Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Is The Model 3 Pre-Order Gift

Was this the pre-order gift you expected?

• Yes

Votes: 181 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 87 32.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You cannot. They'll tell you: go ahead and print the account statement yourself and hang it on the wall (showing that you own 1 share).

You indirectly can, I've just sort of done this, from the UK. It has been a long process but will be easier (and hopefully cheaper) for anyone in the US, especially if you can find a broker who does not charge for DRS export.

Please do not waste money on these gift cert services as they are charging a significant markup for something you can do (and have more control over, yourself).

Open a US brokerage account (send ID and W8BEN tax form if outside the US and wait), transfer money to brokerage account (pay fee and currency conversion loading if applicable $30ish plus base value of the share plus the fees to execute the trade and then transfer out) and wait, buy a share(s) (pay fee $15ish), transfer into Direct Registration Scheme (pay fee $50ish and wait), send in W8-BEN form if outside the US and wait, register for online investor portal and await activation code, request paper certificate (pay fee $25) and wait.

If you buy a share via a broker, your share will be held in their 'street name' with the transfer agent. If you transfer the share into DRS, then the share(s) is registered in your name with the transfer agent.

I started the process around the 24th April, so will have been around 9-10 weeks.

You indirectly can, I've just sort of done this, from the UK. It has been a long process but will be easier (and hopefully cheaper) for anyone in the US, especially if you can find a broker who does not charge for DRS export.

Please do not waste money on these gift cert services as they are charging a significant markup for something you can do (and have more control over, yourself).

Open a US brokerage account (send ID and W8BEN tax form if outside the US and wait), transfer money to brokerage account (pay fee and currency conversion loading if applicable $30ish plus base value of the share plus the fees to execute the trade and then transfer out) and wait, buy a share(s) (pay fee $15ish), transfer into Direct Registration Scheme (pay fee $50ish and wait), send in W8-BEN form if outside the US and wait, register for online investor portal and await activation code, request paper certificate (pay fee $25) and wait.

If you buy a share via a broker, your share will be held in their 'street name' with the transfer agent. If you transfer the share into DRS, then the share(s) is registered in your name with the transfer agent.

I started the process around the 24th April, so will have been around 9-10 weeks.

I stand corrected. This really seems like a "no hassle straight forward not overly time consuming and mentally taxing" way of doing it.

@Jay1001,

Are you Serious??? I mean you are among the first on the list to receive this groundbreaking, history making car. I would kill to be in your position. Unfortunately I'm like 275,000 on the list. What more do you want? Some people are unbelievable. Greed personified. How ungracious. Some things are never enough for some people. How about you just cancel your reservation since Elon hasn't done 'enough for you' and I move up one in line. Thanks in Advance.

Your response is 'disappointing'.

Rant over.

Ski
I was simply expressing my opinion and I don't think I am a very greedy person as you described as I wasn't expecting a free upgrade on options or anything crazy like that, I was more hoping for a match size model 3 like many other have hoped/discussed as it is Special. This sketch....it isn't special to us who preordered in a sense that it was also given to hundreds of reporters who were at the reveal event. On the other hand, a model car on my shelf would be something much better to look at.

And lastly, I like the Tesla brand very much and that's why I decided to wait in line that day, there is no doubt that we all love Tesla but let's just chill; there no need to get defensive.

I was simply expressing my opinion and I don't think I am a very greedy person as you described as I wasn't expecting a free upgrade on options or anything crazy like that, I was more hoping for a match size model 3 like many other have hoped/discussed as it is Special. This sketch....it isn't special to us who preordered in a sense that it was also given to hundreds of reporters who were at the reveal event. On the other hand, a model car on my shelf would be something much better to look at.

And lastly, I like the Tesla brand very much and that's why I decided to wait in line that day, there is no doubt that we all love Tesla but let's just chill; there no need to get defensive.

It's a fair reason in one way to be disappointed because the gift wasn't the particular thing you had envisioned. But it's really about the gesture more than anything else, right? If you didn't expect something "bigger" or more valuable then you have no particular reason to be disappointed.

Reactions: melindav
I don't have my "gift" yet but assume it will come next week.

I was interested to note the following:

1) The Model 3 drawings showed no side mirrors

2) The interior sketch portrayed the center display screen placed much lower than in the prototypes at the Model 3 reveal

3) The interior sketch showed a steering wheel that has a gap at the top

I don't have my "gift" yet but assume it will come next week.

I was interested to note the following:

1) The Model 3 drawings showed no side mirrors

2) The interior sketch portrayed the center display screen placed much lower than in the prototypes at the Model 3 reveal

3) The interior sketch showed a steering wheel that has a gap at the top

These are concept sketches, not design sketches/blue prints.