Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This passed the "70-point mechanical inspection"?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about buying a CPO for a while now, but I've been reading so many horror stories that I am totally going to give up and buy some other car. This is terrible.

Don’t give up! Maybe give it a few months to see if they can fix the process. There was news a few weeks ago that Tesla partnered up with a 3rd party company (Manheim) to support their used car sales.

I can’t say for sure, but I believe they recognized this is a problem and hopefully it starts getting better.

I had the same fear and knew it was a risk going in and even though it didn’t go smooth, it was well worth the trouble and I’m happy with my used model S.

I’d go with a new 3 or private party before I’d give up on Tesla, the cars are like nothing else I’ve ever owned, and most would agree.

Don’t give up! Maybe give it a few months to see if they can fix the process. There was news a few weeks ago that Tesla partnered up with a 3rd party company (Manheim) to support their used car sales.

I can’t say for sure, but I believe they recognized this is a problem and hopefully it starts getting better.

I had the same fear and knew it was a risk going in and even though it didn’t go smooth, it was well worth the trouble and I’m happy with my used model S.

I’d go with a new 3 or private party before I’d give up on Tesla, the cars are like nothing else I’ve ever owned, and most would agree.

Thank you for the encouragement! I am really a fan of what Tesla is doing (I am from the same country as the great Nikola Tesla) and I consider Elon the Tesla of our age and that's why I would absolutely love to own one at some point. Since I drive a lot (18k a year), I would certainly love to have one now.

I test drove both an S and a 3 and they are pretty much the same when it comes to that amazing feeling of driving something different and special. However, I really don't like the 3 from the aesthetic point of view (no offense to any owner here). I was very disappointed when they first released it and I stay that way to this day. Simply not a car for me.

We'll see, I am in no rush and can wait for a while since the car I own now is really fun in its own way. If they fix the process in the next few months, that would be great. If they don't - oh well, maybe one day in a few years I'll just buy a new one :).

Again, don't give up,, you just hear the horror stories and there are plenty of nice cars that are delivered to people every day. People generally only come on to a forum to complain.
Yes they used to make them look like new but there are plenty of owners who turn in very nice cars. When I upgrade and if I trade in to Tesla, someone will get an immaculate car and there are plenty of other owners who take care of them in a similar fashion..

Reactions: darxsys
Again, don't give up,, you just hear the horror stories and there are plenty of nice cars that are delivered to people every day. People generally only come on to a forum to complain.
Yes they used to make them look like new but there are plenty of owners who turn in very nice cars. When I upgrade and if I trade in to Tesla, someone will get an immaculate car and there are plenty of other owners who take care of them in a similar fashion..

True but that is only as long as they don't allow your car to get trashed as a loaner rental. I feel this is how their CPO fleet gets trashed so badly.

As bad as they treat CPO customers, I still think it is worth being patient as they do deliver cars in decent shape. The key is to communicate to them you are not interested in paying for a damaged car and be ready to reject delivery and start your search all over again if they present you with a damaged car at delivery.

If enough people start rejecting damaged cars, they will no longer sell damaged cars...

Last edited:
True but that is only as long as they don't allow your car to get trashed as a loaner rental. I feel this is how their CPO fleet gets trashed so badly.

As bad as they treat CPO customers, I still think it is worth being patient as they do deliver cars in decent shape. The key is to communicate to them you are not interested in paying for a damaged car and be ready to reject deliver and start your search all over again if they present you with a damaged car at delivery.

If enough people start rejecting damaged cars, they will no longer sell damaged cars...

This is what I'm getting, looks to be in pretty good shape. It has body armor too.

Dropbox - 5YJSA1CNXCFP02531 - Simplify your life

As bad as they treat CPO customers, I still think it is worth being patient as they do deliver cars in decent shape. The key is to communicate to them you are not interested in paying for a damaged car and be ready to reject delivery and start your search all over again if they present you with a damaged car at delivery.

Yes, that's a good point. My sales advisor has been very pushy, telling me things like "inventory is running out, act quickly" and trying to get me to buy damaged and scratched cars (obviously heavily curbed, broken pieces of the body etc) and I had to be very clear, even borderline rude a few times to tell him I am not interested in crappy stuff. $50-60k is way too much money to get damaged goods. Not to mention how he didn't even pay attention to the specs I told him I want and would send me random cars that just happened to be in the price range. So yeah, definitely going to hold off for at least a few months, it isn't worth it at this point.

This is what I'm getting, looks to be in pretty good shape. It has body armor too.

How much is it? With so many damaged things on that car, I wouldn't even consider it tbh.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
Yes, that's a good point. My sales advisor has been very pushy, telling me things like "inventory is running out, act quickly" and trying to get me to buy damaged and scratched cars (obviously heavily curbed, broken pieces of the body etc) and I had to be very clear, even borderline rude a few times to tell him I am not interested in crappy stuff. $50-60k is way too much money to get damaged goods. Not to mention how he didn't even pay attention to the specs I told him I want and would send me random cars that just happened to be in the price range. So yeah, definitely going to hold off for at least a few months, it isn't worth it at this point.

How much is it? With so many damaged things on that car, I wouldn't even consider it tbh.
What looks so bad to you? It looks beautiful to me. It was 33.4k.

I love how they made the CPO photos such low resolution that you can just about tell the color of the car but not much else.

Tesla should start running workshops for car dealers on how to lower the used car buying experience... :p

"You are doing it all wrong! How are you going to sell your damaged cars if you take high resolution photos and the customer sees all the damage? Just use our pixel smoothing filter and then downscale the resolution to 640 X 480 and it is good as new! See, much cheaper than refurbishing and selling a quality used car. The other thing to watch for is don't let those crazy customers inspect or test drive the car. Just get their money, have them sign the paperwork and tell them congratulations and run away!" :rolleyes:

Sadly, how they sell CPO cars is not that much different from the description above.

I love how they made the CPO photos such low resolution that you can just about tell the color of the car but not much else.

Tesla should start running workshops for car dealers on how to lower the used car buying experience... :p

"You are doing it all wrong! How are you going to sell your damaged cars if you take high resolution photos and the customer sees all the damage? Just use our pixel smoothing filter and then downscale the resolution to 640 X 480 and it is good as new! See, much cheaper than refurbishing and selling a quality used car. The other thing to watch for is don't let those crazy customers inspect or test drive the car. Just get their money, have them sign the paperwork and tell them congratulations and run away!" :rolleyes:

Sadly, how they sell CPO cars is not that much different from the description above.
You're right on all accounts, the only thing saving me in this whole process is the 2yr warranty. Otherwise, I wouldn't be buying a cpo.

My SC didn't have loaners recently and the local storage yard is loaded with Tesla's, so assuming every Tesla used car has been a loaner isn't correct.
I was told by a Tesla employee that a car I was researching was indeed immaculate. I was following it down to 63 and almost bit, then it shot to mid 70 and while waiting for it to come back down under 65, someone else snagged it at 67.

My SC didn't have loaners recently and the local storage yard is loaded with Tesla's, so assuming every Tesla used car has been a loaner isn't correct.
I was told by a Tesla employee that a car I was researching was indeed immaculate. I was following it down to 63 and almost bit, then it shot to mid 70 and while waiting for it to come back down under 65, someone else snagged it at 67.

The friggin random price changes (up and down) drove me nuts...