Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinkware F770

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem that I see with Blackvues and Thinkwares is that the rear camera does not support 1080p. Also, not sure I see any advantage to wifi unless you need to access the video from your iPhone regularly. IMO, save a few bucks and go for better camera specs than wifi and gps.

Thinkware is 1080p in the rear. Blackvue is not.

F770 | THINKWARE Dash Cam

Camera Sony Exmor CMOS 2.19M(Same for rear camera)
Resolution Front & Rear: Full HD (1920 x 1080P)

Both cameras use the same sensors.

I spent hours researching, they are very close but the Thinkware is better in the rear and high bitrate.

In summary, what I found was both are great choices, Thinkware is better.

I considered the Thinkware but immediately dismissed it due to it's larger footprint in comparison to Blackvue. Aside from video quality, being more discreet is high on my list. Blackvue's website is slow as molasses. I hear both companies aren't very good as far as customer support though.

Just installed the Thinkware f770 last night. I followed the Teslarati Blackvue installation walkthrough (Tesla Model S BlackVue HD Dashcam Installation Guide). It was super easy, just made some adjustments to the front camera wire install since I didn't want to go through the ap2 front camera area in front of the rear view mirror.

One downside I did not anticipate, apparently the Thinkware f770 cannot detect that you shut off the car if you follow the above walkthrough for the Cigarette lighter -> OBD for constant power. This means you cannot activate parking mode when the cameras are wired that way. As I understand it, the Blackvue cameras will still work with parking mode with the same setup.

Trying to see if there is a work-around, but I haven't found anything that doesn't require me re-routing the power.

Just installed the Thinkware f770 last night. I followed the Teslarati Blackvue installation walkthrough (Tesla Model S BlackVue HD Dashcam Installation Guide). It was super easy, just made some adjustments to the front camera wire install since I didn't want to go through the ap2 front camera area in front of the rear view mirror.

One downside I did not anticipate, apparently the Thinkware f770 cannot detect that you shut off the car if you follow the above walkthrough for the Cigarette lighter -> OBD for constant power. This means you cannot activate parking mode when the cameras are wired that way. As I understand it, the Blackvue cameras will still work with parking mode with the same setup.

Trying to see if there is a work-around, but I haven't found anything that doesn't require me re-routing the power.

I didn't take a picture of it, but basically, use the rear view mirror harness. It's got switched 12V that works perfectly for this application.

I order the thinkware F770 last weekend and should be getting it tomorrow also. I wanted to use parking mode. I narrow it down to 3 options

1. Purchase the F770 (amazon) $299 Thinkware hard wire kit for $30 had have a local shop install @ $85hr x 2 hrs est. total $499

2. Purchase the F770 (amazon) $299 Thinkware hard wire kit for $30 install myself est. 4-8hrs. total $329

3. Purchase from F770 (blackboxmycar.com) and Cellink B + Spliced Hardwire Kit ($20 discount code(CARCAMCENTRAL20) install myself 1hr. total $479.99

I went with option 3 because it involves zero splicing into the Model S wiring.

The set up looks like

Cellink B -> Cigarette lighter (ACC 12v) and Cellink B -> F770

This is how it will work

When the car is "ON"
Cigarette lighter has power and sends power to the Cellink B this will charge the Cellink B and send 12v to the constant wire of the F770 turning on the DashCam mode.

When the car is "OFF"
Cigarette lighter will not have power and will not send power to the Cellink B. The Cellink B will stop charging and send 12v to the ACC wire of the F770 turning on the Parking mode.

RogerTheShrubber I also live in 95687 if you want when I get it in we can meet up so you check it out.

Last edited:
I order the thinkware F770 last weekend and should be getting it tomorrow also. I wanted to use parking mode. I narrow it down to 3 options

1. Purchase the F770 (amazon) $299 Thinkware hard wire kit for $30 had have a local shop install @ $85hr x 2 hrs est. total $499

2. Purchase the F770 (amazon) $299 Thinkware hard wire kit for $30 install myself est. 4-8hrs. total $329

3. Purchase from F770 (blackboxmycar.com) and Cellink B + Spliced Hardwire Kit ($20 discount code(CARCAMCENTRAL20) install myself 1hr. total $479.99

I went with option 3 because it involves zero splicing into the Model S wiring.

The set up looks like

Cellink B -> Cigarette lighter (ACC 12v) and Cellink B -> F770

This is how it will work

When the car is "ON"
Cigarette lighter has power and sends power to the Cellink B this will charge the Cellink B and send 12v to the constant wire of the F770 turning on the DashCam mode.

When the car is "OFF"
Cigarette lighter will not have power and will not send power to the Cellink B. The Cellink B will stop charging and send 12v to the ACC wire of the F770 turning on the Parking mode.

RogerTheShrubber I also live in 95687 if you want when I get it in we can meet up so you check it out.

I was considering getting one of the battery packs, sounds like it will work out great.

A meetup sounds great! Can't wait to see it.

I didn't take a picture of it, but basically, use the rear view mirror harness. It's got switched 12V that works perfectly for this application.

The reason I was concerned trying this was that the pictures I saw seemed to be from pre-ap2 (maybe pre-ap1?) cars and the mirror assembly seemed a bit different with the ap2 car.

finally got to put theF770 into today
This is how everything will get wired together

IMG_1041.JPG

Since I have the Tesla center console . The battery fits perfect in the forward compartment.

IMG_1040.JPG

I pulled the cup holders out, the plastic under the and the phone doc cover.

Then plugged the power in to cigarette lighter and ran the cable via the phone doc and under all the plastic.

everything fits and closed perfect.

In the very front inside of the center console it has an opening that i fished the wire trough for the camera

IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1048.JPG

The rest of the installation was just like the rest of the dash cam.

Everything works with zero splicing.

When the car is "ON"

When the car is "OFF"

hope this help

This thread might help. I plan on installing my think where F770 as soon as my car gets back from having a full XPel wrap done. It shows both switched and non-switched power supply in the microphone area near the mirror.
Installation of a Radar Detector and Dashcam - I found switched power!!!

I'm interested if you find switched 12V in your car (sounds like you have HW2 AP?). I think the original post finding it was in an AP1 car. It's pretty hard to see the colors of the wires without unwrapping, and it seems Tesla change wiring colours frequently so I think it's going to take some trial and error to find.

I'm interested if you find switched 12V in your car (sounds like you have HW2 AP?). I think the original post finding it was in an AP1 car. It's pretty hard to see the colors of the wires without unwrapping, and it seems Tesla change wiring colours frequently so I think it's going to take some trial and error to find.
I get my car back from getting wrapped this evening , I will probably do the ThinkWare install Sunday. I will post with what I find out.

Yes, you are correct, once I got my car back, it looks like the additional wire ain't tgere on my HW2. For now , I'm going to use the Cig lighter until I can ascertain the needed wire.