TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Thoughts on no battery badge?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by emir-t, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. emir-t

emir-t Member

I'm still not 100% sue this isn't interim but isn't this "standart battery", "longer range battery" feeling a little weird?

Much like BMW's series-engine volume-fuel type badging system Tesla had it covered with P/non-P - capacity - D/non-D system.

Now with the 3 are they dumbing it down for non geek people? Are they changing the whole system? Will we have that with the S-X? Is this interim and we will have 3 55, 3 75D etc?

Surely they can't keep two vehicles with a seperate badging system forever. Also in a year or so they will need a badge to make Ludicrous owners differentiate themselves. I'm putting my money on being an interim solution but can't figure out why they would not give battery specs. If this is permanent it will be like, iPad, the new iPad naming fail all over again.

• Like x 1
  2. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Tesla is slow with updating the cars. The Model S went months without a HEPA filter, while the Model X got it. I presume they'll update the S/X sometime after "production hell". Model S still doesn't have self-opening/closing doors.

• Like x 1
  3. timk225

timk225 Member

I'm sure a 55, 60, or 75 badge is easy to find on ebay. That, a little clear RTV, and stick it on the trunk lid yourself. I will.

4. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

It remains to be seen. Tesla has a history of dropping visible specs (that have caused them concern), e.g. HPs removed entirely after they got sued and lost for misrepresenting them on the Model S. Similarly they have started to offer similar packaging/grouping in place of the Design Studio for Model S/X in some markets, replacing detailed customization with broadly titled packagings...

So, certainly the idea that Tesla might re-label their model versions is possible.

However, it is also possible they are just wanting to hide the kWh numbers for two reasons: to avoid comparisons with Bolt (kWh is probably less than Bolt for Standard) as well as avoid harmful Model S/X low-end model comparisons, if Model 3 has the same or even better large battery... after all, there is the rumor/speculation that Tesla is transitioning Model S/X to 85 kWh base model for this reason...

We shall see, but this could be just an intermediate solution. But it also could be a sign of things to come.

• Like x 1
  5. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I believe the tags will be the range.

Tesla is selling range now.... not batteries.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  6. AnxietyRanger

A potential idea, yes.

I wonder how would that work, model numbers in miles, also in countries where kilometers are used instead? What about countries where range is calculated differently...

Going for simply worded model / battery names and no badges might be easier...

7. Garlan Garner

Sorry for being curt, however......

I'm tired of everything being listed as kilo's and centi's in the US. I think its time for those in other countries to experience miles. Tesla is a US based company.

310 in the US should mean 310 every where else.

• Disagree x 9
  8. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

We don't need no stinkin badges!

Cars look better without badges.

Badges get in the way of the clean lines and smooth aerospace-looking sheet metal in the same way fuel port doors, grills, exhaust holes and other anachronisms do.

• Like x 6
  9. Garlan Garner

How in the world will you know that you have outdone your neighbor if there is no public way to prove it?

• Funny x 9
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  10. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

I think it's a good move to be debadged. Not having the latest version when Tesla suddenly upgrades their cars has been a source of stress for many buyers. Now we will no longer be advertising to the world that we are driving outdated hardware!

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  11. Garlan Garner

Yeah like the model S that has the giant nosecone.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. AnxietyRanger

I have no emotions attached to this question, just pondering out loud.

For all I care, they can use miles range as the badge globally, but the problem is that an EPA mile range will look pretty bad compared to a NEDC kilometer range from the competition. That Tesla 310 would look pretty sucky compared to the Audi "500". :)

13. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Ah, the all important shameless materialist demographic. Forgot about that one. Tesla is doooomed without badges! :p:p:p

14. Garlan Garner

I don't think so.

The BMW 3M is pretty nice. I wouldn't mind a Tesla 3 on the back on one side with a 310 on the other.

15. AnxietyRanger

Nothing wrong with a Model 3 badge, of course.

My point is just that model numbers 220 and 310 mean nothing in many markets, or if anything they remind people of lowend BMWs. I get it that they do make sense in countries that use U.S./similar miles. But an EPA miles range badge may not be any kind of badge of honor in Europe where range is being thought of in terms of NEDC kilometers, which I guess is roughly twice as large a number...

16. Garlan Garner

I don't know what a M3 means on the BMW, but I know what it is.

I don't really care what badges mean to others. They had better learn then.

A badge of Model S or Model X doesn't mean much at all to a lot of "non" tesla ICE drivers.

17. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

When you think about it, is it really necessary to advertise the size of your "fuel" tank? Maybe I should put a "12.1" on the back of my Prius.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I saw a P60D once. SMH

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. Garlan Garner

Well if they do indeed badge the car with mileage....I'm going to put a 1000 on mine. Forget that 310 badge.

Or maybe a 1K. That might be cheaper than 4 characters.

20. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

LOL, the entire world, except the U.S., Liberia and Myanmar use the SI system... soooo they should bend to our will?? All scientists, most manufacturers and all the US automakers switched to SI years ago. If anything we should adopt kilometers and drop the miles. Time to give up the old British Imperial system, where 1 mile is equal to 10 furlongs, which equals 80 chains... whatever the heck those are.

Miles = .62 km
    km = 1.61 miles

If that is confusing, just run a 10K to clear your head :)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1