Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those “cheap tires” review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well why are you even buying a Tesla? Don't you know that the Tesla stops in 118 feet from 60??? The Corvette stops in 90 feet that's a full 28 foot difference!!!!

Hell the BMW M3 and Caddilac CTS both stop a full 20 feet sooner than a Tesla!! How could you be so inconsiderate to pedestrians by driving a Tesla?!?!?

See how crazy that sounds? Get off your high horse about someones tire choice. How many times is someone involved in a wreck solely based on the stopping distance between two tires? divide that number by the total number of cars on the road. If you really want to do the best for stopping wrecks and saving lives, drive one ot the cars I mentioned.
I’m glad I read this far down the comments. I was going to post virtually the same thing. If someone was truly concerned about stopping and handling they would be bad mouthing Tesla and many other car companies for building cars that put the general public at greater risk by building cars that don’t perform anywhere near as well as many mass market cars in terms of handling and stopping power.

I think maybe you're just trolling?

The Corvette comes with max performance summer rubber to get those stopping distance results. How well does it stop on bargain basement tires? It seems tire choice is independent of car choice and maybe ANY automobile can be made to perform better or worse by changing the one thing that makes contact with the road?

Your argument seems disingenuous at best. That's probably the reason for the "disagrees"

Maybe OPs tires are just fine. But maybe it's worth actually comparing the various quoted metrics in his review using repeatable measurements before deciding one way or the other?
Tire brand is not the only factor in stopping distance. There are many factors that add or subtract from braking efficiency. The Corvette stops quickly due to the advanced suspension design that prevents nose dive and thus has less weight transfer to the front and subsequent unloading of the rear tires. They also have very wide front tires to increase traction even during the minimized weight transfer. I believe that Tesla has virtually the same stopping distance even with the Goodyear 245/45R19 standard tires that are a much lower performance tire that the optional Michelin or Continental 245-265/35R21 rubber.

Wouldn't the acceleration be affected as well if the braking distance is affected?
Acceleration would be affected and is affected by traction but the model S and X have virtually the same acceleration with the high performance 21”/22” tires as they have with the 19”/20” all season tires. There are many more important factors affecting the braking and acceleration performance than the tires that are equipped on cars. Not to be rude but most comments posted in this tread are from people that are just posting their uneducated opinions of what they have seen or read in tire advertising/propaganda. Yes braking can be affected by a tire with very low performance but replacement of a tire with a tire with an incredibly high level of performance would not improve improve braking unless the vehicle was limited by the existing tire performance. Tires legally sold in the US must meet DOT standards. Most of the performance difference in tires when installed on a non high performance cars are in ride noise, tread life, durability and fuel economy. Tesla builds "P” cars that are very fast cars but they are not cars built for handling and braking. The optional tires on Tesla’s cars are more for visual or perceived differences rather than a performance change. In full disclosure I have the big wheels and OEM tires on my Teslas and think they look much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: d-bone
Cheap asian tires have been around a long time. Usually offer good value, but not top tier performance nor weight capacity.
Buyer needs to take lots of things into consideration, especially how they drive.

Comparing a brand new full tread tire to a many year old, worn out OEM tire is not a fair comparison.

Some tires are pretty quiet running when they are fresh and new, but howl like crazy when the tread gets worn down.

Try doing some research on www.tirerack.com. There is objective data as well as subjective opinions from real verified owners of just about every tire out there. One caveat, though, take with a grain of salt any ratings on tires with less than a million owner miles on them - ratings generally slip lower when enough owners have racked up higher mile usage on a given tire. Good example - I decided to go with Kumho Solus TA71's for my S85. At the time, it was rated second in class after the Michelin, but only had 400K miles worth of owner ratings. Now, 2 years later, it has dropped to 5th place. First 5000 miles, I was in LOVE with them - grippier and quieter than the OEM Michelins - at HALF the price. BUT over the next 20,000 miles they became noisier and noisier to where they now sound like a Semi. Most of the noise is probably being generated by the inside tread row which has become over-worn and cupped due to the ridiculous (non-adjustable) rear camber. The OEM Michelins did NOT do this. Guess I'll go back to the TireRack ratings again when the Kumhos are done. Soon, I hope - I keep on looking in the rear-view for that Semi....

Last edited:
Sarcasm...

Should consider any person buying a Model 3 irresponsible. Consumer Report shows M3 took 152 feet, on average, to come to a stop from 60 miles an hour. That was seven feet more than a Ford F-150 full-size truck needed, according to the magazine. It's about 20 feet longer than the average for other cars similar to the Model 3.

Ericsch- how did your Kuhmo tires last on your S? I just bought some and Discount Tire told me recommended pressure was 36 and Tesla recommended 45 or the low pressure light would come on. Wondering if you air up to 45 and if your tires have lasted. Matt

Ericsch- how did your Kuhmo tires last on your S? I just bought some and Discount Tire told me recommended pressure was 36 and Tesla recommended 45 or the low pressure light would come on. Wondering if you air up to 45 and if your tires have lasted. Matt

Can't speak to the tires but can confirm the red exclamation point warning message comes on at 41 PSI saying "tire pressure very low, pull over now".

Read the maximum tire pressure printed on the sidewall, you should always go by the car manufacturers tire pressure as long as it doesn’t exceed the max rating on the tire. That’s basic automotive 101

BABA040C-DBEF-49BC-8118-EFEE43CA1892.jpeg

Here is pics of the rims

Sarcasm...

Should consider any person buying a Model 3 irresponsible. Consumer Report shows M3 took 152 feet, on average, to come to a stop from 60 miles an hour. That was seven feet more than a Ford F-150 full-size truck needed, according to the magazine. It's about 20 feet longer than the average for other cars similar to the Model 3.

I believe that was reduced to 133 ft with an OTA update.

Consumer Reports reverses course and now recommends the Tesla Model 3