Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on M3 wheels? Especially after market options?

What would you do?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a white model 3 with the Aero wheels. I haven't received the car yet but Ive been debating what to do with the wheels. Im not sure if I want to keep the Aeros. I prefer the black/grey turbine look on the white car. The Sport wheels are cool but the silver wheel on white car look isn't as cool for me as the darker look. I also car about suspension issues but Im more driven by aesthetics at this point.

So my option are:
1) Keep the Aero for now
2) Upgrade to after market wheels
3) Upgrade to the Sport tire and powder the wheels dark

One question I have about the after market option is that if I buy non Tesla rims, I have to buy different tires. So if I popped a tire, I assume Tesla wouldn't be able to help replace my tire? And I would have to wait to get new tires shipped to me? Do you guys think my assumption is correct or is it not really an issue?

Any other thoughts about these options about would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I just bought a white model 3 with the Aero wheels. I haven't received the car yet but Ive been debating what to do with the wheels. Im not sure if I want to keep the Aeros. I prefer the black/grey turbine look on the white car. The Sport wheels are cool but the silver wheel on white car look isn't as cool for me as the darker look. I also car about suspension issues but Im more driven by aesthetics at this point.

So my option are:
1) Keep the Aero for now
2) Upgrade to after market wheels
3) Upgrade to the Sport tire and powder the wheels dark

One question I have about the after market option is that if I buy non Tesla rims, I have to buy different tires. So if I popped a tire, I assume Tesla wouldn't be able to help replace my tire? And I would have to wait to get new tires shipped to me? Do you guys think my assumption is correct or is it not really an issue?

Any other thoughts about these options about would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Have you looked into the aero wheel caps? $35 on Tesla website (when in stock). Allows you to have 2 looks at a cheap price.

Have you looked into the aero wheel caps? $35 on Tesla website (when in stock). Allows you to have 2 looks at a cheap price.
OP, this is the look I opted for...uncovered Aeros properly dressed with Tesla logo center cap and lug nut covers (see profile pic). Like you, I prefer a dark wheel when lighter paint is involved, and this is a ~$30 solution that still leaves me the ability to pop on the Aero covers for max range on road trips as desired (oh, and keep $1500 in my pocket on Day One, not to mention less expensive tire replacements forever, and a smoother ride than the 19s).

FWIW, I found the stock 19 wheels to have an odd coating; makes them look plastic to my eye up close. If you've not seen them up close, worth a look before you configure.

OP, this is the look I opted for...uncovered Aeros properly dressed with Tesla logo center cap and lug nut covers (see profile pic). Like you, I prefer a dark wheel when lighter paint is involved, and this is a ~$30 solution that still leaves me the ability to pop on the Aero covers for max range on road trips as desired (oh, and keep $1500 in my pocket on Day One, not to mention less expensive tire replacements forever, and a smoother ride than the 19s).

FWIW, I found the stock 19 wheels to have an odd coating; makes them look plastic to my eye up close. If you've not seen them up close, worth a look before you configure.
I ordered the kit as well and will go this route if my M3 ever gets a VIN. Do you have pics of yours?

I ordered the kit as well and will go this route if my M3 ever gets a VIN. Do you have pics of yours?
Configured on 2/15, so it's but a twinkle in my eye right now.
AND, I wasn't able to order to wheel kit prior to it going out of stock, so my hope is to stop by the SC and order the equivalent pieces for a Model S (the old fashioned way, in short). I really really really do not want to take delivery without the aero covers removed and the new bits in place.

Thanks for that suwaneedad. I still get such conflicting reports on 18 vs 19 wheels getting a smoother ride. I took a drive in a M3 with 19 wheels and overall I loved the ride but there was one strip of the freeway where my head was bobbing up and down so I just assumed the 18 would be smoother. But the common feedback Im getting is that bigger wheels = smoother ride. I don't have anything to compare my experience with so its a bit confusing.

I'd wait for the AWD version to come out since it may bring some new sexy wheels along with it (Tesla Model 3 with 20" wheel option could be coming for dual motor configurations)

The "problem" with bigger wheels that people will often mention is that you typically get lower profile tires to go with them. Lower profile means the thickness of the tire when looking at the car from the side, basically the larger wheels have "slimmer" tires on them. These thinner/slimmer tires then result in a harsher ride since you have less rubber and air between you and the road.

EVWheelDirect also sells some 18" rims that can utilize the stock tires, so that's a nice upgrade for ~$1K.

I'd wait for the AWD version to come out since it may bring some new sexy wheels along with it (Tesla Model 3 with 20" wheel option could be coming for dual motor configurations)

The "problem" with bigger wheels that people will often mention is that you typically get lower profile tires to go with them. Lower profile means the thickness of the tire when looking at the car from the side, basically the larger wheels have "slimmer" tires on them. These thinner/slimmer tires then result in a harsher ride since you have less rubber and air between you and the road.

EVWheelDirect also sells some 18" rims that can utilize the stock tires, so that's a nice upgrade for ~$1K.

Thanks for breaking that down. I didnt really understand the concept of bigger wheel means less tire but now I get it. and yeah that 20' rim is HOT.

Those are photoshopped versions of the sport wheels to simulate how they would look if they were painted in a dark grey.

Personally it’s the look I’m going for as well but I went with the 19” turbines in grey from EVwheels direct since they currently have free worldwide shipping. Now I just need to wait a year until the RHD version of the car ships

Those are photoshopped versions of the sport wheels to simulate how they would look if they were painted in a dark grey.

Personally it’s the look I’m going for as well but I went with the 19” turbines in grey from EVwheels direct since they currently have free worldwide shipping. Now I just need to wait a year until the RHD version of the car ships

I think you nailed it. It probably was a photoshopped version. Thanks for the EVwheels tip. That might be the perfect solution. I want those dark turbines! :)