Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why Sentry Mode rocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That stinks.

My only question with sentry mode is this; i park my car in a public parking lot all day and i was just wondering...say i get a door ding, or someone, god forbid, keys my car. Ok, so now i have a scratch/ding on my car. now what? i call the police? turn in the video? do i really expect them to pursue this person? I mean if it's the guy who stomps on the windshield, sure....but a door ding/key? I dunno, it just seems like cops will laugh at me.

Has anyone actually turned in sentry cam footage and gotten a 'result'?

Reactions: go2realize
That stinks.

My only question with sentry mode is this; i park my car in a public parking lot all day and i was just wondering...say i get a door ding, or someone, god forbid, keys my car. Ok, so now i have a scratch/ding on my car. now what? i call the police? turn in the video? do i really expect them to pursue this person? I mean if it's the guy who stomps on the windshield, sure....but a door ding/key? I dunno, it just seems like cops will laugh at me.

Many people have turned in people that have door dinged their car and were caught on camera.

Technically this is a TeslaCam video. Sentry Mode is only active when parked.

Anyway, maybe that guy didn’t like a lane change you did earlier? Even so there’s never an excuse for throwing objects at a moving vehicle. Did you get a clear shot of their plate at some point? If it were me I’d file a report with the police.

That stinks.

That door ding, or especially keying, could cost thousands of dollars to repair, so whoever did it could be in some serious trouble.

That stinks.

I think if you went to the police with no evidence other than the ability to point out the scratch, they would shrug and do very little. But if you show up wit a USB key that would (hopefully) show the person's face - that might be enough for them to put resources into identifying the person. I've seen police departments starting to post footage like that on facebook, asking for help identifying the person on the footage.

Sort of, I was parked in a city ramp in an end spot when another driver over steered on a corner and hit my rear bumper and kept going. My alarm went off and I got the app alert. I checked the Sentry Mode video and saw the car that hit me but because of poor lighting and video resolution I couldn't read his plate (Even had one of our video editors try to pull a clear image from the video but no luck). Since I had the exact time of the incident and the description of the other car I asked the ramp control center to pull the video and get a plate number. They informed me that they could only release the video to an investigating officer from the Minneapolis PD. So, I filed a police report and was promptly told that the MN PD does not investigate hit and runs with no bodily injury or large property loss.

The video did confirm that I was parked at the time and I won't take a hit on my insurance. I do still have to pay my deductible.

Technically this is a TeslaCam video. Sentry Mode is only active when parked.

Anyway, maybe that guy didn’t like a lane change you did earlier? Even so there’s never an excuse for throwing objects at a moving vehicle. Did you get a clear shot of their plate at some point? If it were me I’d file a report with the police.

Yes, have the plate number from Ohio. The police have the video, will see what comes of this, no damage to the paint BTW.

I wish Tesla Cam was more consistent & more user friendly.
My Mom got in an accident in her MR yesterday & we couldn't get any creditable files either:

1) in the Saved Clips folder - all the files were 1kb ie corrupted.
2) in Recent Clips folder - she was unable to download the last 60 mins of footage & it got overwritten. So we lost out on any footage of what occurred.

Oddly, the Saved Clip folders had the footage from the tow lot.
So we surmised that Sentry Mode wasn't saving clips & that in accident aftermath, she didn't have the ability to save the most recent 60 mins. Totally understandable.

Wish it could have been remotely done with the app & is a feature that could be added.

That said - Still very happy she is in good health.

A lot of times in this situation the disposition falls in between the extremes.

With video of a door ding / parking lot incident / road rage incident, you can certainly get more results than not having the video.

Will the police actually pursue the person to ticket him or charge him criminally? Probably not unless there's a lot of damage or there were other crimes committed in conjunction.

However, identifying the suspect is the key thing here. If you have a license plate or some other means on video to identify the person, then there is certainly a claim to their insurance that can be made. Often, turning the video into your own insurance company will let them find out who the perpetrator is and they can then pursue him.

Reactions: Rottenapplr
A lot of times in this situation the disposition falls in between the extremes.

With video of a door ding / parking lot incident / road rage incident, you can certainly get more results than not having the video.

Will the police actually pursue the person to ticket him or charge him criminally? Probably not unless there's a lot of damage or there were other crimes committed in conjunction.

However, identifying the suspect is the key thing here. If you have a license plate or some other means on video to identify the person, then there is certainly a claim to their insurance that can be made. Often, turning the video into your own insurance company will let them find out who the perpetrator is and they can then pursue him.
Great point about the insurance company! Thanks

I wish we had sentry mode in our Volt when that happened in Ottawa.

45203073061_14693a4865_b.jpg

That stinks.

Sometimes its more than a door ding...

Honestly local police investigations would take forever but this guy actually wears his name on his suit while holding his campaign materials.

Without the video there was zero chance of tracking him down and having him fully pay for all damage and rental.

That stinks.

Yes, I have.

I turned in the video of a door ding happening to insurance, not the police. Clear video of his door hitting my car and license plate caught as the guy drove off. My insurance ran his plates, contacted his insurance, and paid me out for the door ding repair. It was not an insignificant amount of money.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I was very thankful for sentry mode, it was not long after the feature came out.