Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the Mustang Mach E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New I heard a rumor that they will install chargers at Ford dealerships and those are all over the place. ---that is true. I ordered a Mach E last night in the extended battery and AWD fashion. I have a home in a state where no Tesla stores or service centers exist.

What I heard (sorry, I don't have a URL to the reference) is that any Ford dealer that wants to sell the Mach-E will need to have at least one J1772 Level 2 EVSE. That's not a big selling point, and certainly won't help much if you're looking for long-distance travel or for apartment-dwellers to charge. That said, perhaps this is just the minimum requirement and Ford is pushing for multiple EVSEs and/or DC fast chargers at dealerships. Note that there have been photos of Ford and Lincoln EVSEs that are styled similarly to Tesla Superchargers, but they're just Level 2 J1772 EVSEs, not DC fast chargers. In the end, I fully expect that most DC fast charging of these vehicles will occur at Electrify America, EVgo, ChargePoint, and other third-party DC fast charging stations. Fortunately, these networks are building out pretty quickly.

One question not being asked, what is the longevity of the batteries? Tesla is known for their incredible battery technology, but what about Ford? Who will be their supplier or if it’s in-house (doubtful?), how robust will these batteries be?

The reports I've read (again, sorry, I didn't save any URLs) noted that LG Chem will be supplying the batteries for this car. They supply batteries for the Chevy Bolt (among others), and the Bolt's batteries seem to be holding up reasonably well, so that's a positive sign. Of course, the battery cooling/heating system and the battery management system are also important. I don't happen to know if the Mach-E will have liquid cooling like most EVs or rely on air cooling like the Leaf. If the latter I'd be suspicious of battery life, but if the former I'd predict battery life will be OK, absent other negative information.

Even as im not a fan of SUV/CUV, i think it looks fantastic. The smooth EV front end is nice. The rear quarter bulge is sporty. And overall shape/profile is very athletic.

Battery is really high capacity (75-100kWh). Motor output is not that good - 250hp SR/RWD --> 330hp ER/AWD --> unknown for GT. Though it is more than adequate for everyone .

I like the double display inside with the dash behind the steering wheel.

It's just that I dont trust Ford technology, and this is a software-centric car. Their Sync system has been horrendous.

The car is a good proposition on paper, but i'll let other people be the guinea pig for their first EV product
This is my biggest detractor, not the charging network. The rwd/100kw battery only getting 300mi of range and the performance version awd/100kw battery only getting 235 miles of range. It reminds of the old american muscle cars... instead of putting in more efficient motors, they're adding big power hungry motors to get the 0-60 performance times.

Hopefullly this will attract more EV buyers, but Ford is still years behind Tesla and others in EV battery/motor technology.

Twins?

MachE.png
eTron Sportback.png

The last one is the recently announced Audi e-Tron Sportback.

(post idea shamelessly copied from Norwegian elbilforum Ford Mach-E vs konkurrenter)

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
just what I want to do. Spend my time at a dealership when instead I could be at the supercharger locations by restaurants and stores.
Depends on the dealership. The one that serviced my previous car (a BMW) had a nice lounge where you could get free espresso drinks. Not that different from Tesla's nifty lounge at the Kettleman City supercharger. :p

Depends on the dealership. The one that serviced my previous car (a BMW) had a nice lounge where you could get free espresso drinks. Not that different from Tesla's nifty lounge at the Kettleman City supercharger. :p

Oh, yeah, my old Lexus dealership in TX was amazing. They had two lounges one with the TV and one "quiet" one with comfy leather club chairs. They had fresh baked cookies and free coffee/soda/water. The restrooms were always spotless. Granted, not all Lexus dealerships were that nice, but that one was a very nice place to spend a few hours.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Im waiting to see that new Mistang EV side by side with the GT500 in their show room and folks read the specs and learn the EV outperforms the GT500 while in the showroom. That's going to be interesting! Then again maybe all this Ford EV stuff is just propaganda on their part.

How exactly does this Mustang EV outperform a 760hp GT500?

You're making this a joke. No one is expecting the only fast chargers will exist at the dealership. Not when Lincoln and Ford have already "copied" the Tesla SuperCharger hardware design.

It’s just that when many despise dealerships, I wouldn’t put so much emphasis on having charging locations at dealerships. And as others have stated, they are often only available during business hours (as I have been affected by this) and probably will not have 8+ spots available for charging. Maybe 1 or 2. So yes, every additional charging location is a good thing. But some locations are better than others.

It’s just that when many despise dealerships, I wouldn’t put so much emphasis on having charging locations at dealerships. And as others have stated, they are often only available during business hours (as I have been affected by this) and probably will not have 8+ spots available for charging. Maybe 1 or 2. So yes, every additional charging location is a good thing. But some locations are better than others.
And there’s a good chance that chargers at dealerships will often be occupied by cars that are being delivered or serviced. Here in NY, our Syosset SC used to have chargers you could use if you were lucky, but today it’s virtually impossible. I would not count on dealerships if I were planning a trip.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I like the fact that Ford is getting into the game. When you really look at it though, it's a bit pricey. I went to their website and priced out a premium, long range, AWD and here's what I came up with:

Range: 270 miles
0-60: Mid 5 seconds
Price: $58,300

So even after the full tax refund it's $50,800 for a car that's 1 second slower and gets 50 miles less range than a Tesla LR AWD.

It's probably more of an apples to apples comparison with a Model Y since it's a crossover which will also be a little slower, have less range and cost more than a Model 3 so with the tax rebate it should be pretty price competitive.

Strange choice to use the Mustang brand. I know a couple Mustang fans that are furious that they made a Mustang crossover. They don't have a problem with the EV part, just the crossover part.

The reports I've read (again, sorry, I didn't save any URLs) noted that LG Chem will be supplying the batteries for this car. They supply batteries for the Chevy Bolt (among others), and the Bolt's batteries seem to be holding up reasonably well, so that's a positive sign. Of course, the battery cooling/heating system and the battery management system are also important. I don't happen to know if the Mach-E will have liquid cooling like most EVs or rely on air cooling like the Leaf.

Info and photos about the Mach-E battery pack can be found here:

Mustang Mach-E powertrain: up close and personal

• Informative
Reactions: gavine