Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the new Roadster’s “over 250mph” top speed claim by Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only if you cooled the compressed air to begin with. Even then, without a phase change, it's way less efficient than adding additional AC compressor capacity.
But the compressed air is already cooler than the heat coming out of the motor. I can see how the expansion benefit might be outweighed by the weight of the heat pump and any mechanism for transfer from solid to gas if the transfer rate is low.

Speaking of phase change, at current COPV pressures do you still have to cool air below -200C to make it liquid? I realize a COPV is no vacuum container.

Last edited:
But the compressed air is already cooler than the heat coming out of the motor. I can see how the expansion benefit might be outweighed by the weight of the heat pump and any mechanism for transfer from solid to gas if the transfer rate is low.

Speaking of phase change, what is the difference in pressure between a COPV and liquid storage of air? 10x? 1000x? Or at current COPV pressures do you still have to cool air below -200C to make it liquid?

If the tank of air is at ambient sure, but for freshly compressed air (active cooling), the temp rise of a 10:1 compression without heat removal is ~896 F Adiabatic process - Wikipedia
Compressing and releasing the air without intermediate cooling provide hotter air due the work done.

SpaceX runs sub-cooled liquid oxygen, the additional pressure is there for structural reasons. The COPVs hold helium to maintain tank pressure. I can't find a reference regarding pressure to liquefy air, for Nitrogen, the phase change charts stops at 100 atm (14,700 psi). It's likely not possible What pressure would Air Liquify - Ars Technica OpenForum

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
What can the average person handle in g's? There must be a point where blackouts might occur.

I think that playground rides are limited to 2 or 2.5 g.

I think that the SpaceX options put the car in that range for several seconds; I think that it is initially limited by grip and then later by maximum power)

For example 2 g at 60 mph is ~ 1,000,000 Watts (assuming low losses) At zero mph power is ~ 0 Watts (ignoring losses heating etc).

450 Bugatti Veyrons have been made and sold. 300 coupés and 150 roadsters have been made, the last Veyron was an open-top Grand Sport Vitesse variant, called La Finale. The 450 Veyrons were sold for an average price of about 2.3 million euros ($2.6 million) each
May 30, 2016

450 x 2,600,000 = 1,170,000,000/50,000 = 23,400 model 3 at average price of $50,000
==============
Bugatti have manufactured 450 Veyrons till date. There have been 270 Veyron 16.4 (the first variant), 30 Veyron 16.4 Super-Sport (the world record variant), and 150 Veyron Grand-Sports and Grand-Sport Vitesse's. The 450th Bugatti Veyron, Grand-Sport Vitesse La Finale, was unveiled at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show. Bugatti have now increased the number of Chiron's to 500, over a product cycle of around 8 years.

500 (average price over 8 years?? how about $2,000,000?) = $1,000,000,000/50,000 = 20,000 model 3 at average price of $50,000

You get the idea - put in your own numbers. The revolution has started, I think.:rolleyes:

450 Bugatti Veyrons have been made and sold. 300 coupés and 150 roadsters have been made, the last Veyron was an open-top Grand Sport Vitesse variant, called La Finale. The 450 Veyrons were sold for an average price of about 2.3 million euros ($2.6 million) each May 30, 2016 450 x 2,600,000 = 1,170,000,000/50,000 = 23,400 model 3 at average price of $50,000 ==============
Bugatti have manufactured 450 Veyrons till date. There have been 270 Veyron 16.4 (the first variant), 30 Veyron 16.4 Super-Sport (the world record variant), and 150 Veyron Grand-Sports and Grand-Sport Vitesse's. The 450th Bugatti Veyron, Grand-Sport Vitesse La Finale, was unveiled at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show. Bugatti have now increased the number of Chiron's to 500, over a product cycle of around 8 years. 500 (average price over 8 years?? how about $2,000,000?) = $1,000,000,000/50,000 = 20,000 model 3 at average price of $50,000 You get the idea - put in your own numbers. The revolution has started, I think.:rolleyes:

The Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 is a mid-engined sports car, designed and developed in Germany by the Volkswagen Group... think Dieselgate :cool:

Bugatti Veyron - Wikipedia

I would like to know how they are going to get that torque to the ground. I mean my P100D leaves rubber all over the side of my car. It's just nasty. The torque rips the crap out of tires. wonder if the rims will have beedlocks on the inside to stop the tires from slipping.

Here's a photo of the road rash my current tires leave. Just nasty
20180813_112003.jpg
material. get it on all 4 corners too after hard launches.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
it will not be limited by grip if power is provided by thrusters.

I was about to say, but that is only true if your road is very straight, because good luck turning without grip. But then I remember that Elon was even envisioning the thrusters helping to turn the car.

Heck, Elon, just make a fully rocket powered car. You know you want to :p