make that convenient / electronic, plan on charging every 4-5 days, not 8-9 days. MUCH MUCH better would be to get some sort of outlet where you park, and simply plug in every night.

Also, dont plan on "Full self driving" option working well on what you call "country roads". Its really ment for freeways / multi lane highways, with all traffic going the same direction, regardless of what you currently see about "stoplight detection on city roads".

TL; DR, plan on plugging in daily (optimal) or every 4-5 days at maximum, not 8-9 days like you likely think you will do because "the car has 350 miles and I only drive 30 miles a day").

It really is a shift, and leaving every morning with "a full tank of fuel" (or thereabouts depending on what you set it to), really means that whether your car gets 350 miles, 325 miles or 275 miles on a full charge only matters when you are taking a road trip. Just add getting your charging sorted out to the list. The charger included with the car is fine, as long as you get an outlet to plug it into thats in the location you want to plug in. That dryer plug is fine, provided its (not indoors) and you are not planning on "unplugging the dryer every 9 days to charge, then plugging back in".

Last edited:
If you need to put full size adults in the back seat regularly, or for long drives, there's no question you need the Y. The backseat of the 3 is pretty horrible for any humans, especially anyone over 5'9". Just getting in and out through the door opening is painful compared to other cars like a Camry or Optima.

The Y is super roomy in the back seat, and your knees aren't above your head like the 3.

Fishacura, I don't think you'll find much in the way of negative comments in this forum. The fact we are members of this Tesla forum should tell you we are kind of fanatical about our cars. I personally had researched the M3P for a couple years before pulling the trigger and I'm glad I bought when I did. Heated steering wheel/chrome delete/improved headlights/heat pump, all things I heard were coming and all things I wanted. On the flip side, the cars are getting more expensive, it seems by the week, so if you are inclined and within the means you may want to consider making the move sooner rather than later. I did have the Level 2 Tesla charger installed in my garage, even though I have a dryer plug on the laundry room wall next to my garage I felt it easier this way in the event my wife decides to get a Tesla too. Not a perfect car, none are but I will never go back.

Hello all. Just joined here. Been considering an EV for months and after a ton of consideration I think I'm going with the model 3. Was considering the Y but the price jump between the long rang 3 and the long range Y (currently about $8k) doesn't seem worth it to me. But I would LOVE some opinions if people have the time. A few last minute questions:

1. For those who have driven the Y and 3, how much bigger is the Y rear seat? I know it has a lot more storage but I think the 3 will work trunk wise. I also know the Y has a bigger back seat but my question is HOW MUCH of a differentiator is this in your experience. Is the 3 comfortable enough (Rear seat wise) that while it's smaller it's just fine or do you find yourself wishing you had gone with something bigger?

2. Keep seeing conflicting answers to this one. I have a 4 prong dryer outlet. Is there an adaptor (not the $500 charging add-on from Tesla) that will let me charge my model 3 using this 220 V outlet or am I stuck paying the $500?

3. Anyone doing mainly country driving? I have winding country roads and about a 15 mile commute. Wondering how much of that 350 range I'll realize at 30 miles a day or will it be closer to some other number (expecting less but HOPING it's not substantially less with this sort of driving).

3. Any regrets?

Opinions are appreciated....
On 2, that sounds like a standard modern dryer outlet, a NEMA 14-30. You should be able to get an adapter for your Portable EVSE. Also, consider a Dryer Buddy, which will auto-switch the outlet, so you don't have to constantly plug in.

On 3, I drive 30 miles a day, backcountry, 50mph, and use 10% SOC. You should get the EPA rating, easily. That's really ideal.

Fishacura, I don't think you'll find much in the way of negative comments in this forum.

You would be surprised (or maybe not). Just like there are some here on this website who many would consider "evangelistical" regarding Tesla / Teslas, there are also quite a few people here who are hell bent on making sure anyone asking any question like this gets to hear their opinion on how awful tesla is. I suspect this thread will see both types of posters here shortly, actually.

Most people here are in the middle and reasonable, but there are definitely plenty who fall into one of those two categories above. You just have to learn how to spot both types, and then do with their point of view whatever you feel is appropriate.

pears to me that you are falling into the trap that many prospective EV owners do, and that is:

"Oh, this car has a 350 mile range. My commute is 30 miles a day. I can just plug in every 8-9 days and charge up, and have plenty left over" and it will NOT work like that AT ALL. Do NOT plan "Ill just plug into my dryer outlet every 8-9 days and work around it, so I dont have to do anything at all about charging). I have posted the "why wont it work that way" in several threads, and I can copy / paste one of those responses if you want.

That was definitely me - and I say this as someone who has friends who are long time Tesla owners (who talked about this with me over the years), as an engineer that tends to really analyze things - but as someone who drove ICE vehicles for a long time.

It's a hard concept to unlearn.

And I'd go so far as to say you can't and won't until you have the car in your possession. Then is slowly dawns on you, as you come and go, and as you're constantly "topped off", and as you drive past gas stations, and don't worry about "is the car ready", or putting off that fueling till tomorrow, and then running late and there's a line.

It's really astounding, once you have that moment, and then, even for longer trips, the little extra planning becomes second nature, and it's just no big thing, you find yourself at a Wawa for 15 minutes, relaxing with some Netflix, and then you really have an epiphany :D

That was definitely me - and I say this as someone who has friends who are long time Tesla owners (who talked about this with me over the years), as an engineer that tends to really analyze things - but as someone who drove ICE vehicles for a long time.

And I'd go so far as to say you can't and won't until you have the car in your possession. Then is slowly dawns on you, as you come and go, and as you're constantly "topped off", and as you drive past gas stations, and don't worry about "is the car ready", or putting off that fueling till tomorrow, and then running late and there's a line.

It's really astounding, once you have that moment, and then, even for longer trips, the little extra planning becomes second nature, and it's just no big thing, you find yourself at a Wawa for 15 minutes, relaxing with some Netflix, and then you really have an epiphany :D

Quoted for truth!

I’m very lucky in that NJ, physically, isn’t that big of a state. My “a ha” moment was when I realized there’s absolutely nowhere in NJ I can’t reach on a single charge. Unless I’m crossing into NY, PA or DE, charging isn’t even something I need to think about. I just get in and go.

It’s very freeing, once you wrap your brain around it!

People dont realize how much actual planning goes into "getting gas" because its something you have been doing for years (or in most cases decades) of driving, until you....dont have to do it.

You are right, you dont realize you dont have to do it until you dont have to do it, and realize (over a few weeks normally) what that actually means / does. My wife still has her X3, but she doesnt drive much (6k miles in 3 years on that car), and I almost never drive her car unless we need the SUV space for some reason, which is rare.

She puts gas in her car, so I havent been to a gas station since dec 2018. Its glorious to not have to plan to stop for gas before going to work etc. All that goes out the window if one cant charge at home though, which is why I personally dont recommend people without home charging buy an EV. People do it, "I" wouldnt though.

Its glorious, not having to stop to fill up, always having a full tank of fuel without thinking about it, etc... but I think one should plan on getting that in place (which is normally just a 240V outlet somewhere you park). No wall connector needed, unless someone wants one.

Reactions: XPsionic